SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ribbit32004

Musings on the SFG so far,,,,

ribbit32004
15 years ago

I must say I'm conflicted. I love the concept and it's the only process that will work in our yard, but I must say I'm a little sad....here's my problems:

The same veggies in pots are outgrowing the SFG by 3 to 1 if not more.

now, the SFG only gets 6 hours of sun, but the ones in pots in the front yard only get about an hour more.

I also have the same veggies in a very small container on the back deck that gets less than 4 hours of sun and it's outgrowing the SFG by 2 to 1.

All broccoli in pots (regardless of sun exposure) are beginning to have tiny little heads

The broccoli leaves in the SFG are shreadded, frail and there are certainly no heads in sight. The cabbage isn't headding either, but I don't have any of those in pots to compare.

The lettuce in the SFG bolted, but the ones in pots did not.

They've all gotten the same watering and the same fertilizing.

Musings:

I thought it could be sun exposure, but the one pot gets less than the SFG and it's doing better.

I thought it could be depth of soil, but that same pot with less sun has shallower root depth availability than the SFG

Could it be my untreated boards? They're looking pretty mildewy just from last week's rains.

Basically just either looking for advice or encouragement. I have several other boxes (deeper and treated) planned for the spring and I don't want to scrap the plans, but I don't want to waste my money either....

Comments (27)

Sponsored