SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aggiewife12

Just starting out! What do you think?

B Fritsche
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

So excited to finally begin the house building journey! My husband and I are looking for land right now and hope to begin building in about 2 years. From everything I've heard and read, the more you can plan ahead of time the better off you will be. Plus, I love to plan!!

Obviously we have to buy the land first and I will definitely be working with an architect/designer, but I have found a floorplan that is similar to what we want. I have seen lots of advice on here an estimating costs, so I was hoping to get some thoughts. I don't want to go in thinking I can build something that I can't! My husband works with many home builders and supplies electrical supplies, so the contractor is going to build for little to nothing.(as far as his pay) We will have all electrical and lighting things at cost and will also be doing things ourselves.

I live in East Texas and I am wanting a Farmhouse. It's funny how these are so popular right now when it's always been my preferred style! Anyways, here is the plan I like. It's 3463 sqft. On the first floor: the garage would actually be a game room and we would put a covered walkway and carport for the cars (I just think where I live garages are wasted space, I would rather use it for living than my cars). The downstairs bedroom, I would want to elongate someway and make into a movie room.

Upstairs: I would change the bedroom sizes so the three are closer in size. I also want one bedroom with it's own bath for my daughter and then the other two with a jack and jill bath for my boys.

What are your thoughts on these plans? Kitchen would have fairly high end appliances and I want crown moulding and window trim throughout which my husband can do if needed. Think it's doable for around $400k? Here is the outside which I love! Can't wait for this journey!

Comments (14)