SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coriannh0uzzviolatedmyprivacy

OT Green onions as companion plants - planted from food scraps!!

Ok since onions and garlic are supposed to be good companion plants for roses I thought I would post this here.

Did you all have any idea that you can regrow green onions from the food scraps you use in the kitchen? I had no idea! But I read it on a blog, tried it when I had bunches and bunches of green onions after Thanksgiving, and here it is a week later... I have green onions growing in my garden!

I started them in water on the windowsill, then planted them!

Why bother buying allium bulbs when you could just use green onion scraps? Unless you really love giant, purple allium I guess. I think the white flowers of green onions will suit my garden just fine.

If they all continue to grow, I will have enough to let some flower and also use some in the kitchen. I may never have to buy green onions again! And they're good companion plants for roses, raspberries and all sorts of plants in the garden!

Here is a photo of some around a dormant raspberry plant. These grew from just scraps that I started 6 days ago!

I posted about it on the vegetable forum with some photos. Here's the link: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/4305648/green-onions-from-food-scraps-on-a-windowsill?n=7

Comments (12)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH