SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shopperpicky

A ? about American patriotism and sports

amicus
7 years ago

I'm Canadian and was raised in a city near the border. I won't speak for residents of all Canadian border cities, but the one I grew up in is quite 'Americanized' so to speak. One factor might be receiving so many more American t.v. and radio stations, and watching as much coverage of their (much larger city) news, as our own local news.

The American city across from ours has amazing NHL and MLB teams, while ours has none. Consequently, the vast majority of sports fans in our border city, including my family, grow up being die hard fans of our neighbour's teams. We'd cross the border to watch their games, and cheer just as loud as any American in the stands. The bond to the American team is so strong, that their Canadian fans call them 'our boys' and still root for them to win, even against any 'rival' Canadian team they're playing!

This would escape the Americans in attendance though, as it was unlikely to be able to distinguish these fans as Canadian, on sight alone. The great majority of our fans would be wearing the American team's jersey. Their cars have bumper stickers of the American team's logo and carry window flags of the same. The only visual giveaway would be our Canadian licence plate.

This border city is actually my former residence, as I left many years ago, after college. I soon became less connected to my favourite cross-border American team. It was a natural progression, after moving to a new city, not near the border. I realized that my own country's teams deserved my support. America has so many sports fans of their own, they wouldn't suffer if I rooted for our own teams first and foremost, henceforth.

My former American neighbour's teams, are still my favourites, whenever they play another American team. I just don't root for them when they play against our Canadian teams anymore. It no longer felt okay to sing our national anthem along with our players, then sit down and root for the American team. But my relatives back home, along with the majority of the city's sports fans, still do, feeling more connected with that city's teams, than the Canadian teams further away. They separate allegiance to country in general, from allegiance to country's sports teams, IYKWIM.

My question is, if as an American sports fan, you lived in a city with no pro teams, but close to a Canadian city that did, would you root for them over American teams, or simply root for an American team in another city?

Comments (18)