SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coriannh0uzzviolatedmyprivacy

Book recommendations for the chemistry of gardening?

Hi there soil experts! So I'm a hobby gardener who enjoys roses, herbs, veggies, fruits, azaleas and California natives. I am blessed with great conditions here in Norcal and great soil, so I haven't done too much besides the basics of just home testing pH, fertilizing every now and then, mulching, etc. But now I want to get more into the chemistry of gardening. Here's why... I decided to go back to school late in life for a doctorate program in physical therapy, but because all my prerequisites are WAAAYYY over 10 years old I am required to take many basic classes again ... like chemistry, biochemistry, physics, etc. These were not my favorite classes the first time around! It's a little daunting to say the least. But I'm doing it! So far straight As, but next term is when I take chemistry and physics.

Now, I think that if I can apply some wisdom and understanding from the real world it will help me in chemistry. What better place to apply real world knowledge of chemistry than in gardening!

Can anyone recommend a good book for me to read through over winter break to help me get into the chemistry of gardening? Not a text book please - I already have too many of those. I'm thinking something that will just help me tie in some basic concepts and be an easy, enjoyable, fascinating read. Thank you so much!

Comments (19)