SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly

Notes from a Silicon Valley garden

Rosefolly
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I've been enjoying a late fall bloom which even our recent (and very welcome) rain showers have not spoiled. Rosette Delizy is always delightful, and Le Vesuve is covered with roses. Papa Gontier is gorgeous. At first I thought it was one of those two colored roses, as I seemed to see both pink and yellow roses on it right now. Then I realized that Mutabilis had grown over to reach it. Monsieur Tillier is heavy with bloom, and even my pernetiana Climbing Shot Silk has a couple of open roses. But the one that brings me most joy right now is Bouquet d'Or. I have admired this rose ever since Papa Roseman posted pictures of it here some years back. I had trouble getting my hands on it, but a couple of years ago it came into my garden. It is growing on the front fence and blooming its head off. I'm hoping it gets bigger. Perhaps I ought to be deadheading it preventively as I do Annie Laurie McDowell. I did for the first year, then I let it have its way.

With the rain has come an abundance of weeds. I've pulled a few but won't really get to it in a serious way for a while. This past month has been dedicated to planting bulbs that are resistant to deer and gophers. I planted about 600 bulbs; 200 Golden Dawn daffodils alone. Some came from Bill the Bulb Baron, and some came from local nurseries. I did wander over to Old House Gardens website which carries vintage bulbs, but they are actually sold out of everything for the fall. Good for them! They are under new management, and that is an excellent start. I like to see my favorite nurseries thriving.

Rosefolly

Comments (3)