SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Brand recommendations for instant-read thermometers?

Happy Boxing Day!

I had great need of an instant-read thermometer yesterday, when the leave in-thermometer registered 130 for our beef roast and yet the meat when cut turned out to be almost raw, even though it had had the estimated time in the oven. We ended up having to put the half-sliced roast back in, even though all the other side dishes were ready.

I don’t know whether to blame the placement of the thermometer or the oven: I’d guess maybe both.

We are still trying to figure out our new double oven range. We have not yet calibrated it. It arrived a week before Thanksgiving: we’ve just been too busy. I’d say both ovens are low, except results are mostly just very inconsistent. Cookies baked in 20 minutes, vs 8 minutes, for example; when 10 minutes for a particular recipe was usual in my old double oven. (Maybe it can cycle between grossly low and normal?)

I knew I had an instant-read thermometer in the drawer but had never used it. But when I decided I needed it, because the roast seemed barely warm on the outside, 5 people with Master’s degrees (2 technical) could not figure out how to open the battery compartment to replace the battery. Useless.

Ironically, I’d given one to my son for Christmas, along with a lot of grilling paraphernalia. But my husband nixed the idea of asking him to open his gift early ;)

So I would appreciate recommendations on reliable brands. I’d looked them up on Amazon before ordering the one for my son. But even looking at the highest rated ones, a lot of the bad reviews were really bad.

Points for using a small standard battery like an AAA rather than a button battery. Because it will not be used often, and when I need it and find the battery is dead, the odds of having a live spare button battery in the house are unlikely. But I suppose that few if any use an AAA.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Comments (14)