SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chrholme

Antique Clock Identification Help

chrholme
7 years ago

I have a wooden wall clock that I believe to be 1. old and 2. have been in Germany at some point. It came with a German clock (repair) shop receipt, if I translated it correctly, but rather than that I know nothing about it. Can you help 1. identify a manufacturer and 2. identify the age please? I have not found any marks but I also do not know my way around clocks very well.

Comments (16)

• chrholme
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• lazy_gardens
    7 years ago

I think it's not German, it's Dutch.

And unless you take the works out and find a maker's mark, it's a clock from 1880-1920

chrholme thanked lazy_gardens
  • chrholme
    Original Author
    7 years ago

You are correct about the receipt being Dutch- I was able to track down the store ( http://moensonline.be/index.php?option=com_contact&view=contact&id=2&Itemid=30) and have written to them in my search for information on this clock. Thank you!!! (Although when I translated the writing on the back, it still didn't make a lot of sense to me!)

May I ask how you came to your time era conclusion? What detail about the clock gave you that impression? Maybe I can use that detail to continue my researching...

• jemdandy
    7 years ago

I'd call this a wall clock. There is a tab on the back for hanging on a wall, and the base does not appear to be designed to sit on a shelf. Its spring driven and has no complications. Other than the clock drive, its has a striker and gong. There's no indication how often it strikes; The usual is a single strike at the half hour and the hour strike.

There is no indication on the face about the maker, although the face and hands are in excellent condition. The numeral font seems modern. I see no wear marks on the face around the key holes. There are no pick or scratch marks. It is pristine. Either this clock has had little use, was wound with great care, or was repaired with a new face.

It was common for a clock maker to build his own case and install the works from a factory. There should be a label inside and on the back of he case. This label can be a great help in dating a clock. If there is no label, it could be a no-name clock or has lost its label. This label is part of its antique value.

The wood appears to be mahogany, a wood that was often used for weight driven clocks of the 1830s and later.

I can't be sure if that is the upper end of the pendulum that I see. (Its detached from the works as it should be for handling.) That piece with a metal cap may be a wood pendulum. Wood pendulums were used in the 1800s and surprisingly, were as accurate as metal ones. Wood does swell with moisture change but does not change length; it changes size in the cross grain direction. Metal pendulums change length with temperature. Its enough to cause a steel pendulum clock to change timing of about 1 to 2 minutes per month from winter to summer even when inside a house. Brass expands more than steel. More expensive clocks may have a temperature compensated pendulum. A wood pendulum helps to date a clock, although most wood workers can duplicate the wood works of an old clock.

For pendulum clocks, the pendulum or at least the pendulum weight should ne removed from the supporting clockworks before moving the clock about. The delicate pendulum support can be easily damaged. Small movements of adjusting a clock's position on a shelf can be tolerated.

With the clock hanging vertical on a wall, the timing of its tick-tock should be equal. That can be changed by moving the bottom of the clock to left or right of center. Move the clock back and forth until the tick-tock sound is ecenly spaced. If the escapement is not equally oriented, the clock will stop before the spring is fully run down. If you find that the clock is not vertical when the tick-tock sounds are equally spaced, then a trip to the clock repair shop is needed.

The design and wood case could be 100 yrs old, but the clock face and bezel appears newer, because it is in excellent shape.

I''m guessing its an 8 day clock.

chrholme thanked jemdandy
  • chrholme
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes this is a wall clock- I hung it in our new home today The pendulum is a mix of wood and metal- what does that mean? (Age wise or originality wise?) when I took the guts of the clock out I found this mark (two elephants on a clock like circus elephants). Also in that same picture, although very hard to make out, there is a number that has been engraved. Could this be important? If so, I will have to find a magnifying glass to decipher it. Also, the face is in good shape- but not perfect here is a close up! Thank you to all who have commented and keep any thoughts coming!!

• jemdandy
    7 years ago

Here is a wall clock made by Jahersuhrenfabrik ca 1930. Its not the same as your clock, but shares similar features. It has been overhauled and priced at 285 English pounds. The case is oak. The back plate (of the movement) has a trademark of two elephants leaning on a clock. That trademark was registered on 22 Jun 1900. That company did use other trademarks, such as a J within a diamond shaped parallelogram, registered at other times and applied to other products.

From what I have found, Jahersuhrenfabrik is more noted for its production of 400 day anniversary clocks having rotary (torsion) pendulums.

http://www.priceninja.com/inc/oak-cased-8-day-time--strike-wall-clock-c1930-by-jahresuhrenfabrik-germany-5044678-p.asp

• chrholme thanked jemdandy
  • jemdandy
    7 years ago

This clock case shares some design elements with your clock case.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/spacemanspiff27/sets/72157621662034475/

• chrholme
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you!! Those clocks look very similar to mine and all of the information you provided gave me insight into mine!! I really appreciate you taking the time to research!!! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you all!!!

• jemdandy
    7 years ago

It has a brass frame movement. Those little chamfers in the frame around the holes for the mechanism shafts are oil retention details. To lubricate, a small amount of oil is introduced the chamfer and surface tension does the rest. The oil will lub the shaft pivot. Surface tension keeps the oil from running out on the face of the plate. Only a drop or so is needed. Adding too much oil merely floods the parts causing excess oil to break tension and run out on the face of the plate. Only special, non-gumming clock oil should be used. The lube will be there for a long period and most ordinary general purpose oils will oxidize, attract dirt, and become gummy.

One sign of a repair/rebuild is the presence of new bushngs in the shaft holes. Most wear occurs at on shafts at the end of the time chain of gears. The last gear in either gear train is the one that rotates the most. When the holes become worn open, those need repairing; These are repaired by straightening and polishing the shafts, selecting a bushing that fits the polished shaft, and the hole in the frame enlarged to accept a light press fit of the bushing. Presence of the repair bushings indicates that the mechanism has been refurbished. This should not detract from its value, but may add if the job is well done, for it can add many more years of use. New bushings on a clock of that style may add another 50 years to its life.

• Gargamel
    7 years ago

The little receipt thing is probably a repair ticket. It's in Dutch. It says that the person who took it in must pick it up within 3 months and that the shop is not responsible if the ticket is lost. The hand written paper says that if the clock is running slow (something?) has to go upwards and if it's running fast then the (something) has to go downwards

chrholme thanked Gargamel
  • Gargamel
    7 years ago

I see that the shop is in Belgium (so I guess the Belgians would say it is written in Flemish, and the Dutch would say it is written in Dutch).

• chrholme
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I have actually written an email to the shop, but didn't get a response.

• Gargamel
    7 years ago

If they reply in Dutch (I imagine it will be in English though) I can translate it for you if you want

• HU-773938673
    last year

Merkenstempels – KlokkenDokter. This is a Belgian site to estimate clocks and their makers. Methought that the elephant mark on the clockwork kan be found on this site, as far my memory does not go out of my head. I presumer it is German. Clockmaker F. Mauthe Schwenningen has made clocks as this one too. This type of potbelly clocks (because of the door shape) are very rare. I have one too. I would advise you to look there. Probably I made you happy today...

Wim.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County