SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
faerybutterflye85

Building a garden fence for deer?

faerybutterflye Coleman/zone 7b
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hello all my fellow Okie gardeners! I'm in need of some advice. I'd really like to have a garden this coming year & figured now is the time for planning. I've selected a plot on the southern edge of our property that is clear pasture to the east & has 2 mature pine trees on the western edge that would provide some afternoon shade in the heat of summer & theoretically help things to not burn up so much. We have heavy deer traffic on our property, mostly near the eastern pasture where the pond & feeder are, but when it snowed last week, we had tracks & antler rub marks on the pine trees right by the house & future garden location. We see deer just about every day even before we put the feeder up, plus we have rabbits & squirrels & raccoons & possums & moles/voles (not sure but there's tunnels all over the property) & birds of course, including a ton of wild turkey. So, just about every type of wildlife you wouldn't want in your garden. I've been doing a little research & wanted to gather some advice from those of you who also have to have fences to keep critters out. What materials do you use for your fences? Would I be better off buying a fence kit or separate pieces of materials to build my own? And if so, how does one go about building such a fence? I'm a garden amatuer, but willing to take whatever knowledge I can get & run with it. DH will be helping me build & till & such. I think it'd probably be easier to till & rake sooner than later in order to get the currently dormant bermuda grass out now, rather than trying to battle with it when it's green. Thanks for any help!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH