SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amynoacids

Baby trees skipping winter (aka what the heck do I do with these??)

I always do an annual donation to the Arbor Foundation. Last year, since I've been playing around with bonsai, I took them up on their offer of 10 baby trees as a thank you gift. These are in ground and coming along nicely. This year, I opted for it again, thinking it would be nice to have some to experiment/get the hang of things with.

My problem is that the ground has frozen, and I can't plant them. We had a warm front yesterday and it got up to 50, so I thought maybe I had a chance. I ran outside all excited and then my shovel bounced off the ground like it was cement. Didn't even thaw a little.

So, these trees have been in my kitchen in water to keep roots wet, and I don't know what to do with them. Should I plant them in pots in the plant room, with lights, and skip dormancy? I don't have a garage, and our basement is finished/heated, so it's either inside or outside.

Trees are all tiny babies, trunk diameter 1/4-1/2 inch. I have redbuds, dog woods, crepe myrtle, crab apple, and Washington Hawthorne. In I zone6a on the west coast of Michigan.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022