SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
two25acres

Gift idea for mom.

two25acres
7 years ago

Honest opinions. Mom is 80, lives with hubby and I. Has everything she needs/wants. Clothes and jewelry, she has more than Carter has pills. I've recently joined ancestry.com to find out more of our family history as there are so many young ones in the family and new ones coming every year but we don't know much about our history. We know our last name originates in Ireland. We know my mom's mother was Mexican but she altered her birth certificate and we only saw it briefly as she disposed of it before she passed away. My dad died in 1974 when I was very young, I never met his parents and we were always told he came from a pretty wild bunch. So, for Christmas I was thinking about gifting my mom the ancestry DNA to see if we can get some idea of her genetics before it's too late. What do you think? I'm pretty sure she would understand why I would give her such a gift as she has always wanted to know, not so sure she would like the outcome though. What do you think?

Comments (22)

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    7 years ago

I think that's a thought many of us have the older we get, and she might be interested to know?

two25acres thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • Elizabeth
    7 years ago

Have you considered having a hardcover book made with all the old photos, short stories and a family tree ? I think the DNA is a great idea. I would take it with a sense of humor if there were some wild people in there.

two25acres thanked Elizabeth
  • two25acres
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I have 5 brothers, I'm the only girl and the general consensus amongst the 6 of us is that I will one day rule the family. The family matriarch if you will. All my brothers come to me about the family issues, care for mom, for each other etc. I know my brothers would back me on the gift idea. I like the idea of the hardcover book, I have all the family pictures. Yes, I'm presently working on the family tree. Thank you for your insight.

• Adella Bedella
    7 years ago

I think the dna idea is a good one. If nothing else, you might be able to connect with some more distant relatives. Your mom may learn some things... good or bad. It may also explain why some things were the way they were.

I started on my family history several years ago. I work at it in spurts. I made a connection with someone this year and finally got pictures of my great grandparents and found out a family secret. It was exciting. After talking to relatives, I decided to set up a family email group. I have a group of about 15 people. They never know what I'm sending. I've shared stories and pictures I have. Others have sent me stories, pictures and documents. We've further researched and shared that. My family has a really interesting past. The more I share, the more I'm learning because others are opening up and sharing also.

two25acres thanked Adella Bedella
  • nicole___
    7 years ago

I like the DNA idea. I also think a trip to a museum or botanical garden would be nice.

two25acres thanked nicole___
  • Elmer J Fudd
    7 years ago

Rule the family?

Your "gift" sounds like it is less for your mother and more for you? Maybe get that but also something else that's a bit more personal - a massage, a spa session, etc. if she likes that?

two25acres thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • sjerin
    7 years ago

I would be a bit hesitant and think it would be better to give it to her knowing for sure she really wanted it. Have to agree with Elmer that it does seem like this is something you want, more than she.

two25acres thanked sjerin
  • mamatoad
    7 years ago

As someone who is the same age as your mom, I think it is a wonderful idea? There are many of us who simply don't need any more material things and would welcome a gift like this. I know I would! Adding the photos, etc. if you have time would made it even better.

two25acres thanked mamatoad
  • two25acres
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Growing up with 5 brothers gives one a very strong back bone. Yes, the gift would benefit all of us, kids, grand kids, great grand kids etc. I've thought of doing it myself but knowing my mom who would never be interested in a massage, a salon visit or "something" personal I'm confident she would like it. I've done jewelry, clothes, etc. but she really doesn't need anything, remember, she lives with me. Getting around isn't easy, I'm pretty sure she is done driving. She uses a cane and walker now. She has a history of heart attack, diabetes, stroke and Leukemia. We're battling things right now and she just lost her last cousin so I know family is on her mind and yes, she's already made it very clear to me that I would need to keep the family together.

I've asked a couple of my sister in laws, and they agree as well that it would be a nice gift and one that we can all share in.

• Adella Bedella
    7 years ago

Like I said above, I've had the experience that others enjoy it too. My grandparents were still alive when I got interested in the family history. I started looking around and made contact with the dil of my grandmother's brother. She knew of all of the siblings except my grandmother. My grandmother was the only sibling still alive and so was the brother's ex-wife. They talked to each other for the first time in 40 years. It meant a lot to my grandmother. She asked me to look for her cousins. I did, but I didn't have the resources I do now. I found some of her cousins through FindAGrave. They were still alive then. I wish I could have found them then.

two25acres thanked Adella Bedella
  • socks
    7 years ago

Talk to her about it first.

• Fun2BHere
    7 years ago

I've been thinking about giving a DNA kit to my mother, too, but I'm not sure if she will want to do it, so I think I will talk to her about it and then get it if she really is interested.

two25acres thanked Fun2BHere
  • two25acres
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I don't want her to know she is getting it but we have discussed how fun it would be to know and she is in awe that a simple test can tell us so much. All 5 brothers have now told me to go ahead as it's really a family gift.

• Sue_va
    7 years ago

I have an excellent hard back professionally well done Journal and Genealogy of my paternal great-great grandfather, and now that the DNA kits are available, I have thought about getting one. Of course I have questions. To begin with, where do you get the "best" one? Would it be "reliable?" What else would I need to know before buying it? Thanks for any help.

• Annegriet
    7 years ago

Love the DNA/Ancestry idea! Good luck.

• lovemrmewey
    7 years ago

Like Sue_va, I would like to know where to begin when the ancestry quest seems something that you should do and would enjoy! So please share any advice/experience you have had!

• jemdandy
    7 years ago

I think that is a fine gift, not the DNA trace alone, but the thought that you may be able to find out more for your mother. If one of her ancestors came from Ireland, you may find that your line is deeply immersed in early US history, depending on the time period when the ancestor arrived. Many Irish came to the America shores during the great Irish famine when the potato blight decimated their main food crop. The Island lost half of its population during that time by immigration or death by starvation. The population fell from 8 million to 4 million. (You may want to find out how the potato became the food crop for the unlanded Irish.)

If your Irish ancestor came during colonial times before the Revolutionary War, you may find he/she survived the terrible time of that war and maybe actively participated in it. One third of the Colonists did not support that war: Some for business reasons, some for direct connections to the homeland, and others for fear of the aftermath if they lost.

As countries go, the US is not very old compared to other parts of the globe. However, we do have one of the oldest governments. You will discover that early immigrants had a hand in building this nation. Everyone had a role. Because of this, you may find some of your ancestors rubbing shoulders with notable historical figures.

No matter what you find, you will find this is a fascinating way to study US history. Your ancestors are part of this country's history.

In regard to the DNA trace, I do not recommend the one by National Geographic for your purpose, although the Nat. Geographic is a notable project. Its main purpose is to trace people's expansion across the globe from early times. Nearly everyone has about 2% Neanderthal in their genes. You may find that a DNA trace by one of the genealogical organizations is a better fit for your purpose, especially if you start a family tree in that organization. They will try to match your DNA to potential relatives who have their DNA on file. However, this may require you to take a year's subscription to that organization.

• User
    7 years ago

How about something good to eat? I got some Sheri's berries one year and they were so good .(chocolate covered strawberries)

• Rusty
    7 years ago

Well, I think it is a wonderful idea! You've said she would like to know more about her heritage, you've said your brothers all think it is a good idea, so why hesitate? Go for it! I'll bet she will be thrilled to death! I know I would be. Maybe she would enjoy a small gift along with it, of some special treat she might like, a special candy or gourmet treat of some type, something she doesn't ordinarily get to have.

Let us know what you do, and her reaction, please.

Rusty

• two25acres
    Original Author
    7 years ago

So we are doing it. I'm not paying for it though. So much can happen in just a few short hours. My husband lost his job. Fired by the same guy that let me go 18 months ago. Say's his wife is divorcing him and taking him for all he's got and can't afford hubby anymore. He told me he was behind on taxes and had to let me go. Anyway, brother are paying for it and we will all benefit.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    7 years ago

I'm glad your brothers will help. My best wishes for a quick hire for your husband. I'm sorry this happened to you.

two25acres thanked rob333 (zone 7b)