SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glen_raven

Can Anyone identify what type of tomatos?

Glen Raven
7 years ago

Can anyone help me identify what type of tomatoes these are and if they look healthy? i was given some seeds but i have no idea what they are. my leave

branches are turning upside down ,they leaves are fine they aren't curling up just the whole branch tend to flip upside down

Comments (11)

• digdirt2
    7 years ago

Agree there is no way to ID varieties from the plants or even from the fruit. Sorry. There are simply thousands of possibilities. So if knowing the variety name is important to you then your only option is to plant labeled seeds. Otherwise all you can do is take what you get.

Another possible cause of your branch issues besides the more common ones gorbelly named is over-crowding of plants such as appear in your photos. That causes them to compete for space both above and below the soil, nutrients, and sun exposure. Once you are sure those other issues are under control you could consider trimming back some of the excessively long leaf branches, a thinning if you will, to eliminate some of the problems.

Dave

Glen Raven thanked digdirt2
  • gorbelly
    7 years ago

Agree with Dave. I was assuming you were going to prune those plants heavily to one or two stems given how close they are. Although it looks like some of those might have a bush/tree-like growth habit, which IMO is harder to figure out how to prune.

Glen Raven thanked gorbelly
  • Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    7 years ago

I agree. There in no way to id a plant from its foliage alone. But sometimes you might be able narrow it down to several varieties after getting fruits at different stages. This is only possible if the fruit has an uncommon size/shape/color such that there aren't many varieties in that category. All these yeaars, getting seeds from store bought so-called "heirloom" tomatoes I have positively identified one : ANANAS NOIRE.

This is just a rare case, as there not that many varieties with its features.

Sey

• Glen Raven
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback and advice ,have been pruning the laterals from day one and they each only have one main stem but i'm still unsure how to thin out the leaves ...do you just snap of the the whole branch like a lateral? not sure .. but they are flowering are starting to produce tomatoes too so i'm very pleased with them none the less

• gorbelly
    7 years ago

I think if you're pruning to one stem, you probably don't need to do much additional pruning. Maintaining some leaf cover and foliage for photosynthesis is important.

Epinasty is sometimes not accompanied by any other detrimental symptoms. Some varieties seem prone to it--I notice a lot of people asking about epinasty in Early Girl tomatoes, for example. I would just make sure you're not overwatering and that you're not fertilizing with too much nitrogen. Especially after a tomato plant starts flowering and fruiting, excessive nitrogen can inhibit fruit production. It can also make plants much more attractive to pests and more susceptible to foliar disease. Most tomato-specific fertilizers have lower levels of N and higher levels of P and K. Most general plant fertilizers will have more N or equal levels of N, P and K.

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    7 years ago

i'm still unsure how to thin out the leaves ..

I would prune /trim the leaf branches with a pruner or scissors.

I do trim anything below the lowest truss/cluster. Of course I would trim/prune those that are to close to the soil even before there is any truss. Sometimes I trim part of a leaf branch when it is too low or if the tip part is damaged or just look not healthy and leave the branch stem in place with a few leaves. That branch eventually will be aborted and fall off by itself. I would not snap a leaf branch off the stem as if might make a wound. But I do snap the lateral branches that I don't want to keep, before they get too big/thick.

Sey

Glen Raven thanked Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
  • Barrie, (Central PA, zone 6a)
    7 years ago

But what Sey is recommending should not be done yet with your plants. They look good as young plants with no laterals laying on soil. Plant spacing for your plan is great. Just hold up on any further nitrogen application until you start picking.

Glen Raven thanked Barrie, (Central PA, zone 6a)
  • Glen Raven
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hey Guys though i would post a update on how the tomatos are going

• Labradors
    7 years ago

Looking FABULOUS! Well done!

Linda

Glen Raven thanked Labradors
  • Glen Raven
    Original Author
    7 years ago