SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

New Year's Quandry

plllog
7 years ago

New Year's Eve is the last night of Hanukkah. Usually for New Year's we have something (downscale) akin to tapas, but because of Hanukkah we're having a sit down dinner. OTOH, I'm tired of planning and cooking holiday dinners. But there will be "company" even though it's family. People who need to be fed rather than the ones who just wander into the kitchen and graze. Because it's Hanukkah, fried foods are a good thing--but there isn't a spec or hint of anybody with any leanings towards keeping kosher coming.

Big preamble. What I've come up with is for a few elders, a few more over 40, and one tween, trying to suit everybody's diets and druthers. It's a mixed mess, but I think it will all taste good and work, even if it's a bit starchy/fatty rather than crunchy veggy/meaty, the latter being my usual kind of meal. It's been cold and it's supposed to rain, so starchy/fatty may be a good thing. :)

I don't need suggestions of other things to make. What I'd like to know is if you'd like to eat this meal, even if it's weird, and if there's anything missing, or something that's just wrong.

• Chunky dill split pea soup with (the chunks) vegetables, turkey, and prosciutto crisps.

• Whole wheat baguettes with butter.

• Potato galette with roasted root vegetables and herbed chevre inside.

• Beer batter fried shrimp (or chicken strips if I can't get good fresh shrimp). (For the non-soup eater plus anyone who wants them.)

• Linda's cranberry jezebel for the soup, bread or shrimp, as people please (all around good condiment).

• Sonhos (fried choux puffs), with jam and and pastry cream.

• Very chocolate ice cream (mini-scoops).

Comments (17)