SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momrules5831

Hostess Recap - Xmas Version

runninginplace
7 years ago

After the 'what I really want' topic....how did it go for those of us who host(ess)ed?

Reading everyone else's thoughts helped me think a little more deeply about why I really was volunteering and about how I wanted my own evening to be.

So...my menu was simple; I got good NY strip steaks and my BIL grilled them. Had a few lobster tails that I broiled ahead of time, and did baked potatoes instead of more elaborate and time consuming pounds of mashed spuds. My guests brought appetizers, salad and dessert. My husband and I got the house set up in the morning and I really was able to relax and *BE* with my family to celebrate. Everyone had a great time; best of all I had help clearing the table so got all the dishes in the DW and the kitchen clean, then while my daughter and I took MIL home my wonderful husband cleaned/cleared up the patio and when I got home the house was tidied up, calm and all back together!

Truly a lovely holiday and everyone said they had a wonderful time-so happy to report I did too this year :). It wasn't one of the holidays I look back on and don't recall anything other than being a caterer at my own party!

Comments (25)

• eld6161
    7 years ago

Glad that things worked out so well for you, Running.

We had behind the scene drama with my oldest DD. But, on the day of Christmas, all went smoothly. I too have pared down and realize what I am capable of doing.

I have a small kitchen and I decided to have just my youngest helping me. She takes direction the best and works quickly!

Everything turned out well, but I am still not over the stress of everything combined. Emotions in our family run high over the holidays and I don't know how this can be avoided.

• Related Discussions

Louisville Spring Plant Swap?

Q

Comments (52)
    I will have the name tags Wonderful! I think i would like to try the Moonflower plant. Does it need sun? I'm not sure, but imagine it would need at least a little sun, in order to get some blooms....You could try it anyway and see. I don't think it is supposed to be hardy here, but mine returns each year as it is in a micro climate on the south side of the house against the brick wall....plus it reseeds a lot if one is not careful to get it deadheaded or the spiney balls cut off before they dry and split open Might you be having some Thalia Daffodils dug and available this year. I promise to take all that 'might' be left over after everyone has gotten what they want/need. Who was it that had Cameleon plant last year? I could use a little more, as my little plants did not spread at all, yet, and seem to be just barely hanging on. Don't count on my grass being cut with the rain we have had. Not to worry...boy I understand how that is. If it isn't raining, it is still overcast and still really wet. In case others haven't figured it out yet...SUE goes crazy over brownies :) You got that right Sherlock! So, save me a brownie or two! hahahaha Maybe it would be best if Marcia put you a couple up inside, first thing. I'll miss you being set up in 'your' usual' corner, but we'll squeeze you in I'm sure somewhere. Marcia, how about trying to keep your driveway open for folks to just do their unloading. Anyone who has to park very far away, might have to make several trips to offload what they bring...Whatcha think? Then as people are starting to leave, they can pull in the drive to load up too. I look forward to 'social' hour after the plant swapping is done, and the crowd thins a bit, and the seed boxes are leisurely gone through Maybe more folks will get to stay a bit longer and get to visit more this year...after the plant flurry' passes. Sue...bossy ringleader...gettin all excited
    ...See More

With the holidays soon approaching...

Q

Comments (33)
    Oh Justme sounds wonderful-I would love to do that but I have 2 doggies I have to contend with, which is why they usually travel with me to my family when I visit. I have made it clear to DH several times I will not go to our old home again ever. I don't know why he even tries. And I really do not understand why he is so insistent on my being present for his Xmas with Skids. Especially since I made SS so uncomfortable that he felt he needed to seperate us. I have not spoken to any of them in over 6 months. I have no desire to have a relationship with them any longer & I'm at peace with that. I have no ill will towards any of them, I just don't feel any connection there any longer and think that part of my life is in the past. I have not had any problems with his other two kids, they are very nice but again there is no relationship. Honestly I don't think they will particularly enjoy coming here either. But hey, ya gotta do what ya gotta do to get the loot. We still have tomorrow so maybe he'll decide to do it SS's way after all. If not, there is a bottle of Chardonnay with my name on it & that's how I will cope for a few hours on Sat. It's just not "Christmas" like it used to be. Next year will be better. ~Cat
    ...See More

What will you have for Christmas dinner?

Q

Comments (106)
    While everyone is celebrating Christmas, I'll be hosting 2 Channukah dinners Sunday and Monday and getting our Weber fired up. Sunday is for one of my childhood friends and her family. Grandkids and Daughters coming on Monday. Looking forward to all the kids lighting the Menorah and reciting the prayers for the lighting. Here is my Sunday Menu: First, Pomegrante Cosmopolitans, wine and beer along with Eggplant Caviar. I always go light on appetizers. Salmon on a cedar plank grilled with a dressing of apricot preserves and horseradish Baked Chicken with mustard and capers sauce Potato Latkes with homemade applesauce and sour cream sides Roasted carrots More wine Dessert will be: Homemade Lemon Yogurt Pound Cake (Barefoot Contessa and easy) Brownies My guest is bringing a desseert made from a recipe handed down from her Grandmother (who came from England). More wine and coffee. I love when Channukah falls on the same time of Xmas. I usually just host dinner on Xmas Day regardless. It's become a tradition in our home.
    ...See More

Candied Pecans Question

Q

Comments (10)
    A few years ago DD#2 asked me to buy Cinnamon almonds at a local craft fair. The price was insane so I googled it. http://asouthernfairytale.com/2012/11/12/roasted-cinnamon-almonds/ We now make them every year..this year they were in our Thanksgiving table favors. We are still eating from the batch and they are as good as ever. A friend served a twist on roasted nuts..they were spicy and also had bacon in the recipe. Very unusual. I am thinking there are a variety of versions, something for every palate.
    ...See More
  • User
    7 years ago

I'm glad you were able to simplify and have a nice day Running, and I'm sorry you had bad company Maggie.

Even though it's just the four of us and not a big group, it still felt like a big group to me. I really love my DD and her DH, we get a long really well and it was a lot of fun while we celebrated but the before prep and the after mess is just too much. Next year I plan on suggesting something different not just for Christmas but for all of our 2017 holidays. Christmas was the most stressful but I'm tired of hosting period.

Between the shopping, decorating, cooking, gift wrapping, cleaning before and the huge mess to clean up afterwards, I spent my one day of peace (Monday) cleaning. I don't feel like I had much down time at all before returning to work. What has always added more stress as well is my Birthday is just a week before and it's always pushed aside for other priorities.

• roarah
    7 years ago

I hosted a friend dinner for fifty, half the guest were children under 12, on Friday and that was a wonderful time. The food, company and even clean up was pleasantly easy. Christmas Eve my parents stay over and Christmas Day is my siblings and partners and my parents. I will say the entire time I was focussed on when everyone would leave but it was pretty drama free. My DH just had his six month ct and blood work Thursday and I am very anxious waiting for results so my mood is altered by this but I still have no desire to carry the torch any longer.

• deegw
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

My parents made the choice to not travel to our new home in CO this Christmas. Over the past 15 years I have had them for most holidays. My brother lives near them but they don't care for his wife or her family so they would rather not go to his house. There is always some kind of drama with her family.

My parents are nice people but they are both picky eaters and my Mother constantly hovers and questions how I do things. So, this year we went to a friend's house on Christmas Eve and had a family turkey dinner on Christmas Day. I missed my parents but gosh, it was a relaxing holiday.

• maire_cate
    7 years ago

roarah - my hat is off to you - dinner for 50!

This is our last Christmas in our family home of 30+ years since we're downsizing to an over 55 community in the summer. At 2900 sq ft, the new home is smaller but still spacious and the layout will be easier for entertaining. However I still wanted to make this a special celebration since it's the last one and it's the home where my kids were raised.

We only had 7 - my DS and DDIL, the other son brought his GF but my DD had a major disagreement with her BF and didn't bring him, she tried her best but I knew she was upset all evening. We don't have any other family within 350 miles so it's just us.

Everything went smoothy. We kept it on the simple side - arugula salad with pears, blue cheese and candied walnuts, roast tenderloin, potatoes, brussel sprouts and several desserts. Everything was prepped in the morning and we were able to spend time with our kids and getting to know the girlfriend.

Next year will be another story - I'm mentally preparing myself to downsize everything. I'll buy an artificial tree and I'll only decorate that one and not the usual 3. As I put things away I'm separating the decorations I want to keep and the rest I'll donate.

• User
    7 years ago

maggiepatty, I know what you mean. DH's sister was THE WORST but as long as his mother was alive, we couldn't very well have her and not the sister or even worse have neither. Ungrateful, unhelpful and brought only a small salad (which only her family ate) and a can of canned cranberry sauce (but would leave it in the car until she was sure I didn't have any and then after prayer and after surveying the table to find that her beloved cranberry sauce was unavailable, off she would go to the car and then bring me the can . . . so I would get up and open it and plate it and bring it back. Meanwhile, everything had passed me by! LOL!. Heaven help her that she would bring it in when she came but she was afraid that I would open hers instead of mine and that would cost her $1. The year mother died, we told her that we would do as we did with my brother and his family . . . no presents (since all were adults) and we would come to the city and have lunch together. She just needed to tell us when. She never did. So I said the same thing the next year. Nope. And the following year. Nope. So I stopped. I think she was afraid that we wouldn't pay for her and her children's meal so she never set a date. I cannot tell you how much happier I've been on Christmas Day not to have that bunch here. And I will never again. If she ever wants to get together at a restaurant in the city we'll come, but after three tries, I've stopped trying. The ball is now in her court! So I think you've made the right decision. You will have a much more enjoyable day.

• czarinalex
    7 years ago

We hosted Christmas eve for my DH's family. Including the 4 toddlers, we were 26 strong. My MIL at 92 is the matriarch of the family and all the grandkids made the effort to come from near and far with their children. She was so happy that her entire family was there with no one missing.

It was a lot of work, I did all the main dinner cooking. We had appetizer and dessert contributions. I made a ham with bourbon pecan glaze, baked ziti, potatoes au gratin and honey glazed carrots. We served all the food buffet style on our 9 foot kitchen island and seated to eat at our dining table with 2 extra long folding tables. It was a loud, messy day, but extremely enjoyable.

Christmas day was spent with my much smaller side of the family at my single brother's house. I cooked all his side dishes(at his house) and we had a fred flintstone sized rack of beef.

Yesterday was my day of rest.. spent the day in my pj's with my dd watching silly shows on tv. It was heaven!

• Sueb20
    7 years ago

My 81 yo dad was here from Sat morning until Monday. He needs hearing aids but won't admit it, and as soon as he left I announced that we could all go back to speaking in normal volumes. Love him, but my kids all happen to be soft spoken so everyone is constantly repeating themselves while he's here.

For Christmas Eve, the 6 of us went to a nice restaurant for dinner. For Christmas Day, I had a big brunch for the 6 of us, then mid afternoon we had 10 altogether for app-type foods, half of which we are still eating because I made way too much. By about 7 pm, we were back to 5 in the house. My best friend and her DH always come for a drink around 8:00 Christmas night, which I love as a low-pressure tradition and a fun re-hash of our individual holidays.

After my dad left yesterday morning, I stayed in my pajamas until about 3:00. Kids will be out tonight so DH and I will continue eating Christmas leftovers for dinner!

• cattyles
    7 years ago

cattyles

I posted this at the bottom of the other thread Christmas afternoon and copied it to post here.

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! Mine was very easy and stress-less. DS and his GF, dad and ex-DH came for brunch buffet and gift exchange. DS and his GF came over last night and helped me prep. They were fun and did almost everything. Ex-DH kept my dad busy and too distracted to argue with everyone (his usual pattern). It was a casual, relaxed Christmas. I didn't put up my big tree and ornament collection because of kittens that are still too rowdy. And here in west Texas the dirt is blowing and it's 62 degrees. So I was not feeling it this year.

DS and his GF rummaged around in the Christmas decor last night and found a 3' tree and some unbreakable ornaments and had that up and looking cute before I could say don't bother.

It's been a nice day with my favorite people. I truly wish the same for all of you!

• legomom23
    7 years ago

I did the panini bar thanks to the idea from here! It worked out pretty well. It was a little chaotic and everyone couldn't really sit at exactly the same time, but we did stay at the table after so it worked out. It did get people up and talking more than another type of meal. I love the concept, but I think my parents expected more of a sit down, traditional holiday type meal, not that they complained at all! We had that at their house for CHristmas Eve which is why I tried this. I also am loving the new panini maker and have had some yummy sandwiches since then. It's more bread than I usually eat though.

It was easy to prepare. My brother roasted a turkey, I roasted some chicken, caramelized some onions and shredded the cheese. The rest (condiments and spreads) was purchased and just put out on platters. I did make a pretty yummy roasted veggie soup the day before. So, it was definitely easier and more low key for me. I got to spend the morning relaxed, watching DS open presents until about noon when I started getting ready for guests to arrive at 3.

I will definitely host another panini party for friends!

• Oakley
    7 years ago

Strangest Christmas weather ever! Sustained winds about 35 mph with big gusts, fire trucks going up our dirt road, found out there were grass fires all over the place. A much welcomed cold front came in that afternoon. I think we set a record high.

My son hosted (I no longer have a DIL, which is why 2016 bit, my new normal which I hate), and he and I decided since the kids and the 4 adults will be opening and playing with presents, we'd do fried onion burgers and hotdogs. lol.

It was nice! DH made his famous french fries, and everyone just pigged out. I brought pretty Christmas paper plates, napkins, and cups, so clean up was a breeze.

We were like Lukk, didn't want to deal with prep and major clean-up, then exhaustion.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    7 years ago

I missed the first thread. My sister and her husband host Christmas Eve, so I had Christmas dinner here. It was a small group--10--compared to usual family dinners. My son had to work, so they will be here Thursday and Friday, but that will be an even smaller group. Both daughters were here to help get things ready for our usual family collaboration, served buffet style, with seating at folding tables. Fifteen minutes before the guests were due to arrive we looked at each other, and I said, "Wow, everything is ready, let's take a breather." Just then my niece and her husband pulled into the driveway.

Dinner was great, we shared out plenty of left-overs (I haven't cooked since Sunday), and my younger DD helped clean up, while my sisters and brothers-in-law put away the tables and chairs. My son-in-law had to work, so we had another Christmas celebration when he returned later in the evening. He, my DD, and their kids spent today at his family's house, for their celebration. It was so nice that they didn't have to run back and forth to hit all the parents, and grandparents, on the actual holiday, as my husband and I tried to do when our kids were small--until we decided it was too exhausting, for us, and for the kids. I enjoyed having a quiet afternoon to myself today.

I get to do dinner all over again on Jan. 1, which is also my sister's BDay.

• User
    7 years ago

It sounds like most of everyone had a very pleasant holiday. Roarah, I too commend you on hosting 50! It makes me a bit embarrassed to complain about my 4.

I know exactly what you're going through with the blood work check, it's a bi monthly routine for us. Fingers crossed it all goes well.

I think for me the burdens of my mother's passing are weighing heavy in my heart and I just wasn't into it this year. 2016 was not the easiest of years and I'm ready for a new chapter that hopefully 2017 will provide.

• kittymoonbeam
    7 years ago

Martha Scott, my friend has a 'cranberry' in the family. She wants special everything for her kids, all organic and hard to find at the last minute when she usually requests it. It has to be prepared a certain way, no butter, no salt and so forth. She herself will bring something small and inexpensive like canned mixed fruit salad with coconut flake or jello and it is usually enough for half the people. If she was having a hard time with finances, she could have brought appetizers or ice cream and I know my friend would not mind. After dinner she takes off without a thank you and my friend has had enough and does not wish to host anymore because of cranberry.

• 3katz4me
    7 years ago

Low key and low stress for us other than some weird family dynamics. Church at 4pm and one guest for dinner on Christmas Eve and went to siblings on Christmas Day. I brought a vegetable dish that somehow ended up being cold when served - forgot to reheat I guess. I would have tended to it but not welcome in the kitchen.

I think the sibling family would prefer to just have their immediate family as I feel less and less welcome every year. This year the sibling in law didn't even converse with us - just the kids and grandkids.

We did have a somewhat unexpected house guest which was a pleasant surprise. Friend of family needed a place to stay because relatives guest quarters were full. We had room and happy to be able to spend extra time together.

I'm thinking about going somewhere next year. I've always felt like Christmas should be spent at home but now that many of our family have passed and others might be relieved of feeling obligated to invite us it might be time for something different.

• monicakm_gw
    7 years ago

It's nice to know it's "not just me" who is ready to pass the baton to a younger generation. But I kinda feel wimpy (heck I AM wimpy). My dear MIL hosted holiday festivities till year she died. My mother did till a few years ago when she could no longer hold herself up in the kitchen. I don't think we're as tuff as our mothers and grandmothers!

We had Thanksgiving and Christmas (Eve) dinner at our daughter's new (built to look 100 yrs old) home. While mom and I sat eating our carrot cake, we decided that this Thanksgiving and Christmas were absolutely the best in as long as we could remember. I asked if she thought maybe it was because we didn't host. She said probably :) By design, her house is set up to host large gatherings so more power to her LOL The only downside to this Christmas was DH not being able to attend dinner/festivities on Christmas Eve due to a stomach virus...which I got later Christmas Eve night :( Last night I was on the way to the ER with what felt like my intestines being twisted into knots but stopped at mom's to see if she had something I could take. Yay for mom and a couple of gut relaxers!

• monicakm_gw
    7 years ago

Martha, I know it's not funny for you but that cranberry story was a hoot! Social/etiquette skills are surely a lost art to some.

• maggiepatty
    7 years ago

I like hearing about everyone's different arrangements for the holiday--doing a Christmas Eve meal or a brunch instead of the traditional dinner is a great idea that might break my cranky spell.

• nhbaskets
    7 years ago

My family gathers on Christmas Eve and it rotates between our home and one of my brothers. The other brother and SIL can't handle the stress of hosting and my sister lives 1.5 hours away. My turn this year and we were expecting 22. My sisters sons ex-fiancé didn't come. No idea how she was even considered invited.

We've been doing Italian, not because we are, but it's easy to prepare ahead. My SIL and I both make lasagna and others fill in with salad, bread, desserts and apps. DS offered to bring apps. I asked her what she was planning so I could supplement as needed. Glad I did as they showed up over an hour later than everyone else.

I can only fit 14 in my DR so the rest of us ate in the kitchen, which was fine by me. DS and her gang are always first through the buffet line then proceed to sit and drink (a lot). No help cleaning up. So thankful for my DH and one SIL.

• satine_gw
    7 years ago

I spent Christmas Eve with my middle daughter and her husband and 4 kids. They live about an hour from me so I spent the night. We went to church at 5:00 then home to a wonderful dinner. We had pasta, crab cakes,shrimp and mussels. Cookies and other sweets for dessert. The next day after all the presents were unwrapped and toys assembled I left for home then met up with them in the afternoon at my oldest daughter's home. We again exchanged gifts and visited for a bit. Then middle daughter and family left for in law's home for Christmas dinner and I stayed at oldest daughters home. She prepared a wonderful dinner of crab cake, asparagus, au grautin potatoes and prime rib. Yummy. I miss having guests at my home but realize that I just can't handle all the work plus I have a very small home and the daughters have large homes so it works well. Glad everyone had a good holiday.

• runninginplace
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oakley, I'm very sorry to hear your obliquely phrased news-I recall previous posts and that's all I will say since I don't want to impinge on your privacy, even online. But I am sure it's been a very difficult time for you. Hope 2017 is better!

• awm03
    7 years ago

I hosted Christmas Eve (7 adults, one toddler, one infant) and had a lot of fun doing so. Deep cleaning & decorating were done a week ago. All cookie & pie doughs were made on the 22nd & 'fridged. So the heavy lifting was over & done with. On the 23rd, I picked up a prime rib roast & did my baking -- two types of rolled cookies, one batch of drop cookies, and a huge pumpkin pie made in a 12" quiche dish. I adore pre-holiday baking and like to listen to classical holiday music while working in the kitchen. Such a beautiful time. Then I set the table & got out serving pieces in the evening. On the 24th, I placed the roast in a pan in a convection oven, peeled/boiled/mashed potatoes, made gravy, and fixed what turned out to be the surprise hit of the meal -- Brussels sprouts combined with baby carrots, microwaved & sprinkled with a touch of nutmeg. So easy! Baby carrots & Brussels sprouts are a good combo, and the hint of nutmeg sets off the flavors really well -- everybody kept asking why are the veggies so good, lol! So the meal wasn't anything complicated, just easy basics done well. Champagne, coffee, & desserts followed, and we had a grand time playing with our adorable grandbabies.

My gallant DIL hosted Christmas day, bless her heart, and did a fine job with delicious foods & a pretty table setting. She works part-time in health care and has been having 12- 14 hour shifts as flu & colds season sets in. Plus she has two little ones under the age of two, and she and my son have awful commutes -- an hour at least. So my hat's off to her for organizing our Christmas day so beautifully despite the stresses she's under. She is amazing, and we love her dearly.

I love to photograph my holiday settings. Sometimes I use the Friendly Village buffet plates, as shown here, sometimes a white Homer Laughlin earthenware set. Either are so festive this time of year :

I bought the Smith & Hawken cast aluminum patio chairs for $80 each when S&H went out of business. Back then, my wooden dining chairs were beyond repair, & I got the aluminum ones as temporary replacements. They're so practical (light, strong, roomy) that I've just never replaced them with proper dining room chairs yet. I have a black metal chandelier & black iron curtain rod to kind of tie them visually. A bit odd, decorating-wise, but they sure are comfy.

Oakley & lukkiirish, wishing you both peace and healing in 2017.

• mojomom
    7 years ago

This was a transitional Christmas for us. For the last 15 years we've spent every Christmas but one at our Ski House in CO with DD and SIL (they live here) and my Mother would fly out for the holiday. Mom would usually host a gumbo dinner (although in recent year's I've done most of the cooking) at her house a few weeks before Christmas for us my brother and his family. We sold the ski house this year and are in the middle of building a duplex with the kids, so we are in a rental this year. Mom no longer feels comfortable flying and has moved to senior living in the city (but keeping her small town home). I wanted Mom to have one more Christmas at her house of 63 years, but DD is 6 1/2 months pregnant with her first and works for the resort so can only get a day or so off over the holidays so she couldn't come 'home'.

So I hosted the gumbo dinner at Mom's house Christmas Eve and an early brunch Christmas morning. It was pretty easy since I could make the gumbo a few weeks earlier and freeze and I kept brunch simple with a breakfast casserole, cinnamon rolls, fruit and the family tradition milk punch. I had been afraid I was trying to force tradition, but it really worked out as a very nice, cozy family time and DD face timed us Christmas Eve. Mom really enjoyed it and told me how much she appreciated me for doing that for her. We took Mom back to her city place around noon because she had plans with extended family Christmas afternoon and DH, the dog and I headed out to CO on Christmas afternoon (thanks in large measure to my sister in law who stayed at Mom's house to clean up after brunch and shut down the house).

We arrived in CO about the time DD got home from the office yesterday. Son-in-law made a pot of delicious soup, and I surprised DD for the first time in years with a LV Never-full (I had told her no presents this year because I am buying them a custom dining table for the new house and we are having a design meeting tomorrow). She was so excited! I was so excited when I finally made it to the building site today! It's looking great! Hopefully we can celebrate Christmas there next year with our grandson and start some new traditions.

• badgergal
    7 years ago

My siblings and I take turns hosting Thanksgiving and Christmas Day. Whoever is not hosting always brings a side dish, appetizer or dessert. My DH and his only sibling also take turns hosting. This year I volunteered for Christmas.

This year's holiday entertaining actually started out with my grandaughter's 1st birthday party. I made all the decorations for her Winter Onederland theme party and almost all the food including the cake. Here are the mantle decorations I did.

Since both my son and son-in-law had to work on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, I had them, their spouses and my to grandchildren for Christmas lunch on Dec. 21.

On the 22nd, I had girlfriends over for brunch. Here is my brunch center piece.

On Christmas Eve, my DH's family including his 96 year old mother, came for dinner. There were 12 of us. The entrees included shrimp creole and ham.

Christmas Day I had 26 people at my house. We made another large batch of shrimp creole and a beef roast. For my big group, I set up dining in my basement "banquet hall". I have an area down there where I set up a buffet. Here are a couple pictures of part of the seating area.

I do not have a kitchen in my basement so there were lots of trips up and down the stairs. The health app on my phone said I did 42 flights of stairs that day and I didn't have my phone on me the entire time. I figure I burned up a lot of those calories I ate and drank by doing all those flights.

I have neighbors coming over for dessert and coffee Thursday. I always try to make a new fancy dessert. In the past I have made things like eggnog cheese cake and homemade red velvet cake. Last year I made this yummy trifle

This year I'm going to try making tiramisu. Wish me luck.

My DH is a big help with all this entertaining but sometimes I wonder how I manage to pull it off while being be the full time daycare nanny for my two young granddaughters.

All this entertaining is fun, but I think it's time for a "long winter's nap" for me.