SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
auntiejenny

Ideas for a simple Christmas dinner

AuntieJenny (z9/19 SoCal)
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I'm looking for menu ideas for a simple Christmas Eve/Day dinner to prepare next year that doesn't require important calculation for cooking time and risk overcooking or going cold while waiting for late guests to arrive.

More specifically, I need menu ideas to serve family members who perpetually arrive late (1-2 hours late) and/or not hungry in spite of knowing that a generous meal will be served - a nice meal that cost money and time and energy and much forethought to prepare. This is a small group of immediate family, not people we can cut off the list!

Please don't suggest the rest of us go ahead and eat without them, as that will just cause tempers to flare, create a scene, and make things very uncomfortable. :-)

Some ideas so far:

- Simple appetizer: mixed nuts

- Main course: 1 or 2 good hearty chili and/or soups prepared in advanced, frozen, and reheated in the crock pot and/or large pot on stove. Serve with grated cheese, green onions, Creme Fraiche. OR - Homemade lasagna prepared ahead and frozen.

- Good store-bought sourdough bread and butter

- A simple salad (greens, cucumber, tomatoes).

- Dessert - ice cream + cookies or a frozen dessert from Trader Joe's.

- Beverages: BYOB, hot cider

Any other ideas are welcome!! I will compile any suggestions in my list for next year. Thank you!

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County