SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jayceeach

Aloe vera leaves drying out at the tips

Jaycee
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi all, I have an aloe vera plant and I'm not sure what's going on with its leaves. The oldest outermost leaves start to dry at the tips, then slowly over the course of a few weeks, they'll dry up completely.

I have it in a terracotta pot with a 50/50 perlite/C&S potting mix and it sits in a southern window where it gets full sun, about 3 hours a day during this time of year. I don't think this is a symptom of overwatering, as it's not getting brown or mushy in any way, just dry and crispy. Is it possible I am underwatering? I treat this as I would any other succulent (allow soil to dry between waterings, underwatering is better than overwatering), so I can't tell if this is a watering issue. Could it be a humidity issue? As far as I can tell, these guys don't have any specific humidity requirements. I repotted the aloe a few months ago. Since then it has produced all of the new pups you see in the photos as well as some new leaves so I'm a little confused what the dry leaves are trying to tell me. Any advice?

Dry leaf tips - this will eventually move its way down the entire leaf.

The whole plant

Shot of the soil (note, the angle of the photo makes the soil line look lower than it actually is, it's probably about 1/2 an inch from the rim of the pot)

Comments (4)