SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrmaxgee

help with ficus (fiddle leaf fig)

Max Gross
7 years ago

About three months ago, I bought a v healthy looking ficus plant. Based on the recommendation of plant store I did not remove the plant from the plastic container, instead cut additional slits into the side to allow the roots to grow out. I then put a nice layer of gritty mix at the bottom and filled out the rest of the pot with the remaining mix (see picture).

I water the plant once every two weeks, and fertilize with Foliage Pro (9-3-6) once every two months. I water the plant thoroughly each time, and the drainage situation appears ample (water always comes through the drainage holes quickly and in volume). The plant has not been moved from its non-drafty location of my apartment which is well lit and gets maybe 30-60 minutes of direct sun every day.

Over the past six weeks, my ficus has not been happy. It has lost several leafs and brown spots have been appearing on the bottom leafs, and I am now seeing some evidence of this spotting on top leaves, which is concerning. There has been no new growth since the plant has arrived at my apartment.

The one environmental element that has changed during this period (beyond shorter days) is my old NYC radiator system has come on - which emits a very dry heat (succulents do very well in the windowsill above my radiators). To address this issue, I am now running a large humidifier in the room, which seems to have addressed the humidity issue

My question is, based on the picture, can anyone else diagnose any other potential issues I have beyond humidity?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!