SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moonie_57

Would you support a wind energy program?

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

This morning I was asked to sign a petition asking for the initial permit for a wind turbine project be revoked. I opted to not sign the petition because I don't have enough information to make an informed decision.

The first wind turbine farm in NC was started about 30 miles from me, and is almost completed. I've been fascinated by those turbines when I've had the opportunity to see them. They are so sleek and cool looking! But, I don't have to live by them. Nor will this new proposed farm be very close. Approximately 10 miles. And would have 100 to 150 turbines!

What I know about wind energy is that it's green, the turbines are huge, generates less noise than the older turbines, and are a detriment to flying wildlife, though less so than older turbines. And that's about the extent of my knowledge.

I've only googled a little bit today and haven't yet seen many unbiased reports. When I have more time to sit for longer periods, I will research more.

Anyone have an opinion?

Comments (41)

• 7 years ago

I don't really have an opinion either, but a new large wind farm was just constructed about 40 miles from me. This is rural farming country.

I know the (out of state) company was able to make agreements with quite a few landowners along a ridge, but there are a few properties dotted here and there who were obviously opposed. They still have signs and billboards on their properties citing their strong opposition to the turbines. However, the company must have been able to get enough landowners to agree to go ahead with their project. A major highway crosses the ridge and we can easily observe a lot of the turbines from the highway

I'm curious if the company purchased or leased the small spots of land on which to construct each turbine, and what kind of $$$ each landowner received per turbine site. Anybody know?

moonie_57 (8 NC) thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • 7 years ago

In a word, NO.

moonie_57 (8 NC) thanked kentrees12
  • Related Discussions

Wind and trunk support(s)

Q

Comments (2)
    Serge, The tree will re-sprout and recover in times. Hopefully, you will have a better tree support system next time. Good luck. Tony
    ...See More

Are you in favor of the Cape Wind project?

Q

Comments (21)
    I am very much in favor of the wind farm. I understand that a lot of the opponents are worried about the wildlife of the area (and if something like zebra-striping would prevent needless bird fatalities, then I think that route should be explored). Unfortunately, I think the majority of people are afraid of what the end product will look like. It's turning into something of a "not in my backyard" issue. There wouldn't be as much opposition to the project if it were planned for New Bedford. A lot of the opponents still want their power to be eco-friendly and clean but they don't want to look at it. This stuff can't magically appear - we need to change our minds about what beauty is. Wind farms, solar energy and (yes, I'll say it) hydrogen power needs to proliferate regardless of appearance, and someone has to set precedent. I think this project should be the first of many. Let's face it: having a wind farm on a coastline is better than not having a coastline at all.
    ...See More

Wind Energy and Community

Q

Comments (1)
    3TIER Inc. announced at the Canadian Wind Energy Annual Conference that with the signing of additional contracts earlier this year the company is now providing operational wind energy forecasts for over 3,000MW of installed wind energy capacity throughout North America. It seems wind energy is picking up pace in Canada!! I hope that the dual wind/solar panels become common place in US as well!
    ...See More

Anybody Tried Hi-Energy Weight Loss Program?

Q

Comments (10)
    Week II in Hi-Energy (post "Detox"): Yesterday was my "first service" visit to the Gilbert, AZ office. (Btw, the contract states you have until 7 days or within 3 days of the first service date to cancel the program, whichever comes first.) Interviewed by a counselor regarding my first week of "Detox" whom when asked admitted to no credentials relating to nutrition, dieting or any medical field. After explaining the program guide booklet and selecting my food choices for purchase ($148.69--I bought extra boxes to accomadate food choices), she administered a 10-lead electrocardiogram. I learned this is a 5 and 1 program where I eat six (6)times a day. Five (5) times with their "Medifast" food and one (1) time, i.e. dinner from my home refrigerator. Dinner, or "Lean & Green", in one sentence is basically any lean meat, e.g., fish, chicken, pork, turkey, lamb and so on. You can go meatless with eggs. The "Green" is broken down chartwise into a low, moderate and highest carb count listing from their guide. Bottom line: After listening to the counselors about taking the upcoming urine test for Ketones, studying the guide and the Medifast food boxes, the Hi-Energy program offered here in Arizona--is the very same Medifast program offered online, or what is is offered at any Medifast facility (e.g. Texas). Online, you are offered an opportunity to start a franchise or join the program. See the link: http://www.medifast1.com/index.asp and you will know "Hi-Energy." Everything is there to include the program guides and food information. However, the this rabbit hole goes even deeper. These programs work by spilling ketones, or more simply put, changing the body metabolism to primarily burning fat stores in leiu of carbohydrates. At the deepest depth of this rabbit hole--you will find Robert C. Atkins, M.D. He wrote a #1 best seller called: "Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution" 2002 latest edition for $7.99. May he rest in peace. I own this book and lost 20 pounds on the Atkins diet serveral months ago. I've kept off the weight because my girl-friend who does the cooking always has presented my dinners with lean and green! Btw, a prevailing media misconception of Atkins is that there are no carbs on this diet. Actually, the first week "limits" carbs to 20 grams to induce ketosis, and thereafter to around 40 grams per day. If you look at carb gram counts in different foods-you will notice this is an abundance of food. It's dark in this hole . . . let me get my flashlight out . . . alias Hi-Energy at $924.00 plus food, or the Atkins book at $7.99 plus the frig and sensible grocery shopping? Here is a link that might be useful: Medifast is Hi-Energy
    ...See More
  • 7 years ago

I'm curious, kentrees. Why?

moonie_57 (8 NC) thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • 7 years ago

Here in my state, the land was leased from farmers and the cost to the company for the lease is approx. $10,000 a year to each landholder.

Oops, edited my error on the lease costs!

• 7 years ago

I'm curious also, kentrees.

• 7 years ago

I don't understand why anyone would be opposed to it.

moonie_57 (8 NC) thanked Texas_Gem
  • 7 years ago

Property values for those that live close, TG.

• 7 years ago

It depends. If they are working with organizations, such as Audubon, to protect important bird areas (IBA) and lessen environmental impacts, then I am much more likely to be supportive. If they are seeking to do an end run, no.

moonie_57 (8 NC) thanked gyr_falcon
  • 7 years ago

I agree with weighing the impact on local residents, too. Many in CA are not near any population areas. I am not up on where NC is planning a to expand their wind farms.

• 7 years ago

gyr falcon - from what the lady told me me, a lot of the appeal is focusing on environmental studies that were handed over to Coastal Management but not to our county officials. To me that sounds as if the study proved detrimental to wildlife. I'm not certain of that but it's what it sounds like to me. Hence the reason I need more knowledge before signing.

Also, a neighboring property has someone that suffers from vertigo so they are citing health concerns for nearby residents.

• 7 years ago

Like any commercial project, they are fine until they are close to your residence.

moonie_57 (8 NC) thanked ncrealestateguy
  • 7 years ago

I own 160 acres of farmland in Illinois. Around my farm are other farms. Most of them do not have houses on them anymore, typically a farmer works his own fields and those owned by others. One can drive for several miles without see an occupied home.

Having an alternate source of energy come from my farm (we have refused companies who want to drill on the property) would be a welcome choice for me. Sure, the guaranteed income for their right of way access only would be a nice cushion, but I would not be so against or for any petition about adding the turbines.

In November I was in Spain and they have their turbines almost in town along the Mediterranean coast. It is common. What many people might not take into consideration with the construction of the wind turbines is the number people who are employed as a result of this endeavor. Is that bad? Not to my way of thinking. And turbines don't make smoke and soot; and they don't stink.

moonie_57 (8 NC) thanked jim_1 (Zone 5B)
  • 7 years ago

moonie, I appreciate your wanting to become informed prior to deciding. I have seen so many people listen to the title, and brief script, for proposition petitions and immediately sign without any further thought put into it, that it is disheartening.

• 7 years ago

My reasons for opposition, in no particular order.

Wind energy is not a stand-alone on demand power source. It is only available when the wind is, assuming the wind is blowing at an acceptable rate. It requires a 24/7/365 'sister', our national electrical grid.

Wind energy is costly. Current (US) installations rely on gov. funding/tax breaks. At the current state of the art, wind and solar together can't come anywhere near close to replacing fossil energy. My local utility offers 'green energy units', at about THREE TIMES the cost of their conventionally generated power.

The reliability of the units MAY be questionable, and the useful life of the units is the shortest of any existing energy units, save solar.

They are ugly. They are a blot on the landscape. They lower property values in their vicinity, and they are often proposed in areas of high real value and exceptional scenery.

moonie_57 (8 NC) thanked kentrees12
  • 7 years ago

Just something I ran across while researching...

"Bald and golden eagles may be legally killed or injured in the thousands
    by high-speed turbines (reaching speeds up to 170 miles per hour),
    under new regulations released Wednesday by the Obama administration.
    The rules, which affect individual wind-energy companies that plan to
    operate the technology for up to 30 years, allows up to 4,200 of the
    birds to perish. Enforcement by federal officials is set to begin in
    January prior to President Obama’s last day in office."

I wonder if that is 4,200 birds over a 30 year period?

EDITED to add...

On the other hand, it appears from the company policies they're -trying- to protect wildlife. Policies are as follows per ABPP (Avian and Bat Protection Plan):

Document bird and bat mortalities and injuries at projects and/or structures in order to implement adaptive management actions as necessary.

Provide information, training, and resources to improve staff knowledge and awareness of the requirements of the ABPP in order to support the ABPP’s successful implementation at both the company level and as applied at specific projects.

Participate with public and private organizations in programs and scientific research to identify causes and effective controls of detrimental effects of bird and bat interactions with wind projects.

Continue to enhance the ABPP by applying lessons learned, research results, new technologies, and latest regulations and guidelines

• 7 years ago

I agree with Ken....they are a blight on the countryside. Every time I've driven by them, most of them were barely moving.

moonie_57 (8 NC) thanked Georgysmom
  • 7 years ago

I love the birds. They should be important. If we do nothing to move from fossil fuels, the climate will show no mercy to birds as well. What choices do we have? We can't sacrifice our drinking water by injecting toxics into the ground and let microscopic\nuclear waste products decay into things that hang around for millions of years and cause cancer whenever we get exposed to them by wind, dust or water. These issues will hurt animals more than it will us, because they can't take steps to avoid them.

If we can prevent or lessen any destruction by violent storms, pollution of our air water and land, swinging temps that do not favor agriculture and flooding of our coastal areas, I say some wind and solar farms are worth it. No options are perfect and all require a sacrifice of some sort. I'd prefer clean air and water and no crop failures. When we find something else better to replace them with, we can remove the windmills. Hopefully battery technology gets better so we need to make less and we learn to value resources so we waste less. Thanks for the thoughtful discussion.

moonie_57 (8 NC) thanked kittymoonbeam
  • 7 years ago

Definitely would support! My husband work in the oil field for 39 years. There's nothing uglier or more harmful to the environment. Would much rather see wind turbines. There's much that can be done to negate the harm to birds. It's a step in the right direction.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2012/feb/27/wind-energy-myths-turbines-bats

"A 2012 Bureau of Land Management memo states
    that “oil field production skim pits and centralized oilfield
    wastewater disposal facilities kill an estimated 500,000 to 1,000,000
    birds annually.” This suggests oil production alone (i.e. not including
    the production of coal or gas) can kill the same, if not more, birds per
    year than wind farms in the U.S.

Even still, there are greater threats to birds than energy production, including cats and buildings.

A 2013 Nature study
    by Loss and others estimated that “free-ranging domestic cats kill
    1.3–4.0 billion birds” in the U.S. annually. But the researchers added,
    “Un-owned cats, as opposed to owned pets, cause the majority of this
    mortality.”

In another study published in the journal The Condor in
    2014, Loss and colleagues also estimated “that between 365 million and 988 million birds … are killed annually by building collisions in
    the U.S., with roughly 56% of mortality at low-rises, 44% at residences,
    and 1% at high-rises.”

Source: http://www.factcheck.org/2016/06/trumps-hot-air-on-wind-energy/

moonie_57 (8 NC) thanked User
  • 7 years ago

moonie_57 (8 NC) thanked jim_1 (Zone 5B)
  • 7 years ago

kittymoonbeam - just to touch on one of your points... Just getting rid of them seems to be an impossible feat. Denmark
    has reported in their leading business journal concerning replacement of aging blades, "There exists no
    solution". They now have 600 aging turbines- thus, 1,800 aging
    blades at 170 ft average and 22,000 lbs! And landfills won't take them. Fiberglass is difficult to recycle.

cindymac - I haven't yet been able to read your links but I will. And thanks!

• 7 years ago

No real help here, but we have travelled up and down and into much of our Western States, and I can vouch for Mountains cluttered with the windmills. Once upon a time, the coastal mountains between San Francisco and the Central Valley, they "charmed me"; they seemed to be such happy things, almost applauding my being there. Hah. The proliferation that we see now, 20/30 or more years later do not offer the same appeal. They are so closely stacked together they look like the remnants of a horrific forrest fire. Herds of cattle used to range there...and they still could when they were not so many. The people in the valley of Palm Springs protested greatly that they didn't want the ridges populated by thousands of windmills....they lost and it probably is the most unsightly I have seen, jmo. And we have observed very very few making energy. I repeat...Very few making energy. I think the new look of a (one) windmill near to a single house, barn setup could be an acceptable view in our landscape, but to power a city or a large area....the technology is just not there to my knowledge. Imagine what our great birds of prey see when it is a vast area of pointy sticks looking to entangle those large wingspans.....and their job in our environment is to keep the vermin under control, and we human beings seem to be always learning how important ALL the threads connect our good lives together. I'm still thinking about the miles of solar collectors that make 'lake-like' reflectors in our desert.

moonie_57 (8 NC) thanked nanny98
  • 7 years ago

We have them in California of course. They are a blight and they kill birds. I think I read somewhere that California's golden eagle population fell by 80%. Funding appears to have run out for maintenance. Many are broken.

moonie_57 (8 NC) thanked wildchild2x2
  • 7 years ago

I cross posted with Nanny. She stated it better than I.

moonie_57 (8 NC) thanked wildchild2x2
  • moonie_57 (8 NC) thanked Michael
  • 7 years ago

After have had one put in near me....no. They are not energy efficient.. An article in the local paper said it would take 400 years to pay for them for no more energy they produce. Those things will be deteriorating long before that. The farmers hate them and are in lawsuits to try to get their payments and the ones who live near them, hate the noise they make. We also have a nuclear plant and the does produce a lot of good clean energy.

moonie_57 (8 NC) thanked phoggie
  • 7 years ago

I think I read somewhere that California's golden eagle population fell by 80%.

No basis for this statement that I can find, Watchmelol -- do you have one? Based on what I, an ecologist, see (goldens are common around here -- often circle the Safeway parking lot), on the annual report of the Golden Gate Raptor Observatory I just received (I spent 6 years as a volunteer fall-migration watcher with them), and on this study, for one, golden eagle populations seem to be stable. While there has been an elevated kill rate associated with the Altamont wind farms to the east of our city, (somewhat mitigated by changing the style of wind turbines), that was more due to bad siting than an inherent characteristic of wind farms in general, others of which have far less bird mortality. Windows (skyscrapers especially), cats, cars, and electrical wires all kill far more birds, by many orders of magnitude, than wind turbines (as CindyMac pointed out). There may be reasons wind power is not a perfect solution, but bird mortality is not a strong argument against them.

moonie_57 (8 NC) thanked catspa_zone9sunset14
  • 7 years ago

First, Brushworks' link.

It's a political piece with a bit of hyperbole. To say that Ontario has the highest power rates in North America is very wrong. Last time I looked, I'm in North America. My baseline electricity cost (if I were to turn on one light bulb and nothing else all month) is over 18 cents per kwh, compared to Ontario's peak rate at 17.5 cents and off peak at 8.3. Forget that the Canadian dollar is currently 75 cents, that makes the peak rate more like 13 US cents. During air conditioning season, part of my bill was in the 40 cents per kwh level. So much for that information.

Yes, I support wind farms. The more, the sooner, the better. Yes, I've seen windfarms around California and Europe. Also the solar plants out in the desert and in uninhabited areas. Their beauty comes from thinking about the ugly and terribly polluting power plants they replace. Those of you with NIMBY attitudes are going to have to suck it up and deal with it, because renewable energy is where the world is going to.

Here's one of the many now existing but soon to be scrapped alternatives, the 5th largest emitter of CO2 in the US, the coal burning Navajo Power Station near Page, AZ, that I drove by earlier this year.

(Edit to add - 3rd largest emitter of CO2, not 5th)

Navajo Power Station

• 7 years ago

The"report" may have suspect facts in some areas, but is a thoughtful one that might be taken apart and found to have some factual evidence to move forward with. The Public needs to be heard and given All the facts when these objections happen. Big Public (HA) Corporations should not be able to be the Biggest Hog at the table in making my small contribution $5.00 be totally swallowed up by their millions in attorneys salaries that have been created from MY taxes or my payments or my future payments for having their service....and it being my only option for service. Sound familiar. I have seen many many unsightly coal burning stations and I have been surprised at how clean and efficient some newer ones are. The Perfect answer has not been devised, but I do feel confident that it will happen. I also feel like telling any group to "suck it up" is counterproductive and disrespectful. Renewable Energy is our future....no doubt, but it needs lots more work. Saying there is only one way forward or even two, simply can not be true. Why would one want to compare an out-dated relic of energy production to what is happening today? Actually, many of the 'relic and 30-40 year old wind mills, that sit, stabbing into the air like talons to our birds of prey.....how are we going to dispose of those...at what cost. WE must learn to have longer vision and not be led down the paths of 'get rich schemes"

• 7 years ago

Some folks in my state are for wind turbines until they realize where the site will be and then they yell, "Not in my back yard!" These are the type of people who want to enjoy the benefits at someone Else's cost or inconvenience. Sad to say that we have too many of these people in my state.

As to bird kill, I have not seen real data from actual observations, or comparison to other bird kill objects such as tall buildings, smokestacks, chimneys, radio towers, guy wire supports, vehicular traffic, transmission lines, and poisoned food. (Many crop seeds are treated to reduce mold and spoilage and most of these treatments are poisonous to birds and people should they ingest any.) I do know about a new solar plant in California that became a big bird killer as soon as it went into operation. This is a very large plant that uses heliostats to catch the sun's rays and direct these rays to a central boiler on a tower in the middle of many acres of collectors. The rays are very intense near the boiler. The workers have coined the term, smokers, to describe hapless birds that might fly through the concentrated beams. The birds are scorched to a crisp and leave a trail of smoke as they plunge to the ground. The Editor of Power Magazine has said, this problem is severe and no deterrent has been found, that no other plant of this type will ever likely be built. This is very unfortunate because this technology was so promising. This large scale demonstration plant was a technical success, and a failure in regard to wildlife.

I'm not sure why birds are killed by the very large, slow turning wind turbines. I suppose the tip velocity of these blades can be high, but most I've seen turn at slow speed when putting out power. Maybe there is a problem with migrating song birds. Many of these small birds migrate at night. Ornithologists believe that night migration avoids predators.

There is a problem with noise. Occasional, a support tower will develop a vibratory hum. This can be disconcerting if it is too close to a house. The obvious solution is siting: Don't put a turbine too close to a dwelling or livestock building.

I haven't heard any discussion about any effect that the rotating blades might have on through-the-air reception of radio, TV, or cell phones. If the blades are transparent to radio waves, the effect should be minimal. However, if reflections are generated, the effect could be bad.

moonie_57 (8 NC) thanked jemdandy
  • 7 years ago

I would have no problem supporting wind, though the larger problem is renewables are not reliable...the sun has to shine, the wind has to blow...so you still need the capacity to meet the energy demands for those times when renewables aren't working. If more effort were put into recycling and safely storing nuclear waste, IMHO, it is a far better solution. Especially today with computerized controls which are so much more sophisticated than those used during 3 mile island. I mean, if they can make a nuclear power plant safe enough to be portable, they certainly should be able to come up with a consistent, safe, repeatable and affordable design on land. But that's another story.

One issue I have not understood well, though, is why windmills look much as they did hundreds of years ago. It may just be invested patents and technologies that continue to drive their design. The vertical shaft are supposed to be less damaging to birds and better capture the wind from all directions.

And as far as the bird issue goes, if the climate goes haywire, the birds are doomed anyway...as are we.

moonie_57 (8 NC) thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • 7 years ago

I don't mind wind farms accompanied by strategic planning. We have a few in my area that are located in commercial areas.

For those who want coal to disappear, forget it. The US has about 200 years of coal to mine and it will get mined. Exports generate billions of $$ for USA and our government won't give that away to Russia or China.

Steel and iron won't be made by wind power, (not in our lifetime) but coal, steel and iron will always be required to produce wind power.

moonie_57 (8 NC) thanked Michael
  • 7 years ago

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/samso-denmark-renewable-energy-climate-change-global-warming-solar-wind-power/

SAMSO, Denmark-- "It's an out-of-the-way place that
    takes some getting to, but the little Danish island of Samso -- a
    20-mile-long squiggle of farms and tidy villages -- is providing answers
    to some of the biggest questions facingour warming world.

Samso's residents have already found ways to reduce their greenhouse gas output to effectively zero.

They
    haven't done it using magical new technology, they've used what they
    have readily available; power from the wind, power from the sun and
    power from crop waste."

...Continued at link with video

moonie_57 (8 NC) thanked User
  • 7 years ago

I love the idea of solar panels....imagine parking lots covered with solar panels that protect the cars from the sun and rain while generating power all day long. We have 5 kw on our roof and it is a miracle to me every day that we can generate power silently, cleanly, without disturbing anyone or anything. Amazing.

• 7 years ago

Our municipal facility is solar powered.
    Solar Powell

moonie_57 (8 NC) thanked Michael
  • 7 years ago

I spent the better part of yesterday, way into the night, reading everything I could find. The mistake I made was to move over to social media. It left me rather stunned to see postings by friends, neighbors and acquaintances on a face book page created to fight this wind project. It was worse than any of the political crap over the past year and kind of took the wind out of my sails, no pun intended. I'm disheartened by it all and decided to take a step back and enjoy the weekend. Next week I am going to take a ride over to the other site and check it out more thoroughly, but I do know that at this point I'm not going to sign the petition. But I am more interested in wind power than I realized.

• 7 years ago

Good for you, moonie. Get your own information, make up your own mind.

Be sure to look into what the power sources are for the company that would use this electricity. What kind of energy sources are used now to generate electricity, that the proposed wind power would supplement or replace?

• 7 years ago

Another "Good for You!", Moonie. I hope you will come back and help your friends at the table be a bit more informed on the subject. I will be one of them. Renewable Energy and Climate Change is a topic very much in our minds in the State of Oregon....and the way forward is just so unclear. Interestingly, I haven't seen any wind turbines in this state...maybe a lone one on occasion; but the eastern part of the High Desert could have them.

• 7 years ago

The big question is how to reduce energy consumption.

It took our Maui condo complex six years to get permission to install solar panels on our horizontal roofs. Guess what utility is trying to prevent this? Yes the power plant the burns OIL.

moonie_57 (8 NC) thanked chisue
  • 7 years ago

We've done a lot to reduce our energy consumption and are pleased with the results...from solar panels to closed cell insulation and tankless water heaters and a geothermal heating and cooling system. If everyone could do something, even small, it would make a tremendous difference to the planet.

• 7 years ago

Annie, I wish we could go solar but it's not something we can do right now. So happy you're doing your part!

Earlier I rode over to the other project and was surprised to find that the closest turbines are only 12 miles away. Closer, as the crow flies.

This isn't a good pic. Was a cloudy day and my hand isn't steady. I was appx 300 yards off. These aren't as big as I thought. The ones proposed for my town are almost 100 ft taller.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida