Brand recommendations for instant-read thermometers?
9 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (14)
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
Related Discussions
Instant read thermometer?
Comments (3)Ok, I found it. I did calibrate it but then it wasn't reading the temperature of the room correctly. I'm waiting for my steak to be done to see if it works. It took so long to read that I wasn't expecting it to get so hot that when I took it out of the steak, I got burnt... Anyways... My steak was rare but it read it at 152. The thing that came with it said that 145 is medium rare. It stuck at 120 for a while when it was reading. My conclusion is that I need to get yet another thermometer to try....See MoreRecommend good instant read thermometer
Comments (20)Okay Carol and others, I checked the website for the Thermopen thermometers and they also have one that is probably in line for what I would use it for and I think it's about $17 or so. I think I'll forego the King Arthur's and opt for it. I don't think of an instant read as a meat thermometer but one for many uses. If I did as much as some of you do with preserving, putting up or whatever you choose to call it, I would get the "Daddy of them all" in a heartbeat. Jude...See MoreWhat instant-read thermometer do you use?
Comments (6)For instant-reads: After lousy experience with both Polder (only in that it wasn't waterproof as advertised) and Taylor (which takes forrrrevvverrrr to get a reading) I decided my cheapo Progressive dial type is just fine. I've been tempted by the Thermopen since Cook's Illustrated swears by one of the models, but I just can't find fault in my Progressive. For roasts, however, I prefer a leave-in-the-oven thermometer, and I'm quite satisfied with my Williams Sonoma one (rebranded Maverick I believe) in that it tells temp well, but the extra bells and whistles are useless. For example the presets - 180 deg for poultry? In my neck of the woods chicken is done (and still moist) long before that. And to be told the roast will be done in 15 minutes - 45 minutes - 10 minutes - 25 minutes doesn't do me much good, either....See MoreInstant Read Thermometer
Comments (17)I have both a thermapen and a thermopop (and the DOT which makes me a tremendous nerd). I love them both. That said, I'd say that the thermopop is the best value unless you're a super-nerd like myself. The main functional differences: The thermapen comes to temperature in 3 seconds and is then essentially continuous. The thermopop takes up to 5 seconds to and then is essentially continuous. I don't find the 2 second difference to be substantive and they are both basically continuous after those first seconds. Understand that once they reach temperature they are both essentially continuous. It's only the initial rise to temperature where one can see the 2 second difference. Once at temp they are equally fast. The second difference is that the thermapen is guaranteed to be accurate within 7/10 of a degree (if I remember correctly) while the thermopop is guaranteed to be accurate within 2 degrees (again in memory serves correctly). I find that 2 degrees of accuracy is more than enough for almost any home application. Plus, the thermapen reads more quickly when set to single degree accuracy instead of 1/10 and so most folks don't even use it in the 1/10 degree mode. More importantly, I find that the difference is only in the guarantee and not in actual performance. I have compared the two often and always found them to give identical readings. In fact, all three products have always given me identical readings. In other words, the company won't promise that the thermopop is as accurate at the thermapen but in reality it performs as accurately. Long way of saying that at $29 ( and occasionally $21) the thermopop is an amazing value. I started using it at work and no fewer than 10 of my fellow firefighters have been inspired to buy one (thermowords should be paying me a commission). Unless you're into molecular gastronomy and like to nerd out on stuff, go with the thermopop. BTW you're going to wonder why you wasted so much time on the old fashioned (non) instant reads. That said, if cost is no issue, then go with the thermapen. I love mine....See More- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
Related Stories

BATHROOM DESIGNDreaming of a Spa Tub at Home? Read This Pro Advice First
Before you float away on visions of jets and bubbles and the steamiest water around, consider these very real spa tub issues
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESWhy Marble Might Be Wrong for Your Bathroom
You love its beauty and instant high-quality appeal, but bathroom marble has its drawbacks. Here's what to know before you buy
Full Story
GREAT HOME PROJECTSHow to Add Toe Kick Drawers for More Storage
Great project: Install low-lying drawers in your kitchen or bath to hold step stools, pet bowls, linens and more
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESTexas Gardener: What to Do in June
Don't be discouraged by the dry summer heat — hardy plants, container gardens and smart watering can help landscapes thrive
Full Story0

GREAT HOME PROJECTSUpgrade Your Windows for Beauty, Comfort and Big Energy Savings
Bid drafts or stuffiness farewell and say hello to lower utility bills with new, energy-efficient windows
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNDisplaying Kitchen Supplies — Hot or Not?
Do some kitchens just beg for a cozy row of canisters and gear for all to see? Have a look and let us know what you think
Full Story
MOST POPULAR11 Reasons to Paint Your Interior Doors Black
Brush on some ebony paint and turn a dull doorway into a model of drop-dead sophistication
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESHere's How to Steer Clear of 10 Top Design Don'ts
Get interiors that look professionally styled even if you're taking the DIY route, by avoiding these common mistakes
Full Story
KITCHEN COUNTERTOPS7 Low-Maintenance Countertops for Your Dream Kitchen
Fingerprints, stains, resealing requirements ... who needs ’em? These countertop materials look great with little effort
Full Story
LIGHTINGTurn Up the Party Heat — the Sultry Decorating Secret
Give your home a warm and romantic vibe with candles at the entry, lined up along a wall, floating in martini glasses and more
Full Story
fawnridge (Ricky)