SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
headmotty

Considering a Wood Front Entry Door

headmotty
7 years ago

I'd like to replace our cheap, whatever it is, builder-grade door with a new one, and I'd really like a wood one if possible and if cost is not ridiculous. I just like the look of the grain of a wood door. Doesn't have to be super high quality or intricately detailed or anything, and don't want any glass in it or any sidelights. I know there are fiberglass and steel alternatives, but for now, I'm just asking about the feasibility of wood for my situation. I'll consider the alternatives if the opinions are that wood really wouldn't work for me.

That said...here's the situation: Our house faces pretty much west, so gets lots of full sun, and the porch is not covered, so no protection from the elements.

So what I'm imagining is a wood door, and using penetrating oil on it. Not paint, because (IMO) that just ruins the whole look and feel of "wood", and not a varnish because it will just crack/peel/etc. soon enough, and it's a pain to sand/recoat. I realize I would need to wipe on more penetrating oil what, once a year? Maybe twice a year? But that seems simple enough, and I wouldn't mind doing that.

Now because of the uncovered porch, I'd need to add a storm door for protection or this whole thing doesn't even make sense. But I know there can be huge heat buildup inside a storm door, so I should use a vented storm door.

Please tell me if this plan sounds practical. Will the combination of penetrating oil (with regular reapplications) and vented storm door be enough to protect it and keep it looking good? Or is wood too high risk (lost cause?) in this situation? I don't want to do it if it's gonna be a warped, dried out, faded mess no matter how much I keep after it.

Comments (7)