SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
onedevoteddame

Architectural Style Help -- Red Brick, Casements, & Hips?

One Devoted Dame
7 years ago

Okay, so here's the thing....

My husband likes red brick. I like casement windows. These are the only two seriously-gotta-have things, from which the rest of the house's style can flow.

Sadly, the place we want to move to, and build a home, frequently has hurricane force winds without the actual risk of hurricanes (we will be nowhere near the coast).

I was thinking about cpartist's hip roof on her Craftsman, a design decision driven by the hurricanes down in FL, and I just can't put a hip on a Tudor Revival. A Craftsman can carry that change far more gracefully because of the low slope. A Tudor's steep roof just can't, the roof is too vital to the style.

So what are my other classic (presumably) European options? Do the French have anything that uses brick? I think they favor hips, right? I need a steep roof for snow (which can fall between September and May, but not really build up until around November to March).

Red Brick + Casements = ???

(Side note: Storybook is, to my dismay, probably not an option my husband would agree to, lol.)

I only ask so that I know which terms to toss into search engines, because "red brick casement windows" isn't bearing much fruit, especially here on Houzz. I want to have inspiration photos to share with people of design talent/architects.

Thank you. <3

Comments (36)