SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ramonm_colonmontes

Can I have a furnace and Resistive Heating at the same time?

Ramon Colon
7 years ago

I am in the process of replacing/fixing my HVAC.

We currently have a propane furnace installed and heat pump. This past winter the propane was connected but since then has been disconnected. We do not want to use propane as our heating source due to costs. I have talked to two different HVAC contractors and am getting mixed opinions.

Contractor A says that the way my system is set up, all that needs to be done is to replace my thermostat with a 3-phase one and put an outdoor sensor. This would then be programmed to use the heat pump and the back-up electric coil heat until it gets too cold and then it could kick in with the propane. The other option is to replace the system.

Contractor B says that the 3-phase option is not possible. He said the inside part of the HVAC (the air handler) only does either electric (via the coils) or gas (furnace), not both. If we want to get out of using propane the options he gave us are to replace the air handler or the whole system.

I am not familiar with HVAC, so it is possible that Contractor A is saying something incorrect or possibly lying? Is it possible to have a system that has BOTH the heating coils and the gas furnace, and uses the gas to help out the electric when it gets too cold outside?

Comments (11)