SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kentrees12

A "Nutty" Story

kentrees12
7 years ago

Nutty in more ways than one. Talking about trees, from exotic to native, topic settled on our native American chestnut. I recalled stories my dad told me about them when he was a kid (19teens) in S CT, and my experiences as a kid (1950's) in CT and later here in TN.

Friend says he got a call from someone who found chestnut burs on the ground on his property but didn't know the tree they came from. Friend goes to the property and finds a native chestnut in pristine condition, ramrod straight trunk, smooth shiny bark, about 12"DBH. Friend relays info to someone he knows, that person informs a well known entity working on blight resistant chestnuts that asks for permission to secure pollen, permission granted, pollen secured.

Now here is the nutty part. About a year or so later my friend gets a call from the landowner that the chestnut appears to be dead, it is mid summer and the tree is leafless. So friend goes to the property to have a look. The tree was located on a narrow spit of land that dropped into a deep "holler". The pollen collectors needed a bucket truck to collect, and as there was no road into the woods a bulldozer was hired to cut a road to provide access to the tree. In the process the spoil from the road was pushed onto the root zone of the tree and not removed when the job was done. The rest is history.

I've wondered why pollen is the method that seems to be used in the search for a blight resistant tree. Why cannot scion wood be collected and grafted on seedlings raised from producing trees that are apparently disease free? This could be done under closed/sterile conditions, and the resulting trees would be genetically the same as the donor tree. Such grafts would be planted out and grown on to see if they were truly blight resistant.

Comments (12)