SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
uscroy

101 Stucco Questions - Why is this so complicated?

uscpsycho
7 years ago

I need some help with my stucco installation. I have the brown coat done and have a million questions before finishing the job.

1. I am debating between cement stucco and acrylic stucco. I talked to a rep of the stucco manufacturer who makes acrylic and cement stucco. He steered me towards acrylic but I'm worried about the longevity of acrylic. According to their website "Acrylic finishes have proven to work well over 30 years. Stucco finishes have proven to work well for many decades, well over 75 years in some cases." That leads me to believe stucco is much more durable. Yes or no?

1. I want a section of the house to be a dark grey or black. The rep I spoke to said that you can't really get dark colors with cement and if you try they will fade. For this reason his company only makes dark colors in acrylic. But another manufacturer of cement stucco makes dark colors. Is that going to fade a lot?

3) Either way, the rep recommended this leveling coat with fiberglass mesh over the brown coat to help prevent cracks. This will significantly add to the cost. I've never heard of this before. Is it commonly done and is this really going to help much?

4) If I go with cement stucco he recommends a product called Adacryl which is supposed to help with adhesion. This goes over the level coat or over the brown coat if I don't use a level coat. Same question, are products like this commonly used and does it help enough to justify the added expense?

5) If I go with acrylic stucco he recommends using a primer which helps with adhesion for acrylic stucco. Same as Adacryl, this goes over the level coat or over the brown coat if I don't use a level coat. Again, are primers commonly used and does it help enough to justify the added expense?

In a nutshell his recommendations are: With cement get a level coat over brown coat and then adacryl over the level coat. With acrylic get the level coat over brown coat and then a primer over the level coat.

I'm in a part of Los Angeles where the summers get very hot. The things I am most concerned with are minimal cracks, longevity of the finish and color fade resistance. Probably the exact same concerns anyone else has.

6) Is there a strong reason to go with acrylic or cement? And either way, are all these other products worth it? I know this guy's job is to sell product so as a Regular Joe it's hard to know if all this stuff is really necessary.

7) I found this additional product on their website which he did not mention. http://www.lahabrastucco.com/literature/PUSAPro-TectDS.pdf It is designed to protect cement stucco against staining. Worthwhile?

HELP!!! Thank you :-)

Comments (2)