SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mayflowers1

Quick Breads/Tea Loaves

mayflowers
7 years ago

I've decided to make these breads my specialty because they're just the right size for the two of us and they are fool-proof. Last week I made a banana bread and added chopped Ghiradelli semi-sweet chocolate and it was very good. I want to add a plain chocolate chip loaf to my repertoire and have found two recipes. They are almost identical. Please help me decide which is the better recipe.

Chocolate Chip Bread

2 c. flour

1 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. salt

8 tbsp. butter

1 c. sugar

1 c. milk

1 egg

1 tsp. vanilla

1 c. chopped chocolate

The other recipe differs in that it calls for 1/2 tsp. each of baking powder and soda, 6 tbsp. of butter, 2/3 c. of sugar, 1 c. of buttermilk, and 3 eggs. The instructions are the same. I've never put three eggs in a loaf cake so I hesitate to make that one, but it calls for buttermilk, which I know makes a moist cake. I have buttermilk and prefer to use it, so can I just substitute buttermilk in the above recipe? The leavening is different and I'm not sure if that matters.

I make pumpkin bread, cranberry orange bread, and lemon bread. I'm hoping to come up with some different recipes than those. Do you have any recipes to share?

Comments (13)