SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamesinsr

Washing Machine Water Hammer by Brand

jamesinsr
7 years ago

Hello All,

I have an LG Front Loading washer and dryer set that are about 9-10 years old. I have noticed in the last year or so, some water hammer whenever the washing machine dumps water in....mostly in the first half dozen very quick bursts of water. I have added the mini-arrestors directly to the washing machine valves, the 1/4 turn valves. I still have a bit of a problem though.

I am not sure if the machine valves are starting to act up and closing faster than they should be. I have read numerous complaints online regarding LG valves shutting very quickly and sometimes causing Water Hammer issues for some people. I might try installing a larger water hammer arrestor in the crawl space on the water lines instead of the mini arrestors as an experiment. (for example, Sioux Chief 653-B)

So far, other than that, I am fairly happy with the machines, but am looking forward to a newer, larger capacity set in the near future. My current washing machine is a WM2301HW. Depending on where you look LG lists it both as a 3.6 and a 4.2 cu ft machine. Either way, I would like to go to a larger, 4.5 cu ft capacity since that's what most are it seems?

With regards to Water Hammer, I am curious about how common it is across different brands. Most complaints I've found seem to be about LG, but there are others out there.

2nd, do all brands do the multiple (maybe half dozen) short bursts of water before finally deciding to pour water in for a couple minutes? To me, that's like having one foot on the gas, one on the break and stomping on both of them back and forth. I have read some people say it's to clean out the trays or something like that, but I believe it has the potential of doing more harm than good to your water system long term.

So:

1. Any feedback on water hammer by brand (LG, Electrolux, Miele, Samsung, SpeedQueen, Whirlpool, Maytag, etc)?

2) Does your brand (do they all do it) also do all the annoying, short quick bursts of water or does your front loader just start filling until the water level sensor tells it it's full so to speak?

I don't know if this interests anyone else out there, but if so, could you maybe answer in a form such as:

- Brand

- Model #'s if you know them?

- Any water hammer issues, minimal, major, etc?

- Does your machine do the short bursts or just start and keep filling?

- How long you've had your machines?

- How happy are you with them?

- Are you happy with the amount of water in the machine or is it being "too" economical water wise?

- Would you buy the same brand again?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments (22)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner