SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flyin_lowe

Adding heat banks to electric furnace.

flyin_lowe
7 years ago

I know little to nothing about HVAC, and am learning as I go with my first house with a heat pump/electric furnace.

I have been in the house for a few winters and always felt like my hvac system was undersized. It seems to cool fine in the summer but really struggles in the winter. I had another thread going asking about the fact my upstairs wasn't staying real warm. This week my heat pump quit working so I had to go into emergency heat. I had a guy over today to look at the heat pump. I asked him to come look at my furnace because of my concerns. He popped the front cover off and showed that there was only one heat bank (or whatever it is called for the emergency heat) and I think he said it was only a 10K strip. My house is a 3500 square foot two story, and it had a dual zone/thermostat set up. One stat upstairs and one downstairs. We only have one heat pump/and furnace.

He said I should be able to buy additional heat banks and that would really help things out. I don't really know what I am looking for but the unit is a Payne and the model number is PF1MNB042. He was going to do some research and see what is available. I know I will have to get an additional breaker and wire from the electric box to the furnace, is there anything else I would have to do to get additional heat banks working properly. My HVAC system is only 8 years old (I am 2nd owner of the house) so unless I have to I don't really want to scrap the entire system and start new. I would like to beef this one up a little and see how it does for some years down the road. Any input is GREATLY appreciated.

Comments (23)