SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kellykct

Need help with living room configuration

kellykct
7 years ago

Hello,

My husband & I live in a small cape with very little space to entertain (1200 sq ft) so we decided to remove the wall between the 2 first floor bedrooms to create a larger living room, and the old living room will be a dining area. The new living room is a rectangular space and I'm having trouble deciding how to utilize the space to its maximum potential. The front half of the room holds our couch and TV. The back of the room is more the issue. It's quite narrow and we can't decide between 3 options. (We're in desperate need of closet space.)

1. Build a closet next to the bathroom door (where the white cabinet is)

and have the back of the room exist as an entry from the patio door. (There wouldn't be much room for anything else.)

2. Place a large armoire where the closet would go to create a slightly more open-looking space. (Would still be nothing more than an entry space.)

3. Place an armoire next to the patio door instead of across from it (somewhat near the couch in the second pic) and have the space next to bathroom door/across from patio door function as a tiny sitting area, with maybe a bench or small chair and table. I like this option because of the sitting area idea but think placing an armoire/small closet here might interfere with the flow of the room too much. The sitting area being next to the bathroom shouldn't really be an issue, as it'll be more for me/us rather than people who come over.

Hopefully the photos will help paint a clearer picture. Excuse the mess! As you can see, we're really in transition mode.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!