SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jesslake

Layout addicts - need help deciding on whether to put in prep sink

jesslake
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi, with much help from these forums I am just about ready to confirm my new kitchen design. The one last thing I can't decide on is whether or not to put a small sink in the island. I absolutely love having an island free and clear but really miss having a second sink (I had one in my pantry in my last house, here there is just one and no other place in the entire downstairs to put another) so I'm thinking that a prep sink in the island would be a good idea. I've been googling around and often see "post your plan and the experts will tell you if your kitchen needs a prep sink or not" so here we go. Attached is a rough 3-d. It makes the kitchen look much smaller than it is. The island will be approx 76x50. I think I'd put the sink either centred or in the corner by the fridge, with compost collection underneath. The current kitchen configuration is very similar and I do 90% of my prep on the island, turning around to rinse and dispose of waste. We have a large family and I often find I bump into other people at the sink. I also have three young kids and often find the single sink full of paint pots and other craft refuse just when I need to prep for dinner. From my habits, it would seem like a no-brainer to add small sink in the island but I also really love a big blank slate of an island. There is no where else to put a second sink.

Help! Thanks!

PS in case you're curious, the fridge is a panelled 30" full fridge with freezer drawers under-counter to the left of it, the cooktop doesn't show in the drawing but it is under the window above two side-by-side ovens, dw is between sink and fridge, dining room is out to the left and breakfast table to the right so the island will not be used for meals, oh and windows are counter to ceiling. that's not relevant to this question but they are so gorgeous that I can't not mention them :)

Comments (14)