SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
salex

Making (or made) your own cabinets? Me too - 3-month progress update

7 years ago

This is a slow week between holidays and semesters, so I thought I'd share some photos of my kitchen-in-progress.

I'm making my own cabinets out of vertical grain Doug-fir. They will have inset doors/drawers, with nearly all base cabinets as drawers, with Blum hardware, soft-close/self-close, etc., and a clear lacquer finish.

A few months I asked for layout advice here. Thanks to all who offered layout suggestions. Since then, I've made all the base cabinet boxes and am about to start the doors/drawers. Then in the spring I'll move on to uppers.

Here's the plan:

Here is my left bank of base cabinets, which will be a drawer/trash pullout, then a prep/bar sink with a recycling pullout, and finally drawers for knives, graters, measuring stuff, and other prep items (see the vision?):

This is my cookbook cabinet. It's also a base cabinet that will go on the opposite (right) end of the U, with the finished panel facing into the middle of the room:

And here is the cart I push around two evenings per week, with base cabinets in various stages of construction in the background (including 1 of 2 corner super susans):

Although I have a small woodshop at home, the local technical college
offers an evening open-lab class and LOTS of space. Since I took the
class several years ago, the instructor has been kind enough to let me
re-take the open-lab multiple times (and I'm sure I'll take it a few
more times before I'm finished).

I've seen a few comments on various threads from others who are making or have made their own cabinets, so please feel free to share photos of your work-in-progress. You all inspire me!

Comments (29)