SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
editoria

Are you selective about whose car you'll ride in?

Alisande
7 years ago

Cacocobird's post about stopping driving made me think of this. The older I get, the more particular I am about who is behind the wheel. I love to drive, and almost always prefer to be the driver. I'm fine with being a passenger if one of my family members is driving, but I don't feel that way about all my friends.

One of my closest friends is 10 years younger than I. She likes to drive, and she's a good driver. I wouldn't mind riding with her, although it rarely happens. Another close friend is 10 years older. She dislikes driving, and jokes that she drives fast to get it over with as quickly as possible. I will not ride with her, but I don't think she's aware of this because I make sure the issue never comes up.

Fortunately, the older I get, the easier it is to say no--to anything. Last week I planned to drive a friend to a party. At the last minute she called to give me what she thought was good news: "John," a mutual friend, was going to drive both of us. My "no" was immediate. Actually, I think I said, "No no no." John, a nice guy and very talented, often demonstrates a great fondness for alcohol. He's one of the last people I'd want driving me anywhere. I told my friend to tell John I preferred to take my own car--and that's the truth. In addition to trusting my own driving, I like to have my car waiting for me when I'm ready to leave. An escape route, if you will.

Anyone else have thoughts on this subject?

The photo is my beloved Caprice. (Eat your heart out, Elmer.) LOL

Comments (36)