SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cpartist

Have we become slaves to kitchen fashion?

cpartist
7 years ago

Please don't take this the wrong way, but the majority of the kitchens we see on this site, are white or light gray shaker doors, with a white or off white quartz or stone countertop and a pretty but safe backsplash.

Yes every once in a while we get a MCM slab door kitchen with an interesting tile or backsplash, or someone gets bold and does something slightly out of the ordinary, but overall, it seems like similar looks over and over.

And yes, I'm guilty too, although those who know me, know I wanted a shaker kitchen cabinet 30 years ago when folks were doing those plastic cabinets with the wood edge. Personally, I'm hoping mine will be different enough because of my quartzite but in reality, I know it too will be very much what is being shown nowadays even down to the white perimeter cabinets, white farmhouse sink and the dark island. Only my quartzite will be different than the "norm". And yes, maybe it's what I need to do to fit the look of my craftsman to be house?

So why and what makes us all gravitate to the same looks? How can we switch it up some? What are you doing for your kitchen to make yours unique and original to you?

Comments (103)

• liz_h
    7 years ago

Go with the look you like. We did that with our house 10 years ago. It wasn't the "in" style, but not a dated look either. We still like it. I think that if your kitchen and family room coordinate well together it will still have your personal touch. It doesn't sound like you'll be picking colors that scream 2017, though there are some pretty greens out right now. - I've found it can be hard to find a particular color in household goods if it's NOT in style. :(

Do you want the bright white, or just a very light color? A pale cream would look nice with your colors.

cpartist thanked liz_h
  • lakeerieamber
    7 years ago

When we started our build, I wanted stained cabinets. Then I started to realize with stained interior Windows, stained trim and doors, and a butcher block island, we already would have a whole lot of wood going on (which is all pretty off trend for this area - most new builds around here are white trim, white cabinets, white vinyl Windows, never butcher block). I was worried that it was going to be too much stained and too dark so we switched to painted cabinets. I really hope I don't regret the decision.

cpartist thanked lakeerieamber
  • Related Discussions

How to become a a horticulturist with a BFA in fashion design??

Q

Comments (19)
    I tend to agree with laag on this one......this is a profession that draws a wide range of individuals and with very few exceptions, most of the folks I know that are currently earning their living in horticulture pursued their undergraduate studies in another field or entered it as a second career. So yes, it is certainly possible to make a transition from fashion design to horticulture or landscape design. But not necessarily easy :-) You have an immediate advantage over Joe Blow having had training and graduated in a design field - the basis is there. However, like any other profession, there are technical aspects of the business that must be learned, either through OTJ training or by additional formal education. You've already received some good suggestions on how to obtain this needed feature. There is much to be said for entering a profession that is more in the way of a passion rather than *just* a career. It is very satisfying to go to work each day and do something you love and to be able to create things that others, as well as yourself, find meaningful and appealling, but in accepting that philosophy one often gives up some other quality and in this case it is income that tends to be on the losing end of things. If you can accept that your rewards in entering this profession are likely to be something other than monetary and it still appeals, then by all means, go ahead and make the switch. There are many aspects to the field of horticulture besides just design and some of them are more lucrative than others. But those on the upper end of the income level will require specific training. You can decide how much more time and money you wish to invest before making the leap, but it is certainly advised to investigate exactly what you want to do and where and then talk to those in the field there before making a final decision. None of these comments are made to discourage you, only to enlighten you that success in this profession is not nearly so easy as it may appear on the surface and as with any other profession, takes dedication, hard work and dealing with the competition that exists in any creative endeavor. Good luck!
    ...See More

Anyone with an old fashioned "unfit" kitchen?

Q

Comments (24)
    @hlove - you did a great job on your kitchen. It took a minute for me to realize you moved your ceiling up so much. It was hard to reference with the upper cabinets missing. We were originally going to do that here, however, that would mean we would to have to build yet another addition elsewhere to add a bedroom, so we decided to live with 7' ceilings. @Maine_Mare - your cabinets fit in very nicely! Your contractor did a wonderful job. They look like they fit perfectly in the house. I am so glad that others have to deal with 7' ceilings also. Most people enter my house and wonder why we haven't tore it down. Of course that was before the renovation started, so I am hoping to make a ton of converts. We have decided to go for the recessed lighting, I am with you and not a huge fan, but I like a lot of light in my kitchen and there was no other way I could get it where I needed it and for years we banged our head on another light in that kitchen and decided no more. We found some really nice options for trim for the recessed and hubby has some other ideas if we don't like that once it is up, so we will see. I absolutely am in LOVE with your sink though!!! I so wish I had enough space for that. Where did you get that? Do they have smaller versions?
    ...See More

Have you become more minimalist over time?

Q

Comments (129)
    I am getting rid of lots of stuff as I move. I am even sending some potentially valuable things to my brother, since he has offspring and I do not. (My mother potentially risked her life getting presidential signatures at the Kentucky Derby one day in the early 70s. She gave them to me in the 80's. I found them, and shipped them off to my brother.) I'm probably not great at downsizing, but any downsizing and minimalizing I can do... the better. I'm 64, and I have no kids. I'd like my brother to decide which, if either, of his kids would appreciate some of these things. As for other things... the guy who I hired to help me load up a Budget van's worth of stuff to move... he got my parents' dining room furniture set just gratis, because he indicated his mother could use it. Way to far to ship from CT to Florida or Illinois in any other case, anyway. And way too formal for my own new home.
    ...See More

Kitchen cabs and wood floor have become ONE!!

Q

Comments (15)
    Thanks, I'll give it some more time! We have a graduation in May that I was looking towards as a "Done by" date, maybe I'll give that up. I'll definitely consider runners. We have two dogs so they may not stay put though. I decided against going any lighter on the floor stain because I thought it would be too modern for everything else that is traditional in the house. But in hindsight, that's what I wish I would have done. I also should have done a better job testing stain color ahead of time so I wouldn't have felt pressured to make a quick decision. I have a similar problem with the stairs matching the floor exactly and the bottom step totally blends in with the floor. That's a big safety issue I need to fix. I'll post that in a bit. Any other thoughts out ther?
    ...See More
  • Dorothy Pohorelow
    7 years ago

New ready finished cabinets are out of our price range. Clearance unfinished cabinets weren't so that is what we got. We also have to make a couple of things that were not available like a sink front... we are painting the cabinets ourselves so the separate wood types will not be so noticeable and are currently planning on burgundy base cabinets and soft creamy gold wall cabinets. AND yes our very functional new layout is compliments of Houzz and GW.

cpartist thanked Dorothy Pohorelow
  • 3katz4me
    7 years ago

Never been one to follow the herd so I can't relate to this. My taste leans toward classic, simple design and I get what I like without regard for the latest trends. It's been about 10 years since we redid our kitchen. At that time I chose very dark quarter sawn oak shaker cabinets, none of which were the most popular thing at the time. Also had mostly simple Corian with a couple areas of juparana Bordeaux granite - Corian also terribly out of favor at the time. I chose what I liked and what blended in seamlessly with the rest of my 40 year old house. The good news is that when I went to sell my house my kitchen wasn't dated because it didn't tie back to any previous trend.

I recently moved to a different place with gasp - honey oak cabinets. They're high quality, in good condition and a simple raised panel style that I like. I'm somewhat of a nonconformist so part of me also likes them because I rarely see oak cabinets any more.

I'm not one to move in and tear out perfectly good stuff because it's out of style. If I like it and it's in good condition it stays. It's kind of funny because a number of things in our last house were very dated when we moved in but by the time we moved out they were back in style.

I would think if you're really into having trendy things you could be constantly disappointed or constantly buying new stuff.

cpartist thanked 3katz4me
  • Wendy
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Jhmarie, I couldn't even tell you what style I'm going for. The house itself, I know I want a warm cozy cottage feeling, ever so slightly rustic, but still open and airy. Something that feels good in the dead of winter and in the hot days of summer.

My décor choices tend to be a little more eclectic? I love so many different styles, trying to incorporate them can be difficult. English roll arm sofas, French gold gilt mirrors and frames, Bohemian fabrics, old chippy tables, and even MCM. But, how do you mix all that and still keep it quiet and calming, almost Zen-like? And, do it with style, where it actually works? I don't know, but I'm trying.

cpartist thanked Wendy
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    7 years ago

jhmarie, I love that kitchen. Not sure I'd want to work in it at my age, but when I was younger, I would have loved it.

lakeerie, I originally wanted shaker stained quarter sawn oak cabinets but felt like you they'd be too dark for the space.

Dorothy, please absolutely share when you've finished your kitchen.

I'm not one to move in and tear out perfectly good stuff because it's out of style. If I like it and it's in good condition it stays. It's kind of funny because a number of things in our last house were very dated when we moved in but by the time we moved out they were back in style.

When my Mom moved into her house in 1983, they had raised panel oak cabinets in a light stain. My mother redid the whole kitchen layout but saved every cabinet and reused them in her new kitchen. She had them restained a dark brown and when the house was sold in 2015, the only things that looked dated in the kitchen were the tile countertops and the beige refrigerator. Yes technically the cabinets with the arched raised panels in the oak were dated, but somehow the way she pulled it all together made it look classic in her house.

• Lisa
    7 years ago

I love my new kitchen because it is so functional. I spent most of time designing the kitchen worrying about how things would work, and now it is a joy to work in.

The way it looks is nice to me, but it is not anything special. Yes, it is a white shaker kitchen. :-) I would have loved to have used walnut and go for a more MCM look, but trying to make it work with our existing floors would have been difficult, so we let that dictate our choices. I've liked Shaker cabinets for over 20 years and I don't think that will ever change.

I've seen pictures of your granite cpartist, and with that in your kitchen it is going to be special and unique no matter what.

cpartist thanked Lisa
  • DLM2000-GW
    7 years ago

cp - no time to read all the previous comments although I'm sure there are interesting thoughts on this topic. Have we become slaves? My answer would be in a word - yes. But qualifying that to those people who care about home fashion as obviously people on this forum do.

My MIL has 're-done' her kitchen 2 times since I've been married. Layout did not change. Cabinets went from stained to painted, counters changed from laminate to solid surface, wall color and wallpaper has changed, kitchen chairs have been reupholstered with a different color vinyl, she has the same sink and faucet from when the house was built in the 50's. She's gone thru two wall ovens, one wall microwave, one gas cooktop and 3 dishwashers but each has to fit in the existing space. It would never occur to her to look at a magazine for ideas let alone the internet.

So for those of us who do look to other sources for information/inspiration I believe it's a slippery slope. I detested gray in home decor when I first saw it in the early 90s but continued exposure to anything has a way of making things not only less objectionable but normal, appropriate and sometimes even desirable. Take that analogy where you choose!

What am I doing to make mine unique? Well, for starters I ignored almost all of the layout suggestion I got here though all were well intentioned!! Part of that is knowing how I use a kitchen after all these years and it seems I'm not the 'norm'. Part of that is being willing to walk a few steps for a kitchen element that I was not willing to give up. It's my kitchen, it will work for me and the next person in this house can work with it or change it! My design aesthetic combines my need for a combination of crisp, tidy and physically inviting with something personal, quirky, just a little out of the expected. Some things I'm willing to close my eyes on price when it's what I want but I have a cheap streak a mile wide in other areas.

cpartist thanked DLM2000-GW
  • donna_loomis
    7 years ago

Who cares if we do what everyone else is doing or if we think we are creating a unique (trust me, it's probably been done before) kitchen? If it makes us happy, that's really all that matters.

cpartist thanked donna_loomis
  • User
    7 years ago

I grew up with a white slab door kitchen in the 60s, and ever since all the kitchens I've had were white, or at least, we'd paint them white shortly after moving in. I've never liked the all white look, so to make the white cabs pop, we would replace the existing counters with medium light grey laminate, add chrome handles, and I'd paint the walls a contrasting color, typically a light grey-ish blue.

We've lived in our current house for more than 20 years. During the years when dark espresso and faux tuscan style kitchens were all the rage, all tile seemed to come in shades of brown and taupe, ugh..., I just had no wish to remodel. My existing 80s white laminate cabinets looked a thousand times better to me than what people put in during the 90s. I can't stand dark kitchens, and the only brown I like around the house are the wood floors :-).

We're finally ready to remodel, and will be ripping out those white laminate cabs and replacing them with... you guessed it, a white kitchen and grey counters. As for color, I like color a lot, but prefer it on items that can be easily changed out: art, wall paint, accessories, etc.

As for door styles, while I do like the look of shaker doors or inset fronts, my preferred kitchens have european slab fronts, which also happen to fit the age and style of our 60s house.

cpartist thanked User
  • sheloveslayouts
    7 years ago

Just another .02 here. I do think that this age of pinterest and blogs and instagram and youtube channels and even HGTV has made some of us slaves compared to the pre-social media world.

I recall pouring over better homes and gardens (when there was just one version of BHG) and specialty UK home magazines with pleasure when I bought my first home in 2001. There were definite trends, but my memory is telling me there was more variety within those trends 15 years ago and the trends also spread slowly since we were more influenced by what our neighbors/friends were doing and what was in the local stores than by perfect social media photography.

I'm excited to see where kitchens go from white shaker cabs, subway backsplash, black or white stone tops, stainless steel, etc. I love seeing cabinets in beautiful colors and I hope that takes off, but I appreciate that especially post-recession people want to play it safe with their finishes.

cpartist thanked sheloveslayouts
  • User
    7 years ago

eam44 - ah, the shoulder pads of the 80s. I never wore them, as they made me look like a tank..., I remember every top, even some t-shirts, came with them, so, I'd get a new garment home, and would immediately remove the pads. They reminded me of fish scales, so eventually, when I had accumulated a ton of them, mostly in the jewel colors of the times, I sowed both my kids soft toy/pillow fishes, covered in flappy scales made of shoulder pads. One was all teals, blues, emerald greens and limey yellows, the other was reds, purples, pinks and orange tones. Both kids loved those funky fishes for many years. Best use of shoulder pads I could think of...

cpartist thanked User
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Please realize that while I've asked the question and used myself as an example, I did so to generate commentary and not to have reassurance on my kitchen. Although I certainly appreciate it. :)

Some things I'm willing to close my eyes on price when it's what I want but I have a cheap streak a mile wide in other areas.

I'm the same way DLM. My granite was ridiculously expensive. However my backsplash tile is not and I've lowered the cost of my cabinets by going with a mid priced brand.

As for door styles, while I do like the look of shaker doors or inset fronts, my preferred kitchens have european slab fronts, which also happen to fit the age and style of our 60s house.

Ok so you're creating a kitchen that works with your style of house. I'm doing the same with my style of house.

So the question is, how do you feel when a kitchen looks out of place with the style of house but is the latest and greatest according to design gurus. I'm thinking of those gorgeous old homes for example where HGTV comes in and takes out all the charm to make them what today's millennials think they want.

• Wendy
    7 years ago

There was a kitchen posted here recently that I loved the original to the home cabinets. I was scared to scroll down to see what they had done. Thankfully, they paid tribute to the home and did a stellar job.

There are times it is heartbreaking to see kitchens remodeled, the life and history get sucked right out of them.

My home had no history, no charm, no heart, nothing. So, I didn't have to worry abut sucking anything out of it.

ETA...but when they remodel not to style or time period, it isn't my home, so I try not to judge.

cpartist thanked Wendy
  • User
    7 years ago

"So the question is, how do you feel when a kitchen looks out of place with the style of house but is the latest and greatest according to design gurus. I'm thinking of those gorgeous old homes for example where HGTV comes in and takes out all the charm to make them what today's millennials think they want."

I've seen houses in Europe that are hundreds of years old, that have very modern, minimalist kitchens and baths that work phenomenally well. Oftentimes, elements of the old rooms were left and integrated into the new. I think it's all about doing it with sensitivity and giving every detail a lot of thought.

On the other hand, I've seen plenty of victorian houses with french country kitchens, mcm homes with fake rustic-tuscan style kitchens, colonials with 80s almond laminate/wood kitchens, from when these styles were trendy. All of these seem always terribly out of place to me. Thing is, I think that tuscan style kitchens look out of place anywhere but in in old farmhouses in Tuscany, and french country is best left to french country houses in small town France. It seems to me that some styles are better left to their places of origin. As to the almond slab/wooden handle kitchens from the 80s, they just were ugly, even then...

cpartist thanked User
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

I've seen houses that had bathrooms and kitchens which looked as if the pieces of two jigsaw puzzles got mixed together. Thirteen years ago, the local tile store, seemed to think KY had somehow become part of the Southwest. All these brown adobe-looking tiles! Perfect in the hacienda only we don't have any of those. With much effort, I found some off-white crackle glaze subway tiles for my kitchen.

A few years later. I partly redid my bathroom. This is a 1948 house and the 1st floor main bathroom has small square black & white tiles and the walls are white tiles with black trim. They're perfect and I would never change them. But the 2nd flr bath that is now the Master a Bath was done in the early 70's and the previous owner went with very cheap looking tiles - at least the were plain. It had a tub/shower combination but during the 2nd floor remodeling, we wanted to add a separate shower. We ran out of money and steam (usually happens at the same time), and the contractor talked us into a fiberglass shower surround. Gawd, I hated it and hated it more every year as it was cheap and common looking and not in keeping with the rest of the house. Now it was time to change it. Amazingly, this bath had a vanity with honed Carrera marble that I quite liked. So I thought I would use that for around the tub and for the shower and the floor. Then I learned about the upkeep and I knew my help would destroy marble. So I found an Italian porcelain tile that looked like honed Carrera and used that. It looks perfect in this old house as it is neutral and classic. The only thing " today" is the frameless, clear glass door on the shower. I also used polished nickel as that is appropriate for the era of the house.

I love looking at houses for sale in cities I've lived in and I'm stunned more often that not, at what is done to kitchens and baths in these houses, many of which are pre-war. A couple of years ago, a beautiful old 3 story mansion, built at the time if the St Louis World 's Fair, was for sale. They had removed what I'm sure was a fabulous butler's pantry (cabinets in these in this era were often mahogany as were the counters), combined it with a cook's kitchen and filled it with bright red lacquered European cabinets. Expensive? Yes, but totally inappropriate, and utterly hideous. Wonder how long it took to sell that house.

I'm not suggesting that a 100+ yr old house must be done as if it were a museum, with everything as it was. But if wonderful old cabinets (they were usually in the butler's pantry) can be saved, save them. I think the UK company, Plain English, does this very well. They even seem to know how to put a very contemporary kitchen in an ancient house and make it work.

The houses in my neighborhood were built in the late 30's and the rest after the war, in the late 40's. All are traditional - no MCM here. They have nice millwork, lovely traditional mantels, and there are separate rooms for living, dining and cooking. They are not large hones - most originally had 2000-2500 sqr ft. Many have been added on to, most nicely done, usually a family room.

Most people buying them are respectful of the house, but a few have started knocking out walls, and then putting humongous black leather sectionals with built- in recliners in living rooms which were built for 72" sofas. I don't understand why they didn't just buy a house that suited that look and scale of furniture.

Mixing periods of houses and interior design takes a very trained eye, and lots of experience. Most people have neither.

cpartist thanked Anglophilia
  • dainaadele
    7 years ago

It is not so much as becoming a slave, as natural selection as applied to the forum? Since most of the posts gravitate towards a certain style, that is what attracts a certain group. further perpetuating the style?. I would hazard a guess that out there are other places that have a different cache of posters. Be it on a different style or venue.

Here is a thought: A forum set up as it is here is kind of old-fashioned, probably automatically exempting many 20-somethings? Hmmm?

Or maybe that is exactly why houzz wanted to buy Gardenweb? It gave them closer access to a group of people who were financially sound and in a position to spend money?

Those of us that may march to a different drummer, still somehow have some things in common with the "average poster" here, which is why we still check in here periodically, even if we do not go with tile floors, shaker cabs or a distinctive backslash...

Just tossing out some other ideas, because we know that the "GardenWeb Kitchen" would seem to refer to a distinct style that is not universal in every home in the US. - - tongue in cheek, of course ;-P

cpartist thanked dainaadele
  • handmethathammer
    7 years ago

I remember cutting shoulder pads out of my clothes in the 80s. I didn't like them either, and I couldn't find a pair of stirrup pants that fit my long legs.

I love the look of painted wood, but I have never had it in a house that I own. We do a lot of Parade of Homes and noticed cabinets painted other colors a few years ago, but it didn't seem to take off. I do like the look very much, but Mr. Hammer won't let me paint our lighter stained maple cabinets.

Honestly, what I find more motivating than seeing the pretty white kitchens is hearing the stained wood that is dominant in my house being called "orange."

I had honey oak in my last house. I didn't realize until we moved that it was so unliked now.

I think this is so pretty, although I wouldn't go as far as painting the entry door to match.

Sage Green Country Cottage Kitchen with Farmhouse Sink · More Info

• just_janni
    7 years ago

I HOPE I am not a slave to fashion. I am not liking the quartz trend, as I am not used to using trivets for hot pans (and yes, I know that you are not "supposed" to put hot pans on granite, but I still feel like if something was made by heat and intense pressure it ought to stand up to an All-Clad pot)

I will have a "two tone" kitchen, but it will be slab front and pretty much a black and white look with the black having the woodgrain show through. And then finding a really crazy movement granite or quartzite. Like jewelry for my cabinets. I have no idea if it's "in" - and I am pretty sure my house isn't "in" either - but it's working for me, and hopefully put together in a cohesive manner to make it special.

And I am using IKEA cabinets mostly because if I want to change the look later, I should be able to do it in a weekend with a door replacement project (and some trim pieces, etc.)

cpartist thanked just_janni
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    7 years ago

ETA...but when they remodel not to style or time period, it isn't my home, so I try not to judge.

I can't claim to be so nice about it because I'm such an old house lover. We looked for 2 years to find a craftsman house here in FL that hadn't been "updated". We couldn't find anything decent which is why we're building a new one.

As to the almond slab/wooden handle kitchens from the 80s, they just were ugly, even then...

We definitely agree. LOL. But so many others thought they were fabulous.

And yes, I do agree that putting a modern kitchen can be put in an old house and done tastefully when the overall feel of the house is still left in place. What gets me is when they pull out anything that gave a house its character.

I think this is so pretty, although I wouldn't go as far as painting the entry door to match.

Handmethehammer, so do I. If I hadn't found my quartzite with all the green in it, I probably would have painted my cabinets a green color.

• jhmarie
    7 years ago

Most of the regular posters here are pretty savvy about what they like personally. They may find inspiration from a pretty Houzz kitchen, but they will like it because it suits them, not because it is fashionable. I get concerned when a poster on the "design dilemma" says "should I paint my ....." like there is formal design protocol that must be followed whether they like it or not otherwise they have failed in some way. I have come to realize that while some are concerned about being "on trend" many are not visual type people and really don't know how to put something together that they will love. Others just need the reassurance that what they have is really pretty already, if not "on trend."

Funny thing about different styles - I grew up in a semi rural area. None of my friends or family who lived on farms or out in the country had "farmhouse" style kitchens. They had whatever style was "in" when their house was built. I am pretty sure the same is true of Tuscan or French Country. Style names evoke a certain feeling that attracts certain people, and is only loosely based on the reality the name implies.

Some of my favorite memories are of the time my family spent at a cottage / cabin by a lake - I now take my family to the same area. My home is somewhat based on the style of the cottage probably because I like the feelings evoked by that style.

I have a good group of friends - there are about 10 of us in a book club, and everyone's kitchen is different, and I like all the kitchens because they suit my friends.

If one knows the style they like, there are lots of pics on the internet - from primitive to ultra modern to get inspiration. Some just seem to need the confidence to go their own way.

cpartist thanked jhmarie
  • socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
    7 years ago

I'm definitely not a slave to fashion - I have the original 1932 cabinets in my kitchen with no plans to change them. I also have the original 1932 purple tile on the walls in the bathroom. We ripped out the 1960s vanity in the bathroom and went back to a pedestal sink and small cupboard.

cpartist thanked socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I get concerned when a poster on the "design dilemma" says "should I paint my ....."

That was actually one of the reasons I asked the question. I was on the design dilemma thread the other day and saw someone asked a similar question.

Socalgal, where can we see some of your house pics?

• Dorothy Pohorelow
    7 years ago

socalgal I wish my little 1938 house had more of the original we wanted to keep. The bathroom pedestal sink was still there as there is no way to fit modern vanity in it. AND we still had the (gasp) two handles one for hot one for cold faucet that could very well have been original, same in the kitchen when we moved in. Previous owners painted over the printed tin panels on the lower wall in the bath and we are having to ditch those poor damaged things. There is a cheap piece of remnant vinyl on the floor that I am almost afraid to pull out but when I pulled up the worn our vinyl in the hall I discovered the wood floor was intact and just needs refinishing. The kitchen cabinets may have been part of the original fitted kitchen as we have discovered that the damaged tile flooring doesn't extend under the cabinets and under that tile is the same wood flooring the rest of the house has.

A unique feature is all the quarter round is set slightly below the ceiling, considering the level of finishing in our arch and windows I think this was a choice. Someone once told us that it was so they could hang their clothes from the trim so they could air out and be worn the next day. According to that person it was a common feature in the railroad houses... I think he was blowing smoke but other have said it was a common detail in our area.

And yes we are trying to keep something of the feel of the house in our renovations including talking about putting that black and white hex tile in the bathroom.

cpartist thanked Dorothy Pohorelow
  • wildchild2x2
    7 years ago

We have a distant out of state relative that sends us a Xmas letter every year. He mentioned his deceased parents house had sold. The kitchen bling that grabbed the buyer's attention? The Marion Electric stove that his parents had bought in 1939 and cooked on for 50 plus years! The buyers loved that it was in such great shape and a real working stove rather than an ornamental antique.

New family said they will convert the old wash house into a family room but I'm guessing they like that old kitchen just like it is and if they do remodel will keep it traditional.

Depression era folks that took care of their things and wouldn't think to replace something that still worked.

cpartist thanked wildchild2x2
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    7 years ago

And yes we are trying to keep something of the feel of the house in our renovations including talking about putting that black and white hex tile in the bathroom.

Bless you Dorothy.

My first house was a 1927 bungalow with the original white subway tile in both the kitchen and in the bathroom. Original tub in the bathroom and original pedestal sink. The kitchen was small but was one of the best laid out kitchens I've ever worked in.

• jhmarie
    7 years ago

I also don't like to see older homes renovated without a nod to their heritage. Many of these homes were the ordinary homes of their day. Even basic homes had some nice woodwork, wood floors and some nice tile work.

Then I look at what I did - removing every trace of the 1970's from my home:) I justify that because there was nothing of architectural interest or design in the house to start with. The 70's design elements - harvest gold carpet and appliances, vinyl flooring, 70's paint colors - none of those were lasting elements. There was no wood floors and no tile. Surprisingly, the fireplaces are pretty ordinary and normal, so I like them the way they are.

The house was only 14 years old when we moved in, but every surface was worn out. Even the kitchen cabinet doors were falling apart - although the boxes were good and I later reused them.

We have not removed any walls except reworking an area of the master bedroom to make the master bathroom a little larger. The one thing I do appreciate in my 70's home is the size. The bedrooms are nice size, not too small or large, and the closets and other storage are adequate. There are a reasonable number of bathrooms and a garage and yard.

I have seen 70's houses that do have architectural interesting elements, but even then they are not universally appreciated - not very fond of them myself. I wonder if decades from now, there will be anything appreciated in the regular, ordinary homes built between 1970 and on. Is there anything worth appreciating? Newer builds have gone back to paneled doors, though a significant number are painted MDF as well as the trim work. Will that last decades? Will arched oak cabinets every be an original feature with vintage appeal?

cpartist thanked jhmarie
  • Alisa
    7 years ago

I don't think we're hopping on any current trends or fads with our remodel. I suspect we're veering into the eclectic category. natural walnut, an exotic granite (green blue yellow) a art nouveau styled hand made art pottery focal (basically a modern copy of a fredrick Rhead peacock ) and a varied green backsplash. and there will be steam punk elements to some open shelving we're doing and probably the lights. I find white boring. basically our new kitchen will have no white at all. No idea how it will effect resale but even though we're not finished we're loving it.

cpartist thanked Alisa
  • Pennie Heath
    7 years ago

Alisa, I want to see pics!

cpartist thanked Pennie Heath
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    7 years ago

jhmarie, most, not all, but most houses from the late 60's on really had no character to speak of, so no you're not ruining what wasn't there to begin with. It was the era of put them up quickly and as shoddily as possible and unfortunately many codes hadn't caught up to good building practices.

Alisa, I definitely want to see!

It's interesting though how sometimes budget tends to intrude on creativity. For example, my original thought was to paint the insides of my glass cabinets in the kitchen a different color. I was thinking of pulling one of the other colors from the quartzite out to paint the couple of cabinets but to do so with the cabinet company would be a huge uncharge. Maybe once they're in, I'll paint them or find a subtle wallpaper to put in.

• Alisa
    7 years ago

we are still a ways off from completion. I'll post pics when we're done. probably in spring. lol. I think the tile takes two months to get.

cpartist thanked Alisa
  • just_janni
    7 years ago

My slab front back and white with crazy quartz / granite is definitely not going to be in the top 10 kitchens of Houzz - and I am totally cool with that! LOL

cpartist thanked just_janni
  • freeoscar
    7 years ago

Right now, as a culture, we are going through an 'authenticity' moment (farm to table, etsy, 'makers'), so the idea that a house should hew to its original form is stronger than at other times when it was all about employing the latest and greatest.

That said, when buying a house most people are just hoping that they can get the location and function they want close to their budget. Style is a 'nice to have'. Given that, I don't think there is anything wrong with interior design which isn't in the original style of house given that in many cases that wasn't your desired style to begin with. Why compound the issue by making the interior clash with your preferences? If you want a craftsman but end up with an MCM, are you forever relegated to slab kitchen cabinet doors and molded plywood furniture, because that's authentic?

cpartist thanked freeoscar
  • Alisa
    7 years ago

I personally only chaff at non-authentic if it's a high end architect's special of the era. when you stray too much from the original thought process it shows because the overall design theory is runs so strong and evident... but in your average builders special of the era I don't think it matters so much.

cpartist thanked Alisa
  • caligirl5
    7 years ago

When something's on trend, it's hard to tell whether we like it because it's the trend or because it's intrinsically attractive to us. I love stained wood and was planning all stained wood in my kitchen. However I'm now thinking 2 tone with white uppers. I feel like the white uppers help the cabinets blend into the walls more and are less "in your face". I know it's trendy...but I think will be a good fit with the style I want.

I have a 1915 craftsman bungalow. Kitchen and bath aren't original, so no qualms about gutting them. New finishes won't be Jane-Powell-compliant but are intended to blend with the original features in the house. In listings in my neighborhood, I'm less offended by the finishes being put in the old homes than the layout choices. Especially now that I'm planning my own remodel and know how much money they must have spent to put in a range with no landing area.

Sometimes I see a cute original bathroom and wish mine were original. Then I realize how annoying it would be to have a wall-hung sink and no vanity in your only bathroom and am secretly thankful I don't have to choose between functional layout and tearing out original finishes.

cpartist thanked caligirl5
  • Wendy
    7 years ago

Given that, I don't think there is anything wrong with interior design which isn't in the original style of house given that in many cases that wasn't your desired style to begin with. Why compound the issue by making the interior clash with your preferences? If you want a craftsman but end up with an MCM, are you forever relegated to slab kitchen cabinet doors and molded plywood furniture, because that's authentic?

That was where I was exactly. Not that our home had any great and unique features, it didn't. It is a 1990's contemporary home. It was cold and lifeless. I don't know how many people asked me, "You really like this house?" I didn't like it, but I liked what I thought it could be.

I did get by, for about 7-8 years with décor that matched the house, but did not reflect me at all. These are the realtor pics and how I ended up painting and decorating to match the house. It wasn't bad, just not me.

Now (before) · More Info

Now (before) · More Info

Now (before) · More Info

Paint and décor to get by. Fine, but not anything I would pic for myself.

Layout & Decor (before & during renovation) · More Info

Layout & Decor (before & during renovation) · More Info

And now, I am going full on cottagy. Beadboard, stone fireplace/wall, wood floors, more windows, painted wood beams and posts. It's starting to look like a completely different home and turning into a space that I love.

cpartist thanked Wendy
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Why compound the issue by making the interior clash with your preferences? If you want a craftsman but end up with an MCM, are you forever relegated to slab kitchen cabinet doors and molded plywood furniture, because that's authentic?

I definitely understand your thoughts regarding the fact that many times people find the house in the area they want to be in and it's not their "desired" house. I actually was lucky finding my first two homes.

To answer your question, no you don't have to do slab doors, but you can make it thoughtful to the overall feel of the house. However, putting a tuscan kitchen in an MCM house will just look off.

Our condo building was a contemporary built condo in the early 80's. It was a marvel with rounded columns outside, floor to ceiling sliders, and no moldings throughout. It's won lots of awards and is held up as one of a particular style of build that is even taught in architecture schools. Definitely not my style as I love craftsman and my DH loves Asian. However the layout was ideal for how we live and the views to the bay were killer.

If I had come in and completely made the condo over into a craftsman, it would have looked totally out of place in the condo. So what I did was do a "contemporized" version of craftsman/asian. I did add moldings (flat square pieces), but made them fit the condo. I mixed furniture styles too trying to mostly find styles that could bridge the gap. Here's a link. While it may not have completely suited my style, I also didn't come in and completely destroy the aesthetics of what was there and we loved living there for the 6 years we were in that condo. Every time I was away from it and came home and opened the door, it made me smile, even if it wasn't my "true" craftsman. It can be done, but it takes thoughtfulness to pull it off.

Too many of the old houses from the 40's and older have beautiful moldings, flooring, etc and people come in, rip it all out and destroy anything that gives the house its charm. Coming into an old house and pulling down all the moldings, squaring off all the openings and turning the fireplace into a square box does nothing for the beauty of those houses. Too many old homes are or were being destroyed because of what is or was the current in trend.

but in your average builders special of the era I don't think it matters so much.

Alisa, I mostly agree with you except back in the late 1800's through the 1940's those builder specials (and kit homes) were so much better built than even many of today's high end homes. There are details in those homes that would be way too costly in all but the most expensive homes. Heck, I'm building a house that is certainly not cheap by any means, but even things like real wood moldings vs painted wood adds too much to the cost to build.

• Wendy
    7 years ago

Your condo is beautiful, CP.

cpartist thanked Wendy
  • socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
    7 years ago

1932 kitchen and bathroom. We have the original blueprints. The kitchen cabinet doors under the sink were added at some point, and the refrigerator is where there used to be a cooler. These photos don't show the original refrigerator location. The glass in the cupboard doors is not original. The tile by the sink is not original and it was very ugly but excellent condition so we had it painted. When that wears out I may consider a new countertop and sink. We put in new flooring. I also changed the knobs/drawer pulls to suit the Spanish style house. We redid the flooring in the bathroom because it had a big crack across it. Don't worry about the towels hanging above the wall heater - the heater has been disconnected!

• Alisa
    7 years ago

this is where we are at right now. the faucet is temporary. we are replacing it with a waterstone gantry in some kind of bronze brass flavor. the lighting is the original lighting and its going too. we are doing this kind of open shelving where a corner cabinet would go [https://www.houzz.com/photos/south-pennsylvania-street-contemporary-kitchen-denver-phvw-vp~70898113[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/south-pennsylvania-street-contemporary-kitchen-denver-phvw-vp~70898113)
    https://www.fireclaytile.com/tile/colors/detail/celadon/ this is the tile we're going with either in a square offset or a ogee drop. (we're leaning towards square offset atm)

and this as the focal (this may or may not end up being the color scheme we get) http://artsandclaycompany.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/PeacockAfterRhead-tailright.jpg

we had minor set back with the fridge water supply this week and are having to deal with water damage on the floors but after we get that settled we will be able to get the cabinet doors on lol.

there is also all kinds of trim everywhere. eventually that's all going to be evened out. this house is a LOT of work and it's not going to all get done in the first year. lol. we're going to end up living with some off elements til we get around to them. we keep meaning to rewatch "the money pit" lol

cpartist thanked Alisa
  • Alisa
    7 years ago

these two pics give a better idea of the granite. it's more heavy blue with green in person but green with a little blue in photos.

• cpartist
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you Wendy. Alas we sold it in May and the new owner changed much of it.

Great cabinets socalgal!

Alisa, what a special tile that will help make the kitchen. BTW: Love your counters.

• Pipdog
    7 years ago

Cool counters, Alisa.

With our last remodel in 2011, we did a white shaker kitchen. I loved it at the time. This time around we are taking a design risk. When researching for our current kitchen remodel, we looked at a lot of MCM/modern kitchens and the vast majority of them either have walnut, rift sawn oak or lacquered white slab cabinets. While those are beautiful, we wanted to do something different. We chose fluted cabinets that were inspired by a piece of MCM furniture we saw. The island will have stainless steel cabinets. I've never seen a kitchen with cabinets like this before, and I'm a little nervous about how they are going to turn out. With a white shaker kitchen, I had a vision of exactly what my space would look like -- it looked like many of the other kitchens on here. With this kitchen, we are going into unchartered territory with a unique cabinet style and stainless, which is not all that common in residential applications. It could turn out great, or it could be an epic fail. But I'm pushing myself to take a risk this time around.

cpartist thanked Pipdog
  • Alisa
    7 years ago

@pipdog. you're obligated so show us pics when it's done. :) it sounds like it will look super cool and space age

cpartist thanked Alisa
  • Carolyn87
    7 years ago

When I finally get my kitchen it will be beaded inset cabinets in ether green, teal or blue, these have always been up there on my favorites of colors (besides purple and black) and I never get tired of them. I love jewel tones! Might get mercury class inserts for some cabinets but I know I want some type of glass inserts. Black and white tile floor (or a cobble stone/brick look depending). I have octopus pendants in a silver color but unsure if I want to use over the island or dining table. Already have vintage looking pulls and cabinet latches. Going for a old vintage with a little sparkle. Undecided on back splash (subways, beveled subways, glass, etc). But ether white or black counters (or maybe grey if it is cobble stone floors).

If they showed up those are the pendant lights.

cpartist thanked Carolyn87
  • handmethathammer
    7 years ago

I love those octopus pendants!

I think the elements of newer builds that will stay are not design choices, but amenities....like a master suite, first floor laundry, mud rooms, etc...

I am glad to see someone mention the cost differences between wood trim/cabinets/doors and painted MDF. We looked into building a house twice, about 20 years apart. The first time, in the 90s, it was cheaper to go with lesser quality wood and paint it white. We looked into building again three years ago and the painted wood is now more expensive with every builder we talked to. It made me think they are all crooks profiting off the popularity of painted woodwork.

cpartist thanked handmethathammer
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I love those pendants! Where did you get them? They'd be perfect for DH's study as he's a volunteer in a local aquarium and marine research center.

• Carolyn87
    7 years ago

I got them from this etsy store Octopus Pendants

They also come in sconces. ^_^

cpartist thanked Carolyn87
  • cluelessincolorado
    7 years ago

Ooh, those pendants remind me of a work in the Chihuly Glass and Garden Exhibit in Seattle

• cpartist
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you Carolyn. They are definitely fun