SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rivenshire

Fiddle me this? - FLF problems (w/pics)

rivenshire
7 years ago

Hi all,

I bought a fiddle leaf fig in August. I cared for it at first by following advice I had read online (water once a week, keep in indirect light). I then found Al's (tapla) amazing advice about Ficus plants and house plants in general and decided to repot due to roots poking out of the soil on top and bottom. I ended up cutting off the bottom 1/3 and shaving down the sides and potting in a different pot with moisture control soil (but now there's 2 different soils in one pot). Going to do a full root pruning and repot in Spring 2017.

Since then,

1. From Aug-Nov, the FLF lost 3 or 4 leaves (all from the bottom). They would develop large brown spots, then the leaf would yellow and fall off. In December (really cold weather here), the FLF quickly lost 2 or 3 more leaves the same way.

2. The 2 new leaves that grew after I repotted are more yellow in color than the rest of the leaves and have small brown dots on them (see pic)

3. The stem of the FLF also has larger brown spots (shown in pic)

4. Brown dots/tears on few leaves

5. 1 of the old leaves has developed a tan coating or discoloration of some sort (can't be wiped off)

I water the FLF about once every 10 days (plan on using Al's dowel rod method to check for dryness soon, just haven't gotten around to it). It is near a north-facing window. I can't really see any bugs, but I know there are many that can't be seen with the naked eye.

Anyone know what could be going on? Thanks so much in advance.

New leaf:

Spots on stem: (Could the white dots be bugs?)

Comments (3)