SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
oklamoni

who lives close to any of the Great Lakes?

OklaMoni
5 years ago

maybe even close enough to see one? I am hoping to ride a loop around the whole group this summer. Would love to meet all KT'ers close by. I don't have an exact route, but know, I want to go west to east across the top of lake Superior.

Moni

Comments (44)

• Rose Pekelnicky
    5 years ago

I live about 12 miles south of Erie, PA which is on the shore of Lake Erie.

• OklaMoni
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hey, Rose, maybe we need to meet? I rode across the north side of Lake Erie in 2004. Never been on the south side before.

• Related Discussions

The Lindley's of Great Lakes Roses

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks for your wonderful posting, Anne. Like many many people, my husband and I really love Roger and Nancy. We're thrilled to hear they are continuing with their retirement successfully, and that Josephine has a happy home. When I think of the generosity, enthusiasm for roses, and knowledge that Roger and Nancy consistently brought to us, I'm not at all surprised that they are continuing some of their efforts through their website, and am extremely grateful. Thanks guys!
    ...See More

Who lives close to Minot, ND? I need hotel info

Q

Comments (6)
    Bismarck is about 107 miles south, takes about 90 minutes. Lots of small towns close by, but trying to think if they have motels. Kelly Inn, right near the Mall, 800 735 5868, Holiday Inn, near the fairgrounds 800 468 9968, Confort Inn, 800 Holiday (sorry, numbers not listed,) Hillcrest Motel, right on Broadway, I do not know anything about this motel, looks clean from the outside--701 852 1214, Days Inn, near Perkins, accross from Market Place Foods, 701 852 3646, The Vegas Motel on Broadway (83) just before you get to town, 701 839 3000. I checked with our local motel in Lansford, and it may be full too, but the cafe is not open after 2pm, only the bar. I would have you here but no room either with grandkids and one bed. A couple of towns between Bismarck and Minot are Underwood and Washburn, about 30-45-min south. If you stay in Bismarck, check for motels around the 94 & 83 interchange. That is just on the northern edge. We stay at Days's Inn but there are others. The reason the base is full is we are getting new squadrons in and also they are remodeling alot of stuff. Talked to a friend of mine who is in the quilter's guild, and she gave me a number you can call. Lynn Heald 701 837 1995. Marie
    ...See More

Living near power lines - how close is too close?

Q

Comments (62)
    Skimming here there are some things to think about The eye sore part: -You can barely see the towers now so there must be some current trees between the house and the towers --but what if something happens to the trees? Disease, more development, the power people feeling the need to cut them down *I would definately try to get a handle on whether there is going to be more development between the house and the power lines -Will winter affect being able to see the towers? -Someone mentioned upgrading - you might want to call the electric company and get an idea of whether they will be upgrading - although it will be hard to find any office or employee that has a clue, you will have to have patience and persistance The risk thing - hard to know. When I was younger I used to worship at sciences feet. As I've gotten older I find scientists tend to be arrogant and absolute. When new findings throw out previous findings which is the nature of science, they don't even blink. They just tout the new findings as the now absolute last word with the same arrogance. I try to do research with information from all sides and apply some common sense and gut feeling. You have to do what feels right for you and don't let anyone make you feel bad for it. Resale - Given a choice I would prefer not to be near power lines. That is of course getting harder to do. You need to really evaluate the bigger picture of the areas people "like you" are looking at. Sounds like schools etc. are important. How many "good" neighborhoods in your price range are affected by a negative (hwy, power lines etc.) Do people have choices? Lkplatow comments: madmartian - I'm in surburban Philadelphia -- close enough to NJ to have the same problems I guess. Too much development, not enough land.... Really the elephant in the room everyone is ignorning is population growth. Although of course I realize a lot of people with chime in with population moving around - growth (whereever it happens) still is a bottom line problem.
    ...See More

RE: Living near power lines - how close is too close?

Q

Comments (11)
    There are different types of Leukemia. So far I haven't found which type was supposedly linked to power lines. I lost my dad to Leukemia in 2006. During the time he was diagnosed I learned a lot about his type which was AML and related to Benzene. He was a mechanic; it was in products we used at the gas station. I worked there 20 years; chances are I will eventually show symptoms :( After my dad died, there were more then 10 people I knew that died from some form of cancer. All of these years I didn't know one person, now there are so many. Except for my dad, I don't recall anyone else that had a type of cancer that was linked to a known cause. If any of you know anyone that worked with Benzene, please have them read up on AML and let them know they need to get their blood tested regularly. People that work/ed in the service station / gasoline field; or a painter are the 2 main professions this affects. I hope that one day cancer will be a thing of the past. My children do not need to lose any more people to this horrible disease. Here is a link that might be useful: Leukemia causes
    ...See More
  • Rose Pekelnicky
    5 years ago

Would love to meet you. Let me know when you are near here

• OklaMoni
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Got you on my list. :)

• drewsmaga
    5 years ago

I lived 1 mile south of Lake Erie for 11 years in NE OH. August can be a brutal month there -- temps well into the 90's with high humidity.

• jemdandy
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I live 20 miles from Lake Michigan on the Wisconsin side.

If you are trying to ride trails and roads within view of Lake Michigan, you will find this difficult because all the shore line that is not park or city is privately owned and these people contrive to keep others away. However, Wisconsin has a program of "rails to trails" whereby abandoned railways have been converted to trails. Many are paved with asphalt. These are by far safer to ride on than public roadways in Wisc. We do have good county roads; Many offer good pleasant rural views, but you can get killed or injured by our drivers.

I recommend that you contact (google) various clubs and agencies to find bike trail maps to aid your planning.

The northern half of Door County is vacation land for many. Parks facing Green Bay are the most popular ones and there are biking opportunities. Camping is popular. The main wild life problem that I know of is racoons raiding your camp site when you sleep or are away. However, Door county represents a big detour for routes around Lake Michigan. There is a possibility of taking a ferry to Washington Island that is off the tip of Door county. I am not familiar with other ferry routes, but there could be some that continue from Washington Island to upper Michigan, This would avoid the busy traffic zone around the city of Green Bay.

Other location such as the northern end of the Keweenaw peninsula of Upper Michigan has black bears that can be troublesome to hazardous for tent campers. Only hard side RV or cabins and motels are recommended for sleeping quarters. Check the upper parts of Michigan for this hazard on you planned route. Fortunately, the Keweenaw is a long distance from routes circumnavigating Lake Michigan. However, there are pockets of black bear in Upper Michigan and it is advisable to know where these are. Generally, there are no black bears that I know about near population centers on Lake Michigan from Chicago to Menominee, Michigan.

There are trails in the city of Milwaukee and some are near the lake. However, these trails are fragmented and may not produce a connected route all the way form south to north through the city.

North of Milwaukee, there are county roads with little traffic all the way to Port Washington. County roads near I-43 expressway and on the west side of I-43 are heavily traveled and hazardous for biking. Don't go there.

The two Wisconsin foods are Bratwurst and cheese. A number of small breweries have sprang up. A few are micro-breweries attached to restaurants.

Tax: Our sales tax is 5%. There is a stadium tax of 0.1% in Milwaukee county and the counties surrounding Milwaukee county. Sales tax in these counties is 5.1%. Sales tax applies to restaurant food. Food stuffs in grocery stores are not taxed, however, all other non-food items in grocery stores are taxed. Candy and beverages are taxed.

Weather: I do not recommend planning outdoor activities until after May 15th, and even then expect some chilly rain. We do not get much spring. We go from winter to light winter by Mar 30. April is highly variable with many cool to cold days. The first 2 weeks of June can be rainy in northern Wisconsin. In the last half of May, we jump from cool weather to early summer. The period from Mar 30 to June 1 is highly variable and unpredictable from year to year. Always, there are nice days in this time period, but it is unpredictable when these will occur.

There are other "rides" in Wisconsin. Lake Winnebago cane be circumnavigated in one day by bicycle. Two other notable trails are from Brodhead to New Glarus, and the Elroy-Sprata trail. New Glarus is a Swiss colony with dining to match.

By the way, the Green Bay Packers squeaked out a win tonight in Texas.

• OklaMoni
    Original Author
    5 years ago

WOW, Jemdandy GREAT info. I rode in Wisconsin before, when I rode across the USA.

I am also aware of the high temps near lake Erie, drewsmaga, but realize, I live in Oklahoma. We had such lovely HIGH temps this summer, July, August and September, that low to mid 90's are not bad. ;)

I will however appreciate any additional info anyone wants to toss at me, and plan according as much as possible.

Moni

• Cookie8
    5 years ago

Also, if you mean by Canada, there is a great spot to spend a few hours - Katherine's Cove. It is a couple hours west of Sault Ste. Marie. Our favourite rest stop when we drive across Canada every second year. I've attached a picture. Despite the frigid water temp, although we did get to swim last year, it is like the tropics with the beautiful clear water and powder beach.

http://www.studiomcfee.com/2013/11/katherines-cove.html

• OklaMoni
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Cookie that is the sort of info I am hoping for. I already found it on google maps. :)

Just for info, a couple of hours in a car are at least two days on a bicycle!

Yes, everyone, of course I mean riding in Canada too. After all that's the only way to go all the way around the great lakes. :)

• Judy Good
    5 years ago

I live in Holland Michigan. Right on lake Michigan. Beautiful lakeshore to visit.

• OklaMoni
    Original Author
    5 years ago

cookie, is it illegal to camp in the woods, where there isn't a campground, or along the shore?

• Cookie8
    5 years ago

I have seen cyclists camp at rest stations but it isn't allowed. There are great parks along the route with designated camping. So you will be cycling? Wow, the terrain is intense. Have you done this route before as there isn't much of a shoulder on the side. Traffic is light but stops in between are far. It is my favourite part of the drive - between Sault ste. Marie and Thunder Bay. How much time are you giving yourself? There really is so much to see. I will get back to you with names of some of the features I really like.

• Bluebell66
    5 years ago

Hi Judy Good! Waving at you from Grandville. :)

OklaMoni, if you end up in Wisconsin, you can take one of the two ferries across Lake Michigan into the State of Michigan. One (high speed) goes from Milwaukee to Muskegon, and the other (slower freighter) is from Manitowoc to Ludington; from either Michigan point you could head north to Traverse City, or hug the lake a bit closer and head for Petoskey/Charlevoix.

• chisue
    5 years ago

We live 30 miles north of Chicago. DH occasionally rides his ancient three speed on local portions of bike trail. I believe the trail runs uninterrupted from south of the city into Wisconsin. Look for the Robert McClory and Green Bay bike trails.

Deer have their own more ancient paths through the same area, via interconnecting forest preserves.

How do you space your stops, Moni? Who will travel with you?

• Michael
    5 years ago

If you'll be traveling Canada, the Lake Erie North Shore winery tour is always an adventure.

Lake Erie Itinerary

• ldstarr
    5 years ago

Sorry for the slow reply. I also live very near Lake Erie and just a few miles from Rose. Would love to meet you.

Lisa

• joyfulguy
    5 years ago

Twenty miles or so north of Lake Erie, about half way along. Within more or less spitting distance of four of the Lakes.

We'd love to see you, and would likely have a/some get-together(s).

Cherry fizz and Dances are in Windsor. Some in Toronto, some near Niagara on the Lake.

ole joyful

• OklaMoni
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Cookie you said:

Traffic is light but stops in between are far. It is my favourite part of the drive - between Sault ste. Marie
    and Thunder Bay. How much time are you giving yourself? There really
    is so much to see. I will get back to you with names of some of the
    features I really like.

Moni:

I converted, and came up
    with 439 miles. That is approximately 9 cycling days. As a rule, 50
    miles a day is doable.

The problem with camping
    spots, they are mostly provintial parks, and cost close to 20 bucks.
    That adds up pretty big. Specially considering I roll in to camp
    around 4 or 5, sometimes as late as 6. Pitch a tent, take a shower,
    cook some dinner and go to bed. No time to enjoy the park, cause
    mostly I will be to tired. If I could be there for a whole day, or
    even a half day... I could see spending that much, but as is, I would
    prefer to free camp when possible.

Bluebell said:

OklaMoni, if you end up in
    Wisconsin, you can take one of the two ferries across Lake Michigan
    into the State of Michigan. One (high speed) goes from Milwaukee to
    Muskegon, and the other (slower freighter) is from Manitowoc to
    Ludington; from either Michigan point you could head north to
    Traverse City, or hug the lake a bit closer and head for
    Petoskey/Charlevoix.

Moni:

I have crossed the US in
    2004. Used the USS Badger to get across Lake Michigan. This time,
    however, I hope to ride around the WHOLE group of the Great Lakes. I
    will be at Lake Erie's shore on the south side

Chisue said:

We live 30 miles north of Chicago. I believe the
    trail runs uninterrupted from south of the city into Wisconsin. Look
    for the Robert McClory and Green Bay bike trails.

How do you space your stops, Moni? Who will travel
    with you?

Moni

I try to ride about 50 miles a day. It really
    depends on overnight options. I am going to be by myself. Thanks
    for the trail names, and for letting me know about them. I will look
    in to them!

Brushworks said:

If you'll be traveling Canada, the Lake Erie North
    Shore winery tour is always an adventure.

Moni:

I have already covered the northern shore of Lake
    Erie on my cross country tour in 2004. Wine tours are not on my
    agenda. Wine is heavy to haul, and riding after drinking doesn't go
    to well. :)

Idstar said:

Sorry for the slow reply. I also live very near Lake
    Erie and just a few miles from Rose. Would love to meet you.

Lisa

Moni:

Lisa, I have no idea what very near Lake Erie mean to
    you in miles. 10 miles is kind of far, to ride out of ones way...
    Can you give me mileage?

Joyfulguy said:

Twenty miles or so north of Lake Erie, about half way
    along. Within more or less spitting distance of four of the Lakes.

We'd love to see you, and would likely have a/some
    get-together(s).

Moni:

Ed, I will avoid the north shore of Lake Erie. Been
    there, done that, in 2004. Besides that, 20 miles or so is a LONG
    way on a fully lodaded bike. I hope to get together with Anne and
    Dances... we will have to see, how we can plan that.

All: I crossed the US in 2004. The whole story is
    here:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/tryagain

I was in Canada starting at this page:
    https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=tS&page_id=14256&v=4E

• bengardening
    5 years ago

my DD lives 18 miles outside of Holland MI maybe we could meet up if I am out there at that time.

• ldstarr
    5 years ago

Moni, I'm not sure of the route you'll be using as you travel along the southern shore of Lake Erie. Will you be following the Seaway Trail? If so, like Rose we are probably too far south for you to ride to our home. I'd still like to meet you while you're up here. Maybe we could just meet somewhere on your chosen route.

OklaMoni thanked ldstarr
  • OklaMoni
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Idstar I wasn't aware of a trail along the southern side of Lake Erie. I shall look in to this.

Elizabeth, I looked, and the closest I am going to be, if it works out with a warm showers host is:

Butternut, wi

this is roughly 175 miles from you, which means three days of cycling....

Are you aware, what a warm showers host is? warmshowers.org

I am on the warm showers list. Which means, I can stay at the home of another warm showers list member for free. I believe, I have posted before, that I host cyclists. This is all about cyclists helping cyclists.

So, August is the warmest month... I am thinking, I need to be at the north shore of Lake Superior during the warmest time. All other lakes are smaller, and thus, should keep the temp from getting quite as cool... and I also need to consider my overall mileage to get back to my car before it gets COLD.

I have a spot to park my car for the duration near Detroit, actually in Onsted, MI.

I am thinking this will take a minimum of 90 days, prolly closer to 100 to do the whole loop.

Nope, no telling how far the total mileage will be.. cause I am sure, I will go "off route" often. ;) I know myself.

Thanks for telling me about a pasty. ;)

Moni

• jemdandy
    5 years ago

In regard to your query about water temperature of the Great Lakes, specifically for swimming.

Both Lake Superior and Lake Michigan are cold water lakes. The bulk of these lakes do not get warm in summer, but there are times when it is swimmable. Its the top 2 ft of water that warms enough for a swim. Peak average water temperature occurs near the first of September. There are swimming beaches on both the eastern and western shores of Lake Michigan. The water temperature on the shores of Lake Michigan is strongly dependent on wind direction. Our prevailing wind is out of the west. When a west wind blows, it pushes the top water to the east side of the lake where it sinks. There is an up-welling tendency on the west shore to replace the water moved to the east, thus on the hottest day of summer, it is possible to have very cold water on the western shore. The best swimming beaches are on the east shores. I assume that the conditions on Lake Superior are similar.

The near shore water temperature is modified by local features. Water inside break waters are more calm, stir less, and tend to be warmer. Long, very gradual sloping beaches such as the one at Kohler-Andrae state park south of Sheboygan, WI, will have warmer water on calm days, or days with an on-shore breeze. The Kohler-Andrae beach is enjoyed by swimmers from the end of June to Sept. 1 (depending on wind direction).

Before you go in the water, check with local conditions. The beaches from Chicago to Sheboygan may close at times due to algae bloom or pollution. Urban centers along that stretch have old antiquated sewer systems. These can be overwhelmed by a big rain, e.g. , a rain with heavy precipitation in a short time period. Rain water enters the sanitation system, floods it, and there is an outflow of raw sewerage to the lake. Milwaukee's problem is aggravated by an older section of town that has 27 sq, miles of combined sewer - Both storm water and sewerage are carried in the same sewer.

Inland lakes and flowages provide more swimming days than the Great Lakes. Lake Erie is not as deep as the other lakes and may have warmer water. I have no data for that one.

Back in the 1960s and 1970s, I have spent several vacations on an island in the Winipeg flowage east of Minaki, Ontario. Swimming in that water is enjoyable from mid-June through the 3rd week Of August.

To give you an idea of Lake Michigan's temperature, the Coast Guard states that the survival time is 15 to 20 minutes for someone who ditches an airplane away from shore. Longer that that, hypothermia sets in. Of course, survival time is much longer if you can stay out of the water or have protective gear.

• OklaMoni
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I have been in Lake Michigan, and Lake Huron, on one of my cross country bike rides. Both BURRR, but the Pacific Ocean was the same, on my Pacific Coast tour.

There is no way, I will do a long swim, like I loved doing on Florida... but true to form, I want to have swam in all 5 lakes. ;)

From here, in Oklahoma I know the difference a windy day can do. Last October I swam from the boat ramp back to the campground on the first day of our bike camping weekend. The second day, it was windy, and I only went in the water up to my knees. Man... it was sooooo cold. There were no warm pockets, nor was the top layer warm like the previous day.

No matter what... I do hope to go in each lake far enough to be able to swim a bit.

Moni

• ldstarr
    5 years ago

Moni -- If you find the trail along the southern shore of Lake Erie to your liking, make sure you include a stop at Presque Isle State Park. It is a small peninsula that divides Lake Erie from our bay. It has comfortable beaches for swimming June thru Labor Day. It should be pretty much adjacent to the trail.

• Cookie8
    5 years ago

We swam in Lake Superior in the beginning of August last year. It was the warmest year yet. This was at Katherine Cove. We also swim at Batchawana Bay - east of Pancake Bay, very shallow though. Found Pancake Bay rather cold but that was in mid-July and it is a deep beach there. It was also pretty cold at Old Woman's Bay - another deep beach.

• OklaMoni
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Idstarr, I have to look at my notes... but that state park looks familiar... I think, it is marked down for a possibility for camping for me. ;)

Ok, I found out info for the trail. I saw the state park, and put it in my mental notes. I only routed as far as

Split Rock Lighthouse State Park. I really can't plan further... cause just one day with different mileage will toss everything aside anyway. But I have looked, and looked, and made notes. :)

Cookie, I am aiming at being on the north shore of Lake Superior sometime soon after July 4. If I start to late, I will end up finishing in cold temps... and if I start to early, it will be rather hot, when I am along the south shores! It's a fine line, in the planning!!!

Moni

• jemdandy
    5 years ago

OklaMoni: Research your roads carefully along the north side of Lake Superior. I would hate to see you disappointed with the views. One time, we drove the TransCanada highway 17 eastward thinking that it would provide some views of Lake Superior on the part where the map showed that the highway was near the shore. It did not. During several hundred miles, we got only a few short glimpses of the lake. We spent most of the time looking at forest alongside the road.

• tami_ohio
    5 years ago

Moni, I am only about 5 miles as the crow flies south of Lake Erie. North Central Ohio. If the timing is right, I can also offer a bed and shower! I do have a couple of commitments in August, but hopefully it works out we can get together. Send me a message and I will send you my contact details. There are also some rails to trails trails very near me. I don't know much about them though. If you have an old email address for me it is still viable if it is a Yahoo! Address.

• Judy Good
    5 years ago

Just curious, are you planning on riding through the UP of Michigan, Beautiful up there. Love my great lakes.

• OklaMoni
    Original Author
    5 years ago

No, Judy! Just take a look at the Great Lakes as a group. I am going around the GROUP. But, I am starting to believe, I will go back to Canada at Lake Ontario, to Niagara at the lake, and then along the bike trail to Niagara Falls, and cross back to the USA there.

WOW, that took me a long time, but the lines are so darn squiggly... I know, I need to draw it again. But, this is sort of the loop I am looking at. :)

Ok, this should be just shy of 3000 miles, which is about the same, as I rode on my cross country in 2004. :)

• tami_ohio
    5 years ago

Moni, I just replied to your email. I do have a vehicle large enough for your bike if you want/need a ride to my house. I gave you information on where I am and about how close I am to Lake Erie. And the route that runs along side the lake that has some views of the lake.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    5 years ago

How many miles is that? Your route looks huge, like well over 1000 miles!

You are going as a woman alone? Scares me to death thinking of it. I guess I watch too much Discovery TV.

ETA I just saw where you said approximately 3000 miles :-)

You must have calves of steel!

• countrycottageklutz (Zone 5 ON)
    5 years ago

Moni, I want to congratulate you on taking life by the horns! I hope you have the trip of a lifetime, and that you enjoy every second of this adventure!

I live along part of your trip route in Ontario, near Barrie, and am good neighbours with a cycling crazy woman. I tapped her on the shoulder today to ask her if she had anything she could contribute to your trip/planning as she's done several 1000's of kms on her bike, including Antarctica. She recommended that you contact Bud Jorgensen who runs tours through his business called Cycle Canada, based out of Alliston here in Ontario, NOT for tour info. but for personal input, ideas, and general biking knowledge/help for here in Canada. I am NOT trying to advocate or sell for a company, but I take her word as to the best info around. Bud's the man.. 70, still biking fiendishly (when weather here permits LOL), and would love to hear from you. My neighbour also said that if you want to chat to her over FB, I can forward you her info. She's eclectic, chatty, and sometimes odd :). If you want her info, please message me here, and I'll get you her info. I can't message you privately, so I'll leave this message here :)

• OklaMoni
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yoo hoo, Country, that is awesome, near Barrie! Just today I looked around a bit more, and came up with the mileage. I plan to take the ferry down to Tobermory... and then head down to Lake Ontario. What are the odds? :)

Moni

• jemdandy
    5 years ago

In Wisconsin, many state bicycle trails require a pass. Its $5 daily or $25 per season. The yearly pass is the best bet if you plan to frequent a trail more than 5 times. Hiking is no charge.

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/trailpass.html

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/activities/bike.html

In Wisconsin, bike trails are far more pleasant to ride and safer than vehicular roads.

In the past 30 years, the cost of camping has escalated and is no longer a bargain, We found that the lowest cost camping has been in National Forests, but many of those campsites are primitive with no showers.

• countrycottageklutz (Zone 5 ON)
    5 years ago

Sent the promised info your way Oklamoni.. let me know if my links etc didn't work ok?

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

"In Wisconsin, many state bicycle trails require a pass."

Jemdandy, I suspect "trails" such as you allude to would be expected to be unpaved and so not suitable for a road bike. Moni can speak for herself, but I suspect she's using a road bike for such a long distance and won't be riding on "trails".

• jemdandy
    5 years ago

Elmer Fudd: We have two levels of bicycle trails in Wisconsin: touring and mountain style. Most of our trails are touring trails with asphalt or crushed and compacted limestone roadbed. Many of the trails near urban areas are old railway beds with asphalt paving. The railway beds have gentle grades except for one named the "Bug Line". It has one section of 1/2 mile with 5% grade, very high for a railroad. This originally was a spur line that serviced lime kilns in Waukesha county. It pulled a low number of cars and snaked its way among various kilns. From overhead, it had the appearance of the random crawl of a bug, thus its nickname, the bug line. Today, only the remnants of a few kilns remain as a reminder of the past.

The Sparta-Elroy trail is paved and passes through 3 railway tunnels. Even in the heat of summer, the interior of these tunnels are cool and dripping. the floor may be rough and wet. It is advised to walk your bike in these tunnels. and have a jacket. In the longest of these tunnels, a light is needed.

Hikers and bikers share the same trails. There is no fee for hiking.

The main problem that touring a biker has in this state is that many of the trails are short segments of 5 to 10 miles long. One must travel over vehicular roads to connect from one trail to another. Our trail system is a project in process and it will be many years before there is a contiguous network of trails. The city of Madison and Dane county has the best network in the state.

• OklaMoni
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Country, you have mail.

Jim, I appreciate your info! But honest, I only go on bike trails, if they go somewhere near to where I want to go. Have you ever read any of my online journals? Check them out. I really do ride on roads. :)

crazyguyonabike.com/giantcycle99

Elmer, my bike is a "touring bike". Shaped like a road bike, but beefier tires, and luggage racks. My bike's picture is in the journals. :)

Moni

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

Yeah, I know, I was trying to keep my comment simple.

• OklaMoni
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hello EVERYONE!

Somehow I lost all my info that came to me via this post. I hunted, and found this again. Made notes. Will compile it all later...

but meanwhile, I have started a journal on the same site I have used previously. You can catch up on my plans here: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/swimmingwhilebikingoptions

In short form: I bought me a ticket to Chicago. Made some plans for/in Chicago, and will start moving as soon as possible. I have made so many notes... and backed them up this time, and will add the above info later today.

First, I need to get out on my bike. I am trying to be in fairly good cycling shape at the start of my tour. Right now, it is listed as 19 days till the start!

The excitement grows daily...

Moni

• ldstarr
    5 years ago

Moni - it is great that your chance to cycle around the Great Lakes is getting so close. As you find yourself approaching the Pennsylvania portion of the journey, feel free to contact me if you need anything. I'll try to email you with contact info.

Lisa

• joyfulguy
    5 years ago

Haven't checked for a while, Moni ... but you're not going on north side of Lake Erie - I would have been happy to have met you anywhere along your trail, at your convenience.

However ... since you plan to visit with Dances and cherryfizz, maybe I can come there - my first gathering was with them, several years ago.

My long-term emails are blocked, so it appears that I'll have to start over with a new one.

ole joyful