SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amyinowasso

Brassica musings

AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I'm working on my grow list and trying to decide if I need more seeds.

Happy Rich broccoli. Ran across this at Johnny's. I really want it, since regular broccoli rarely does well for me but piracicaba does. It is Brassica oleracea. I have already ordered kailaan, also Brassica oleracea. It doesn't mention florrets. Yeah, I think I need both...

Do you ever get spring broccoli harvests?

Cauliflower won't grow for me either.

DH pulled up all my flipping Brussels sprouts, convinced they were dead. I thought it possible they would come back from the roots. I have terrible luck with them. Not sure I will bother with them this year. Dawn gave me good instructions last year, they just got planted late this year.

Cabbage didn't do well either. Never gotten them to produce. Not sure what I do wrong. I probably have 10 varieties.

I can grow kale and collards like crazy though. And found a kale I didn't have. Tonchuda. FYI, of all the kale, what is surviving in this frigid weather is scarler kale. I had about 6 varieties planted, hoping to feed it to the chickens. Not sharing the little bit I have left. Some were planted in the flower beds, which DH hasn't disturbed, maybe they'll come back from the roots.

I'm in love with Yellow Cabbage Collards from SESE. Did very well for me last year and was surprisingly cold tolerant. Sadly DH pulled all collards, so I won't have flower buds to eat in spring.

I've ordered a couple af varieties of flowering brassics from Kitazawa. Looking forward to trying those.

SPRING IS COMING!

Comments (15)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!