SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

What do you treat your indoor trees like come winter?

meyermike_1micha
13 years ago

Look how resilient these trees are!

They can either be kept actively growing for one's pleasure all winter by providing lot's of sunlight coupled with supplimental lights and very warm temps..

Some deliberately defoliate their trees..

Some force them to slow grow, to the point where they will not grow much at all, if at all,but still bloom in extremely cold conditions..Deliberatley hold back flushes of new growth..

My aunt pinches off any new growth that starts to appear all winter, but let's the older growth remain.

Many will watch them go bare, and withold water much more often until growth picks up again come spring.....

Some provide a greenhouse with just the sunlight and very cool temps, while others provide very warm temps in their greenhouse and keep the actively growing all winter or a sunroom...

Other's fertilize all winter long while others hold back all together..

How do you treat your plants while winter is upon us..???

Me...?

I like to let them just rest, with their leaves in tact, all green , all the while they flower abundantly for me.

How?

What I do is deliberatley provide cold temps all winter "strictly", I mean I strickly do not let the plant room rise above the mid 60's by day which keeps their buds and flowers in the fullest possible display of beauty, which keeps the room humid, all the while avoiding pest outbreaks and leaf drop..I use a thermometer and a humidity gauge...

This works well for me..I provide no artificial lighting, just all the natural sunlight they can get..

I also fertilize at every watering no matter what, with a few skips of forgetting in between..

Thank you

Mike

Comments (2)