SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msujohn

Need to replace windows and looking for advice

msujohn
7 years ago

I'm in the process of doing my research on replacing my casement windows in my house. I have about 10 to 12 wood windows that currently need to be replaced. The exterior of my window will need to be a cream type color and interior will be painted white (to match my existing white wood molding trim). Here are some of my questions.

- I'm currently interested in Marvin Ultimate, infinity, integrity and Andersen 400, A, and E series (haven't priced anything out yet). Not really interested in any all vinyl options.

- I will be looking at the U Factor, SHGC, and Air leakage #'s for each of these windows? is there anything else I should be looking at (besides the material and look of them). I really want an efficient window. My house (especially back) gets hit with some major winds.

- Does it matter how wide the actually casing is for each window? It looks like some of these windows have much wider casings than the other?

- I'm assuming each window has different types of glass (Low E, etc) and different gas options (argon, etc). Are there options or will a particular window (i.e. Marvin Infinity come with a specific glass and gas)? What should I be looking at related to the glass and different gas options?

- For the grills and/or divided lites, is there advantages to having them between the glass vs. on the exterior/interior? In other words, is this purely for cosmetics or does one option offer a more efficient window?

- Can someone recommend a good installer in the west suburbs of Chicago?

- Where are some reputable places to go and look at windows and get a better understanding of the pro's/con's?

As I move forward, I'm sure I will have many more questions. Thanks for all your advice in advance.

Comments (28)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County