SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dondeldux

h. Mocca & h. Fledermaus

Hello!! Both of my Moccas are blooming and they are gorgeous!! They are just as I remember them from several years ago. No complaints here for sure!

This is the one with the splits in the scape and although the splits go all the way down the stem it appears to be fine!!

Fledermaus is a bit behind but you can see a bud that to me shows some pink coloration and even though it will be a few days before they are blooming side by side, I feel that they are different.

Mocca will get more curvy as she had time to mature and she is a subtle beauty.

Hope that all of yours bloom soon too!!☺☺

Donna

Comments (120)

• catsandhippies
    7 years ago

Hi Fred, I think you will harvest lots of perfect seeds then. My broken pod was just 5-6 weeks old and gave me 40 seeds... You will have lots of Hippis with striped leaves and gorgeous blooms :-)

Maria, fingers crossed for the salvation of your Santos!!!

Anja

• Fred Biasella
    7 years ago

Hi Anja,

I hope I do get good seeds and I will be more than happy to share with the group.

Fred

• Related Discussions

Fragrant orange/salmon/coral varieties?

Q

Comments (18)
    I must have a half dozen H. Desire as mislables. Yesterday I cut back (my way) about 40 bulbs...and I hope to do about the same number today. Hard on the back! Bought extra large bottles of 70% rubbing alcohol for dipping the knife in. Hope to get the GH up this weekend. We are supposed to be in high 30s mid next week. K
    ...See More

Ya'll so quiet in here...

Q

Comments (189)
    Exciting times right Fred? Please take pics and share. Our own seedlings will be the most beautiful ever no matter what flowers they give us. Just like our children...and grandkids! LOL Talking about grandkids, my grandson (first boy in the family) will be born in just 2 months time. Now this excitement and anticipation is surreal! While I'm here in my pc, here's another new clivia that bloomed for me recently. I imported this from Japan last year.
    ...See More

Mozaique

Q

Comments (63)
    I am very pleased to have received a reply from Royal Colors about a possible ID for this bulb. Sorry for the poor quality, the file was so small that when I tried a screen shot you couldn't read the text so I just took a snapshot. I will self a few of these last flowers to share with anyone who wants to try just to see what they might get!! So, I guess I truly do have a special bulb!! The flowers are much prettier on the last two scapes and I am very happy with her, she is very unique!! The flowers are long lasting and I've never seen such a large beautiful ballooning bud! Hopefully she will offset and I may be able to share a few of these in the future☺☺ Unfortunately, the camera doesn't see what the eye sees with this flower what the eye sees is much better. I have plenty of pollen too....☺☺
    ...See More

Hello Santos

Q

Comments (147)
    Xiangshan is simply stunning!! As you point out, I've never seen such crisp white lines in such a vibrant red!! With striped leaves and 4 flowers what more could anyone ask for!! The second flower is amazing also with the deep red with those striations adding to the texture of the petals.. I love them both!! Your hybridizing friend is very talented!! Thanks again for sharing them with us! Donna
    ...See More
  • dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Maria, what's wrong with your Santos bulbs, are they rotting? I hope you can save them, as I doubt we'll ever see them again!

• catsandhippies
    7 years ago

My Mocca is open now! Much paler than yours, Donna but I still like it. There's a little more orange in it than you can see in the picture. I have it on a west facing window but we didn't have so many sunny days during the last weeks. I will have six flowers but only one scape. Did you get two on yours? The bulb has roots and leaves and is quite big...

Anja

Original Author
    7 years ago

Very pretty Anja and as the flowers mature they will become more shapely. My last scape that I didn't post on here was the palest yet but still pretty and it had been sitting in exactly the same spot on my table in the sunny window through all the blooming.

One of my bulbs produced three scapes and the other just the two. All had at least 4 flowers, some had more. A long bloom time for me and a very satisfying experience. I seriously doubt that I will ever get them to re-bloom like this again. I still have my first one from probably 3(?) years ago and it has yet to bloom for me again; still healthy though. As lovely as these were, my Fledermaus were stunning!! If I had to pick only one between the two, I would pick Fledermaus but of course I don't!!

Both of them appear to accept different pollen gracefully, but of course, it's early.....

I hope you got a Fledemaus........ or two.....☺☺☺

• Fred Biasella
    7 years ago

Hi Anja,

Even though it may be pale, I think it's quite beautiful. Sometimes the pale ones have a very delicate beauty about them and this is no exception. I especially like the fact that you can see markings on the petals very clearly.

Fred

• catsandhippies
    7 years ago

Thank you, Donna and Fred! I'm still not sure whether I will pollinate or not. I don't have much fresh pollen yet. Still have last years in the refrigerator but it's not frozen so I don't know if it's still viable. I could try Mystica and maybe Daphne to get bigger flowers. No, Donna, I didn't get Fledermaus! It was already sold out when I ordered Mocca, I waited too long :-( Hopefully it will be offered again some time...

What pollen did you use on your Fledermaus and Mocca? Did you get the scapes all at the same time? There's still no sign of a second scape on mine...

Fred, you are right, the markings are beautiful. It's actually greenish with red/pink markings and orange dust. Did you order Mocca too? Luckily we will have another sunny day tomorrow so I can really enjoy the flowers :-)

Anja

• jstropic (10a)
    7 years ago

Anja, the flowers are beautiful. Mine were also paler than Donna's and were on a sunny window, so who knows with this one:) i still like her and her flowers seem to last a long time.

Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Anja,

One Fledermaus bulb was pollinated with papilio, Thai Thai, Santos an dyungascense and the only one that has taken is Santos.

The other bulb has mystica, aulicm x papilio, Santiago and another Thai Thai (done before I realized the first Thai Thai had failed). It's way too early to tell on the second bulb.

Mocca seems to be faring a bit better, there are two that appear to have taken but the bulb is tied up on the kitchen counter and is so tall and the labels ended up-side down I can't read them so I'll have to wait. ☺

I might have some takers on Terra Cotta Star which is also tied up on the kitchen counter with up-side down labels which I also can't read.

I lost all pollinations on Magical Touch and although I have more flowers in bloom now I don't think I'll bother. Also I think all 8 pollinations on Mozaique variant have failed. So once again I start out going great guns and end up losing most.

I thought I had two full seed pods of a noid orange x Mystica and they were full of bad seeds, there might be a couple that are worth trying to float.

I have a few Exotic Star flowers to try with, I will try Fledermaus and Thai Thai to keep in the pink theme. But as we all know, Exotic Star is rather picky so we'll see.

I was really hoping to pass on Thai Thai's unique genes to someone!!

And the beat goes on.....☻☻☻

• Fred Biasella
    7 years ago

Hi Donna,

I'm sorry you had so few takers :-((( The same thing happened to me last year. I tried so many crosses and had delusions of grandeur, then mother nature gave me a big 'ol smack across the nose. I wish you luck on the ones that have taken :-))

Fred

Original Author
    7 years ago

Well, my curiosity got the better of me and I dragged out a stool and in closer inspection, it appears that #0016 and Mystica appear to have taken on Terra Cotta Star... as well as 2 Mysticas on Mocca so maybe all is not lost....☺☺

I know, huh Fred, we make these crosses and we're so sure that we've make the jack-pot cross and they most always fail. Well, I guess it a good think for those of us who can't control ourselves as we'd be more inundated in seeds that we already are!!

• catsandhippies
    7 years ago

Donna and Fred, I know what you're talking about :-) I had such a nice round seedpod X Mystica on Terra Mystica but a few days ago it suddenly shriveled. I might try this cross again, there are two more buds coming on TM... Amore x Mystica looks still good and there is also something developing on that flower of Pyjama party I dusted with Mystica...

Donna, did you try Mocca x Fledermaus or vice versa?

Anja

Original Author
    7 years ago

Oooh Anja, I have to confess I didn't. I was going to but there were so many others I kind of forgot and I didn't self either one either. If by chance one of the two sends up a late scape I'll try but I doubt that there will be any more.:-(((

...and look what my poor Madame Butterfly is doing.....!!!

• Fred Biasella
    7 years ago

Oh the poor thing :-(((((

• Debra (6a) West Ma.
    7 years ago

Hi Donna, I had one that was cuckoo too! have no idea why they do that.

• Fred Biasella
    7 years ago

Maybe when we go to sleep at night they raid the liquor cabinet and the next day they're all shnockered and hungover :-)))

• Debra (6a) West Ma.
    7 years ago

Hahahahaha....good one.,

• catsandhippies
    7 years ago

Oh Donna, this looks sad! But it really wants to flower! Hopefully she is sending up another scape so you can enjoy her beauty again! All your other crosses sound good too, never mind. And they will flower again next year for you...

Fred, I doubt that it were the Hippis that raided the liquor cabinet... :-))

Mocca with Magic Green. I noticed that they have the same base color but the markings are different.

Anja

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    7 years ago

My H. Fleudermaus (1 day) and H. Mocca (after about 7 days).

And freshly blooming H. Mocca

Original Author
    7 years ago

They're beautiful.

I hope you have better luck with pollinations on both of them as all mine to date have failed. I have two stalks left but don't have much hope that anything will mature. This is the year of failures for me for sure!! I was so hoping that I could get Thai Thai to take on Fledemaus, maybe you can make it work for you....Santos was doing so well on Fledermaus but the scapes started to deteriorate way before their time. That's been the problems for me with these two as well as my Mozaique variant, the scapes all failed early. Perhaps it has something to do with not enough sun as all the failures so far have been on the shady side of the house, receiving little of any sun. My last two tries are in the sun so we shall see.

• catsandhippies
    7 years ago

Donna, I have the same bad luck here with all my pollinations so far! I used Mysticas pollen on a few flowers and the pods started to grow, even on Pyjama Party! They looked good for 3-4 weeks then stopped growing and started to shrivel. And they are on the sunniest windows I have! I remember that the same happened to me last year with some Papilio crosses.

Rosario is blooming for me right now and I will try some crosses on her. She used to be a good mum the last years...

Anja

• catsandhippies
    7 years ago

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to have seeds from Mocca!

Does the pollen donor influence size and shape of the seedpods? They are all different, x Pyjama Party is the biggest, x Mystica the smallest pod, x Daphne, x Magic Green, x Amputo in between. The x Amputo has a different shape, similar to the Amputo x Mystica pod but much smaller. It wood make sense because the seeds of small varieties are usually smaller but I never noticed it before.

I will be happy if they all ripen and produce viable seeds! And glad to share :-) The only thing I didn't like on this Mocca is that it gave me only one scape although it is a big bulb. This seem to be the one scape year for me. Some of the rebloomers and even some of the new bulbs had or have only one.

Anja

Original Author
    7 years ago

Anja, Congratulations on your seedpods! Mine were about this size and then one by one I noticed that they were withering, the stems started to degrade and I lost them all!! I lost them all on Fledermaus also!! In fact, I lost everything that I pollinated this season and it was the stems that started to degrade and then the seedpods. I'll keep my fingers crossed that some of your lovely pods make it, maybe all!! And yes, I've found that different pollens produce different sizes and shaped seedpods so that is normal! Good luck and keep us posted. Maybe the fact that your bulb only put out one scape is the answer!

Both of my Moccas gave me 3 stalks and more flowers than I can remember so maybe that stressed out my bulb to the point where it didn't want to produce seeds. The same with Fledermaus, and my Mozaique variant, three scapes and many flowers but no seeds. Of course I still have plenty of pollen so it something blooms later in the season, I will try again!

I also had no luck with Magical Touch but I see someone on EBay is selling several crosses as well as selfs of Magical Touch as the seed bearer so who knows!! There again, I had 3 bulbs with 3 scapes each, loads of flowers and no takers!!

Donna

• everado
    7 years ago

I hope you get plenty of seeds, Anja! My guess would be that a bigger seed pod just means there's more seeds in there, but I don't have much experience with pollination. These flowers of Mocca look like sparkling copper and gold! Definitely something I'm going to put on my wish list. When I had a bulb of Half and Half, the bottom third of the flower was a gold color like that and it also looked like it was related to Ruby Star. It's an Israeli hybrid, I believe.

• Fred Biasella
    7 years ago

Hi Anja,

I hope they continue to grow nice and fat :-))) Congratulations!!!

Fred

• catsandhippies
    7 years ago

Thank you, Donna, Fred and Everado! The pods look still nice and much bigger than when I took the picture! Donna, I had happen the same with several crosses this season, especially with Mystica as the pollen donor. By the way, nobody seems to like the pollen of #1807 :-(

Anja

Original Author
    7 years ago

Anja, Did you try a self??

• catsandhippies
    7 years ago

Donna, I didn't self Mocca but I left one flower with its pollen just to see if it will self pollinate. It doesn't look as if the pod will develop any further.

Anja

• catsandhippies
    7 years ago

Here we go! This huge seedpod is Mocca x Pyjama Party! I have two more pods that have almost the same size (Mocca x Daphne, Mocca x Magic Green). The Mocca self pod is smaller but still growing. We'll see.

I have plenty of seeds...

Anja

Original Author
    7 years ago

Congratulations, you did good!!! I didn't get a thing but I guess I just didn't choose the correct partners!! I guess Miss Mocca knows who she likes and who she doesn't....:-))

• Fred Biasella
    7 years ago

Hi Anja,

Congratulations...what a beautifully healthy and fat pod!!!!!

Fred

• catsandhippies
    6 years ago

I hope you don't mind me using your thread for posting my newly purchased Fledermaus, Donna! Not as colorful as yours but I love the shape. I had to use the flash because there is no light outside today. I might try Exotic Star on one flower...

Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

No, everyone post away!! Your Fledermaus is lovely just a little pale but still very pretty! So this was a new one this year; I wonder if anyone else bought a new one, I didn't as I had two. I'm noticing that yours has a lavender tone to it, very pretty!

I will be interested to see when mine bloom again if they are as color saturated as the first time or whether they will be pale. They should send up a scape anytime now, they grew huge leaves out side in the sun for the entire summer.

I did get a bloom this summer from my Moziaque variant and it was identical to the first time it bloomed, I was almost hoping it would revert back to what it was supposed to be but I think it is a totally different bulb!

This was taken on August 31 this summer with Midori no Kuni.

• catsandhippies
    6 years ago

Please post pictures of your Fledermaus when they rebloom! I have a bud on last years Mocca...

• Blossom (Zone 10a)
    3 years ago

@dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts @catsandhippies @kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)

I know this thread is pretty old, but I was wondering if someone knows where I can purchase Fledermaus or Mocca online? I was sad to find out that Royal Colors no longer ships to the United States. :(

Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Blossom.

Thanks for the blast from the past, everyone's flowers were sure lovely weren't they!?

Unfortunately I think that Royal Colors might be the only hope and I feel fairly confident that another year they will iron out their difficulties that ended up with boxes being emptied at

Customs or cancellation of orders. I'm sure they must miss their dedicated US customers..don't you think?

And, you never know in the future where they might show their faces. This last spring I bought a strange shaped La Paz (suspecting it was something else) at a large nursery and it turned out to be a Merengue and I was so pleased!

My Moccas and Fledermaus' haven't bloomed for a while but although they are smaller than when I bought them, they are still healthy. Maybe this year..

I've probably posted this somewhere before but here is a cross of mine of Exotica x Mocca that bloomed for me a few years ago. I still have this one too. Kind of pretty although not as glorious as her father!

Donna

• Blossom (Zone 10a)
    3 years ago

How beautiful! Thank you for sharing, Donna! :)

Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks!!

• catsandhippies
    3 years ago

Hi Blossom,

I could try to self and/or cross Mocca and Fledermaus (both have scapes emerging) and send you some seeds. I'm in Europe but since the seeds are flat it should be possible to send them...

Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hi Anja!

I went back through my pictures (my way of note taking ;-)) and it appears that for me, Mocca was quite sucessful both as a seed parent and pollen parent. The only seedpod that was sucessful using Fledermaus as the pollen parent was with La Paz and all the seeds were pock marked. Good luck and as you well know, something might take when you least expect it!

Blossom, we should keep our eyes on White Flower Farm s this upcoming season as they were selling Mystica this year and other years they've had bulbs that no one else had. Their bulbs are good quality if you can get past their shipping costs.

By the way, just in case none of you ever noticed ☺☺, Royal Colors (with my permission) is using 3 of my photos of Fledermaus in their online ad! I had sent them pictures of several of their bulbs that I had purchased and bloomed just to thank them and I guess they liked my Fledermaus!!

Donna☺☺

• Blossom (Zone 10a)
    3 years ago

@catsandhippies That would be wonderful if you could keep me in mind if you do self pollinate these two varieties! :)

@dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts Thanks for the head’s up, Donna! I’ll also be sure to check WFF often!

• bulbinabox
    3 years ago

I think I still have some Mocca x self seeds, would you like them?

Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you but no, I've got several Mocca crosses coming along around here plus I've got 2 Mocca bulbs so I appreciate the offer but I think I'm all set in the Mocca department! Thanks again, ☺☺Donna

• bulbinabox
    3 years ago

I meant for Blossom

Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Sorry, Houzz sent your post to me in my emails, that's why I answered !!!!

• bulbinabox
    3 years ago

Important is that we both answered Blossom :)

• Blossom (Zone 10a)
    3 years ago

@bulbinabox That would be wonderful! Thank you so much!

Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Everyone...

So, since I am still unable to start a new thread of my own (which Is basically why I stopped posting) I saw that somehow this thread of mine had been brought up to the near front so I guess I'll just add my latest bloom which was an Exotic Star. I have a Merengue, and a Mystica (with 4 flowers) about to open also. I also have a papilio and a Fledermaus with protruding buds.

A Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all!!

Donna

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    2 years ago

Donna, that is one gorgeous flower!! I didn't realize that Amarylis have gone beyond the usual white or red. Thanks for posting and what is the reason you can't start a thread?

Original Author
    2 years ago

prairiemoon2

It would appear that I've been successful in posting at last!! My post on lilies went through!!

It appears that we are in the same zone in MA z6b😅

Sponsored
More Discussions