SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andreweth

Large Tree Suggestions

Andrew
7 years ago

I'm looking for a strong, large tree to put out in my back yard. While not near any buildings, the spot is on a hillside right next to a fence enclosing a horse pasture. There used to be a big sycamore tree there, but the strong winds snapped the tree right near its base.

I want a long-lived, relatively low maintenance tree that will grow as large as possible, it must tolerate clay soil, and it needs to be able to withstand heavy winds. Preferably, it would be a northeastern US native and have a vivid fall color- either bright yellow or scarlet (although evergreen would be alright too).

I was considering a tulip tree until I read that they don't hold up well in windy areas (lots of potential for breakage and a constant mess of small fallen branches).

Shagbark hickory looks nice, but the nuts seem like they would be tough when it comes time to mow the lawn. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Yellow birch also seemed nice, until I found various people discouraging its use (along with all birches) because of pest problems.

American beech appeared to be another good choice, but then I saw that they have huge, shallow root systems that can mess up the area around them, and tip over in extreme wind.

I have a lot of red and sugar maples around, and there's also a red oak right near that spot, so I want something different. I read that scarlet oak doesn't tolerate clay soils. White ash looks lovely, but that's not an option until the emerald ash borer is dealt with. Same with the American chestnut blight situation.

I am in Upstate NY, zone 5a. Any input is appreciated!

Comments (31)