SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kabradley

Honeywell Aquastat L8048G w/Taco Zone Valves - how to add Common wire

kabradley
7 years ago

Trying to install a new Ecobee3 thermostat and have to run a "Common" wire up to the thermostat. Difficult to find any solid information on the Honeywell Aquastat L8048G online (just for the replacement controllers, which are not wired exactly the same as the L8048G).

Attached is a diagram of the current (pre-Ecobee3) wiring (boiler, Taco valves, thermostats) - want to make sure it is correct. I have seen some wiring diagrams that show alternate ways to wire the thermostats and Taco valves, so want to make sure my current wiring is actually correct. It always worked before, but want to make sure nothing is installed incorrectly/backwards.

The Aquastat has a built-in 24V transformer. How do I know which wire would be used for the COMMON wire? Assume blue wire on "T" would be the "Common"? If not, which wire/terminal would I use?

Assume I can pull a common from the Aquastat board/internal transformer, but not sure. If not, should I purchase a stand-alone 24V transformer or the FAST-STAT Common Maker?

http://www.fast-stat.net/

If that is the case, how would I wire one into the current system?

Please review the diagram and comment/correct as necessary. The boiler has been seemingly fine for 48 years wired as shown, but see various ways to wire thermostats and valves to boiler and want to make sure it is correct. Most important issue is how to add a common wire to this setup most economically. Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Comment