Houzz Logo Print
stacey_mb

Obama's farewell address

9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

As a Canadian, much of President Obama's speech doesn't affect me. However, I greatly admire the dignity, intelligence, enthusiasm and wonderful speaking ability that he demonstrated in delivering his ideas. He is a real credit to the office and to the country.

Comments (130)

  • 9 years ago

    Just wait till the coal miners and rust belt workers who voted for this fraud find out their medical coverage is gone. Poof. That's what happens when the uneducated go to the polls for the first time blinded by the screaming hatred and the gloss of a reality TV star who is in so far over his head.

    stacey_mb thanked lily316
  • 9 years ago

    Trumpcare! 20 million uninsured. Way to go America.

    stacey_mb thanked Annegriet
  • Related Discussions

    08 August 2006

    Q

    Comments (2)
    Hi Weebus, so good to see a post from you. My trip your way has been thrown into jeopardy by a nasty inner-ear infection. On meds. Maybe I can pull it off but news from Alaska is not good. Maybe I better plan on a Maryland Vacation. Steve in Baltimore County.
    ...See More

    Message from Barbara Boxer

    Q

    Comments (6)
    If we gave large donations to every charity that sends us a letter DH and I would be broke quickly. Well, that's what our governments have become. America is quickly becoming a nation of people who wish to be cared-for. Too frequently we give over our rights just so someone else "can take care of it." We've forgotten that our form of govt. is suppose to provide military protection for our Nation, conference with foreign govts. for the greater good, interstate commerce, and control of other things that are nation-wide. So why are they involved with so much else? And, the States govts. each have their own purposes, which have also been expanded to the point where they no longer function. When an entity tries to do everything, then nothing gets done well.
    ...See More

    hello, from mudlark

    Q

    Comments (10)
    Wouldn't dream of switching to the Dark Side! Still finding my way around the new OS though. May 26?.....not too far away, you have obviously found a place to 'put your swag' then.... Patrina, nice thought with the saffron flower, I'm glad your Quince jelly turned out well, I'm not a big fan of jams and jellies, though I really like quince paste....yummy with some good cheese and crackers....when my tree has some more fruit I might attempt it, though by the description of the cooking process I've read about it sounds difficult, hasanyone out there tried to make it - I would be interested to hear how it went. Any Adelaide Tomato freaks might be interested in knowing that the ABC 891's gardening program on Saturday morning is going to have a feature on tomato growing...gettting ready for the next season etc. Kinda seems strange to be thinking about it already, but I notice there are a few lists appearing on the forum. I'm waiting for winter to really set in, so I can hunker down with the catolgues for a long, thoughtful purusal. Are Adam and Raymond still around? How are the plans to escape to Armidale going? And Sarah? - I've read a few threads with some expressions of despair over the dreaded fruit fly.....the cooler weather hopefully will bring a reprieve...if not come and join us next season in lovely fruit fly free SA, you won't even need to go to the trouble of growing any tomatoes - just wangle an invitation to Spatz's place! I notice that the VIctorians amongst us Pep and OZ and others seem to be planning for next year, does that mean the the summer has ended down there? As I write this, Adelaide has another fire ban day in the hills, but I think there is a promise of some genuinely Autumn weather for next week. Cheers to all, mudlark
    ...See More

    WH Photographer Pete Souza- Behind the Lens: 2016 Year in Photographs

    Q

    Comments (10)
    I know. I first teared up where Barack is touching the little boy's face. I teared up at all the photos with children. There were some funny ones too. He may not have been a perfect president, but he is a great man. I'm grateful to have lived during his presidency, an extraordinary time in history.
    ...See More
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Maybe she can explain why former GOP presidents, the Bushes, members of their cabinets, and their families voted for Clinton.

    Hey Lily, Maybe you can explain this.
    How do you know who the Bushes and other Republicans voted for? I missed the announcement.
    Was it the Russians, did you hack the voting machines, the voices in your head, Keyser Soze, the Martians, the Illuminati? Do tell.
    Source please.

    Trump raped a 13 year old? Really? You witnessed this? Did you try to stop him?

    stacey_mb thanked wildchild2x2
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Isn't it funny how every mean thing said about Hillary was just lies cooked up by the Trump camp but everything said about Trump is the Gospel honest truth? Sheesh....so many people are just believing everything that was said. When I was a little kid, my parents taught me that you should not believe anything you hear and only half of what you see! It's good advice for a kid and for adults too!

    stacey_mb thanked arkansas girl
  • 9 years ago

    Lily316: You said and I quote " ... last 2 term president, dumbest man ever to sit in the oval office,..."

    Are you aware that Bush flew F 102 fighter planes while in the Texas Air National Guard?

    Meanwhile, The Smartest man to ever sit in the oval office and his Harvard educated wife were stumped by getting an umbrella through an overhead gate... No lie!!!!!!!

    stacey_mb thanked gardenerlorisc_ia
  • 9 years ago

    Lol if that's the best example of being dumb, he's doing pretty good. He's a human, he will get tongue tied, maybe get confused. The difference is intent.

    stacey_mb thanked Chi
  • 9 years ago

    Bush's pilot records were proven to be fudged. Most of the time he never showed up on base -- that nice, safe, National Guard base.

    Trump received multiple deferments to keep him out of war.

    stacey_mb thanked chisue
  • 9 years ago
    There is a lot of information on the internet, meant to misinform and distort. Old defunct stories are always mentioned, to support a biased view.
    Kind of like president elect, if it's on the internet it's true! Everybody else is stupid, don't you know, facts are irrelevant.
    If Trump can twitter away at 3 in the morning, he knows there is a fringe segment of society that agree with him. They are victims, everyone is out to get them.
    The media,Pulitzer Prize winning journalists, Hollywood, US Intel., their own party, everybody but Putin.
    stacey_mb thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    Oh, OK, I get it now. EVERY bad thing about lefties is debunked and EVERY thing bad about the RW is true.

    And hilly didn't clean the emails and Vince Foster shot himself twice in the back of the head and the gun had no fingerprints on it and no brain matter or blood where he was found......... I used to believe in Santa and the Easter Bunny, too.

    stacey_mb thanked gardenerlorisc_ia
  • 9 years ago
    ^^^^^^^yup^^^^^^
    stacey_mb thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    It is blatantly obvious that the sharp division of our nation is reflected on this forum. Half support a capitalist republic; half are seeking a socialist form of government. Half want a smaller government with most decisions left to individuals and the states; half want expanded government with major systems such as health care regulated and managed by the federal system. Half voted for the candidate they wanted; the other half voted for the candidate of their choice.

    This divide, I suggest, cannot be bridged. Each one of us who have expressed viewpoints on this thread hold fast to our way of thinking. It is clear that no one is going to change their opponents' minds about the presidential selection or the path of America's future.

    So, why do we bother to post angry remarks, harsh language, and bitter feelings? I suggest it is fear of the precipice our country is balanced on; fear of compromise; fear of the unknown.

    What a shame.

    stacey_mb thanked 66and76
  • 9 years ago
    What I see a lot on this forum is a certain comment meant to incite and trigger responses. It is hot topics, and because of the president elect, we have seen an increase in racism and bigotry, become normalized. Trump started a fake birther story that still lives in conspiracy theory sites.
    There are many conservatives here that did not vote for Trump. He is an man who won, running a campaign scapegoating immigrants and minorities. We have HT members on here who believe all Muslims are terrorists, the ACA is for poor people, the Russians were not involved in interfering with our democracy. There's the ever popular reverse racism argument. Now, more than ever we need to defend people's rights and not accept racist and hateful behavior.
    Just because Trump is going to be president does not stop us from defending our constitution, our right to free speech and the belief that everyone is created equal.
    The haters and bigots will never change, we need to defend the marginalized against a white supremacist cabinet, led by a man totally emotionally and intellectually unfit to be the leader of the free world.
    stacey_mb thanked User
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    " Half support a capitalist republic; half are seeking a socialist form of government."

    To each his/her own, but I stopped after reading this sentence, as an indication that there was nothing worth the time to read that followed.

    Everyone should try to be better informed and more critically thoughtful about the information that comes their way, because only by doing so one can one better understand the world and the people and events in it.

  • 9 years ago

    Everyone who voted for Trump is not a "hater" or a "bigot". Many think it is a good thing to defend our borders, as any other sovereign nation does. I have friends who travel around the world frequently. They MUST present a valid passport to be admitted to EVERY country they visit. If someone sneaks across borders, they are arrested, imprisoned, or deported. Why would anyone think our country's laws should be ignored? Why? Keeping a secure border protects us from diseases, criminals, and those who will not help our nation to prosper.

    Terrorism is real. It is happening. It is not being done by a group of Protestants, or Catholics, or Buddhists, or animists. It is being accomplished by radical Islamist extremists who are practicing jihad against the West. Why shouldn't we admit that fact? Why? It is the TRUTH, as many families of dead or maimed victims will attest. Vetting Muslims (or anyone else from a dangerous part of the world) who want to come to our country is simply the wise thing to do. My own grandparents came through Ellis Island. They had to have a sponsor in America, they were quarantined until their health was proven to be sound, and they came LEGALLY. They were happy to comply with the law. Becoming an American citizen was worth waiting for. We must protect our children, all our citizens, from those who publically call for our destruction. Why wouldn't we?

    The Affordable Care Act, Obamacare, angered people, not because they didn't think the healthcare system needed reform, but because it was MANDATED that every citizen had to buy a policy. The federal government cannot mandate that a person buy something they do not want. This overreaching law did not receive ONE vote from a Republican congressman. Why would everyone simply accept such a radical change in their medical care when, as Nancy Pelosi stated, 'We have to pass it so we can find out what is in it' ? Would you sign a mortgage contract without reading it? Wouldn't you want to know how much you were going to spend? Why is it a surprise that people would be against Obamacare? It needs to be altered.

    Trump repeated the fake Obama birth certificate story, but he did not start it. Hillary Clinton in the 2008 primary against Obama started that story. Her staff released a photograph showing Obama in Muslim garb and made the insinuation. This can be searched online.

    There is only racism, not reverse racism. Racism exists within all racial groups. No doubt a lot of change within hearts needs to take place. Police need more training to avoid physical confrontations and must be held accountable for their actions. But, when Ferguson and Baltimore burn night after night, when rioters destroy and loot the businesses of innocent store owners, when (mainly) white police officers are assassinated, and when the murder rate in Chicago shows staggering black-on-black lawlessness, the general public watching this happen on their televisions see minority crowds responsible for the violence. Trump says law and order must prevail. Why is a call for law and order racist? Doesn't everyone want a safe society?

    As I stated in a previous post, we are not headed for unity on this forum or in the country. There is a "them v.s. us" attitude which prevents compromise.

    I wish we would wait and see what the new president will do or say. If he is horrible, vote him out after his term. That is the way the law works in America.


    stacey_mb thanked 66and76
  • 9 years ago

    Yikes!...

    stacey_mb thanked Kathy
  • 9 years ago
    Most rhetoric I've heard in a while. Fox did a great job. Please read some legitimate reports on immigration, the process, the vetting process already in place. The fact most undocumented workers arrive by plane and over stay their visas. The birther movement was started by Trump, other stories are false, still on conspiracy theory and white supremacist sites from Russians and Bannon on Breitbart.
    Bannon funded a think tank who's partner wrote a fake news book on Clinton.
    There is legitimate news, you need to read and confirm news. Read many sources not propaganda sites.
    25 billion dollars for a wall is not going to keep immigrants out.
    stacey_mb thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    They hear but they can't think....it is Impossible...

    stacey_mb thanked Kathy
  • 9 years ago

    As I stated in a previous post, we are not headed for unity on this forum or in the country. There is a "them v.s. us" attitude which prevents compromise.

    The Republicans haven't compromised since 2008 the day Barack Obama was inaugurated...its nothing new..

    stacey_mb thanked Kathy
  • 9 years ago

    pinkpaula: I applaud you for writing a very concise and accurate post there. These people don't read 90% of what we conservatives post. They have completely misread a lot that I have written. I have decided to just let them wallow in their mudholes. They will not know what hits them when they find out the real truth. I feel sorry for the poor little snowflakes but my head has a flat spot from banging it on the desk. I will no longer feel sorry for them after Jan 20, 2017.

    stacey_mb thanked gardenerlorisc_ia
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Garden.

    I hope you don't have high blood pressure or Diabetes because you will be buying high risk insurance.

    stacey_mb thanked Kathy
  • 9 years ago

    You know, it is possible to have a civilzed conversation without personally bashing people with other views. Calling names won't help anything. Even though I completely disagree with many on this thread, I support their right to their opinion as being equal in importance to mine or anyone elses.

    stacey_mb thanked Chi
  • 9 years ago

    Thanks Chi. Well said.

    Thanks to the Obama years, my 401 is healthier than ever, I see people getting jobs and able to afford homes and I have healthcare at a reasonable rate with excellent doctors.

    I saw a mention that people dislike a mandate for insurance. As far as I know we have mandates to wear seat belt, have a license to drive, carry insurance for driving, pay our local, state and federal taxes. The list goes on too. May I assume you do not agree with these also?

    I personally have an issue with a man so out of touch with people, lies like a rug, abuses and sows contempt for women, denigrate the handicapped, inspires hatred for minorities and seems to have a relationship with the Russians that may border on treason. His cabinet picks fill me with fear for their lying ways and lack of knowledge.

    Time will tell but I see many lost jobs in the healthcare field, in manufacturing, mining, and others.Medicare and Social Security are also in jeopardy, and taxes for the working person will rise. We will end up paying for his ridiculous wall and look like fools with his crazy Tweets.

    stacey_mb thanked pkramer60
  • 9 years ago

    gardenerlorisc, Thank you for reading and agreeing with the points I offered. I believe this will be my last post on this forum. It is maddening when valid points are raised and the response from the liberals is name calling, sarcasm, or insults. Facts simply do not exist for them. I usually shrug it off but, like you, I reel from their refusal to recognize what will come from wide open borders and failure to abide by the laws of the land. Do they honestly believe our lives and our children's lives will be safe? Do they follow the law, but see nothing wrong with other people breaking it?

    Totally devoid of logic.

    I'm out. God Bless the USA!



    stacey_mb thanked 66and76
  • 9 years ago

    pkramer, economies are cyclical, they go up and down. Not always uniformly, not always the same everywhere.


    I'm glad you've had a good stretch. Please don't think either a President or a Congress has any or much influence over the business cycle movements because neither does. In political jabbering credit and blame are dished out but the reality is, neither government nor anyone in it has a real effect on the normal cycles.

    stacey_mb thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • 9 years ago

    No, I am blessed with excellent health. But I am old enough I have that "
    Entitlement" cough, cough, named Medicare. Remember that one? We paid into it as well as our employers but now it is classified as an "Entitlement" kinda like SNAP and things like that?

    stacey_mb thanked gardenerlorisc_ia
  • 9 years ago

    The only people that call Medicare an Entitlement are the ones that want to take it away...they want more tax cuts for the 1%.

    stacey_mb thanked Kathy
  • 9 years ago
    Chi, I agree, but you may want to take a glance over some racist, anti Muslim comments on previous threads. Ignorance is no excuse for bigotry. Just because something is on the internet, it doesn't mean it is true. There has been a legitimate hate for our first African American president shown on HT.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts. If one doesn't want their opinions challenged, then this is not an open forum for discussion.
    stacey_mb thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    Yes, pinkpaula, I agree with all you said there. No sense in us trying to get people to learn when they don't want to. MAGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Trump!!!!!!!!!

    stacey_mb thanked gardenerlorisc_ia
  • 9 years ago

    Pink Paula.

    I could counter every one of the fallacies in the points you made but it wouldn't do any good. You believe what you said because someone has convinced you it is true. You choose to believe them.

    "You are entitled to your own opinion but you are not entitled to your own facts."

    stacey_mb thanked Kathy
  • 9 years ago

    Who says that, gardener? I have never heard that. Social security/Medicare is not at all the same thing as other welfare programs.

    The only thing I have heard about that is how people get far more than they put in and it's not sustainable.

    stacey_mb thanked Chi
  • 9 years ago
    Garden how much do you pay for your supplemental part B and D? It's pricier than I thought.
    My husband is signing up for Medicare and the supplements are going to be well over $1100.00/ month, part B, par B supplement and part D.
    He took out a really high deductible for part B supplemental.
    He had a higher premium than people of lower incomes. He is happy to pay it! There are many seniors and disabled apon Medicare, that are on limited incomes or SSI.
    He will see his premiums jump as soon as millions of people lose their affordable health care.
    stacey_mb thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    Sandy, I think it's fair to challenge opinions. But you can provide facts without calling someone ignorant or a bigot, dumb, blind, uneducated, special snowflakes or whatever other comments people are slinging. That's all I'm saying.

    stacey_mb thanked Chi
  • 9 years ago
    Agree, but most of it comes from the far far right. Snowflake is a alt right ( white supremacist) term. Calling someone a racist is not a name, if they have said racist comments. It is what it is.
    stacey_mb thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    What is Trumpcare? What are we replacing the Affordable Healthcare Act with?????

    stacey_mb thanked Annegriet
  • 9 years ago

    Looking at the post from Garden--"But I am old enough I have that "
    Entitlement" cough, cough, named Medicare". Aren't Medicare and Social Security Socialism? Just asking.

    stacey_mb thanked Annegriet
  • 9 years ago

    What are they replacing the Affordable Healthcare Act with? That's funny. No one knows! That's the scary part! Trump is demanding it get repealed immediately but he nor anyone else has any clue what to replace it with. 20 million people will lose their insurance coverage, and some of those people will die. Nice.

    stacey_mb thanked sephia_wa
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Snowflake is a alt right ( white supremacist) term.

    Oh good grief! Only in the alt. universe you live in. Snowflake goes all the way back to the movie Fight Club in the mid 90s. Shortly after used to describe the youth of a pampered over protected generation. Those that grew up with gold stars for breathing and participation ribbons for being spectators. LOL

    The left simply loves to find new words they can appropriate and redefine to suit their own purposes. Even the term alt. right is an invention of the left. Something more they can be offended by. I have never met a single Trump supporter who defines themselves as a member of some group called the alt. right. Actually few people have even heard the term unless they read left wing propaganda on message boards.

    stacey_mb thanked wildchild2x2
  • 9 years ago

    Thanks Sephia--just confirming--that is how I understood it as well but so many people seem enthusiastic about the repeal. I don't get it.

    stacey_mb thanked Annegriet
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Watchme...If you ever read Breitbart you would be aware of the Alt right rhetoric and language. Trump's son is a big fan and that is why trump used all the dog whistles in his campaign...maybe you didn't catch it because you are not involved with them, but you need to be aware.trump knows them and so does Bannon because they targeted those voters. Young, Alt society, some of which are white supremists.

    stacey_mb thanked Kathy
  • 9 years ago
    We had a thread around election time with alt right( white supremacist) verbiage , it is used to demean anyone who stands up to the alt right bigotry and racism. Snowflake, cookies and coco, social justice warrior, cuck, and Donnie Jr and Eric's favorite-skittles, a word for a minority that they use on twitter to bypass the sensors. The Trump boys peddle in anti Hillary lies, and racist propaganda right off of Bannon's white supremacist Breitbart site.
    The alt right language was used for Brexit too. It's used on all extreme right literature.
    There was also a good thread on " liberal" words too:
    Diverse= absence of white Christian males
    stacey_mb thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    "Alt Right" is too kind of a term for what these people represent. And yes, who would want to give up their health care for a big fat nothing, or a small bone thrown to the masses? Again, as long as profit is involved, health care will be very dear or out of reach for many/most. Those who are able to afford their care and have a problem with using any tax dollars to fund care for others are the ones who say, "The ACA is evil." I've got mine, the heck with everyone else.

    stacey_mb thanked sjerin
  • 9 years ago

    I am so happy yet another celeb is backing out of Trump's big show. He has Kid Rock and Jon Voight. ..ha! You just know the orange face is getting redder as steam comes out of his ears. Also good news: there are 200 buses to the inauguration, 1200 for the women's march the next day. In your face, Cheeto boy. Make sure you tweet about it, man-child. The slam to John Lewis was a killer trend on Twitter. Imagine a 6 times draft dodger smacking down Lewis who is a civil right's icon, and a good friend to MLK just when we're celebrating his birthday. Good timing, or don't you know your history, Donnie?

    stacey_mb thanked lily316
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    The ironic thing is that ACA was pretty much based on Heritage foundation (rightwing) think tank legislation .... like what Romney did in Massachusetts. In other words - that WAS the republican plan, and if had been called Romneycare or Trumpcare, yall would be quite happy with it.

    Me, I would have preferred single payer option "medicare for all" -basic barebones plan, which would allow people to supplement with their own private plans, as needed (like Medicare). So don't blame me.

    All I can say is that if you repubs & trumpvoters out there want to keep Medicare, social security (next up on the chopping block) then its gonna be up to YOU to make it known to your legislators and scream it from the rooftops. We on the "other side" cant do it singlehandedly - frankly we have very little political power now. So, guys - Its up to YOU. Already.... and actually for some time.... the propaganda is kicking in to convince everyone that SS & Meidcare is broke (it isn't and wont be with a few minor tweaks) and that it needs to be phased out....Wall St., has been itching to get at those funds for a long time. No coincidience that the Trump govt has about 8 goldman sachs alumni.

    I liked Obama and will miss him - he has a dry humor that at times I find quite hilarious. Its sad that people claim to not like him or what he says, but then wont listen to anything he says in his own words. My sibs for instance will only listen to what Limbaugh & Hannity tell them that Obama says. They play short clips out of context to make it sound like hes saying something else besides what hes really saying.

    Sorry I have no respect for that type of opinion. Whether left or right, or any shade in between you need to hear what someone says, in the context of what theyre saying. Only then do you have any credibility to judge.

    stacey_mb thanked Debbie Downer
  • 9 years ago

    lilly316 -- I think you know we are of like minds, but may I ask you to reign in your comments a little? Valid points are not improved by slurs, however *deserved* they may be. I'm trying to imitate the First Lady: "When they go low, we go high."

    stacey_mb thanked chisue
  • 9 years ago
    Considering what Michelle Obama and President Obama were called for 8 years, and with Trump starting the biggest racist, birther movement of all, cheeto face is pretty tame. I will never forget the anti- Obama racists fighting health care reform, the racist memes by the white supremacists shared on FB, the rise of white nationalism with Hannity, Breitbart et al, and the Trump supporters with their horrid racist, sexist tshirts chanting " build a wall."
    Trump has offended, demeaned and scapegoated just about every part of our diverse society( except white Christian males), long live Christmas, Good Bye Happy Holidays.
    stacey_mb thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    You know that "when they go low, we go high" is a wonderful mantra for life. I really appreciate our first lady. It really and truly made me sad when people said mean things about her.

    stacey_mb thanked Annegriet
  • 9 years ago
    There have been a lot of racist comments.
    stacey_mb thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    It's depressing that we live in a world where that is acceptable.

    stacey_mb thanked Annegriet
  • 9 years ago

    That couple went thru a lot in their eight years as did their girls. I saw some horrendous comments on some news sites that were beyond decency.

    stacey_mb thanked lily316
  • 9 years ago
    They are the epitome of class. They are bound to go on to do good things. Michelle will continue with Rise Up, her non- profit creating healthy communities, a global program benefiting girls, youth and women.
    stacey_mb thanked User
Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner