SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
m111675

Front entry tile or wood?

m111675
5 years ago
For our front entry, we can’t decide between tile and wood. The bulk of the first floor will be wood but we are considering tile floor in the front entry. That space is about 6 feet by 6 feet. How would a 3 by 16 inch black and white chevron tile work in that space? Too busy and chopped up with the remainder of the front hall in wood? We like to take off our shoes upon entry and just seems better/more durable to have a front entry with tile. We will also be having a separate mudroom with tile. For the front entry, can’t decide. Would love guidance/advice here. Thanks!

Comments (63)

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    5 years ago

If time is of the essence in the contract, and he didn't meet that date he is in breach of contract. In other words he is screwed.

I haven't met a single contractor who will enter a contract with time is of the essence unless he has plenty of time to do it and he is 101% sure he will meet that date.

In court that is an automatic loss no matter how you swing it and he better be ready to pay.

• Related Discussions

Wood posts front entry?

Q

Comments (4)
    Umm...i'm not really sure? Looks like its posts on the sides for support and beams up top for the design. One going across and a couple diagonal going up? Sorry, don't really know what i'm talking about!
    ...See More

What would be approp. floor or tile for my front entry/foyer?

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi, quite often you would see the vestibules tiled up to mid-wall height, with subway tile and chair rail and base moldings also in ceramic. The floor would be small unglazed mosaic. There could be a border like a greek key or other pattern, and there could be an actual mosaic "rug" in the center. It was popular to have the family monogram or last name inlaid, or even just the house number. People often went overboard when decorating these spaces, as it was among the first things that a caller would see, and they were acutely attuned to making the first impression an overwhelmingly strong statement about their wealth/class. Casey
    ...See More

Need to choose entryway tile that goes with other tile and wood floor.

Q

Comments (4)
    First of all, I’ve been toying with the idea of adding a vestibule to the front of my home, so this project of yours is very intriguing to me! Moving on, since the current tiled entryway area is part of the room with the hardwood, replace that tile with the same wood. As for the vestibule flooring, will there be a door and/or significant change in elevation (i.e., a step) between the vestibule and the rest of the entry? If so, you could use tile in the vestibule. Would I recommend using the tile you’re thinking about using? Probably not, and for the very reason you’re concerned about—“that it would look like I tried to hard to get them to match.” But to know for sure, I’d really have to see the rest of your space and the plans for the vestibule, though my initial thought would be to use something completely different in shape, color and/or texture from the kitchen tile. For example, maybe use just those small hex tiles or perhaps use a charcoal/black tile. Btw, have you considered enlarging the opening to the kitchen?
    ...See More

Best quality choice for black WOOD front entry door with GLASS - Calif

Q

Comments (1)
    Nothing Pella or Jeldwen in my humble opinion. Therma Tru does not make wood. I would look for Simpson, or Rogue Valley or Lemieux if you cannot get a local door shop to make you a custom mahogany door.
    ...See More
  • m111675
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yeah you are probably right but for some reason I keep wanting to make a “vestibule.” Suggestions on a nice rug (that would be waterproof/durable)?
  • PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

You need an interior designer to help you with decisions about things like this.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

Install a high velocity blower like they have at the exit of a carwash just outside the front door and install any flooring you darn well please.

• C R
    5 years ago

I would recommend doing hardwood throughout - that way the cleaning is also easy and the flow of the house tends to be better- more uniform. I tend to stay away from area rugs due to allergens for health reasons. Since you have a mudroom this entry is just for guests.

• m111675
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The comment about needing an interior designer is probably right too!
  • PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    5 years ago
    My entry is a tad larger than yours and we went with wood so it looked harmonious with the hall and family rooms adjacent. Any rug with pad will protect your wood floor!
  • simplechoices
    5 years ago

We went with a patterned tile in our 6x6 entry and I love it. It makes our entry feel special. We don't have a mudroom and even with a boot scrapper and rug outside, I find we drag in more snow than I like. Your guests will not come through the mudroom. I would be worried for the wood, but that's just me.

• m111675
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    So I visited the Tile Shop today and think will go with tile for the vestibule. Of the following 2 options, what do you think would look better in a 6 feet by 6 feet space:

Option 1 - https://www.tileshop.com/product/cassettone+black+mosaic+porcelain+wall+and+floor+tile.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=Search
    This sort of looks like a trellis/lattice from afar

Option 2 - chevron in black and white, using the following:
    https://www.tileshop.com/product/tinos+white+chevron+porcelan+wall+and+floor+tile+-+3+x+16+in.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=Search
    https://www.tileshop.com/product/tinos+black+chevron+porcelan+wall+and+floor+tile+-+3+x+16+in.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=Search
    Would be alternating black and white in a chevron pattern pointing into the house

Thanks!
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Pointless!!!!! You will cover it with an area rug anyway.

Why? Something needs to absorb grit and damp at ANY entry.

Min fact, the wood I'll be safer, smoother, no built in "size" to consider.

So! There is the warning you will hate it when installed!

Bet you will be back here too:)

• Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago

does your door clear an entry carpet? because... they all don't.

• hollybar
    5 years ago

I have wood at the front entry,tile at the side and that is the door most used. Both have rugs. The heavy traffic tile area has a rug from Karastan's Spice Market line in the winter. Cleans up beautifully and I live in snow country.

• chisue
    5 years ago

Wood will visually expand this small -- presumably 'formal' foyer.

Our house has hardwood flooring throughout, including the foyer and kitchen. The back hall, laundry and bathrooms have tile floors. I have a wool oriental in our foyer, with an innocuous and inexpensive runner immediately inside the entry door and a thirsty mat outside it. House is 17 years old, near Chicago.

You can buy a lot of rugs for the cost of laying tile -- and repairing chips in tile. You will want a rug with either wood or tile.

• sprink1es
    5 years ago

I have a wood foyer right now, and next house will have all tile. You'll put a rug over both of them, but living in a snow state I have having an exterior door touching wood.

People come in, and snow falls between the door sill and the rug. Snow/water finds its way to the edge of the rug then water sits under the rug. 5 people come in at once and there isn't enough space, so someone walks off the rug with wet shoes. Then there's kids that aren't even thinking of keeping the floor dry.

I feel like I'm constantly having to check my wood foyer and wipe it up. Tile is easy to clean...

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

An outdoor mat and boot scrapper works wonders. And folks can take their shoes off on the front porch if excessive snow, mud or water is an issue.

There's lots of ways to deal with the weather issues.

But...everyone to their own choice.

As to what works best in a very small entry space...that's a design issue and a maintainence issue.

In my house, kilim rugs do the job. But even sisal or similar rugs, mats or runners will work.

• m111675
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yes I agree a rug is needed either way. For the small space that remains, trying to figure out which works best. Probably won’t see much of it anyways. But good point about the space between the rug and door where water can seep.
  • PRO
    Oak & Broad
    5 years ago

JAN MOYER is on point as always! Dont over complicate the entry way flooring.

• chisue
    5 years ago

Not getting the 'door touching wood' thing. Our entry door is wood. The threshold is wood. Maybe I just don't have enough guests in winter!

WE use the family entry...garage or back door to back hall...which is tiled up to the kitchen (wood).

My childhood home had a vestibule with tile, then a foyer (carpeted, like the rest of the house in those days of old).

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

"the space between the rug and the door"..................

Is there a reason you are making this hard? It's the part people step right OVER and onto a rug. After wiping their feet on your outside mat. Is the the RAINFOREST??? : ) A muddy farm?

You wash wood floors and get more water on them than this mental agony. Floors get damp, wet, get wiped up , are meant to be WALKED on. Water on tile needs to be wiped up too.. it can get slippery. It is just wheel reinvention. It's a wood floor. They last DECADES with the basic and reasonable care. I don't want to visit you if all you will do is worry about "the greet" and what may be spilled...........lol.

Even old homes with air lock type vestibules had a rug on the tile or brick, or slate in that entry. All of them.

• Mid America Mom
    5 years ago

From your comments it appears you would like tile. Of the two options you provided I personally like option 1. I like that it is larger. I assume you will go with dark grout?

• acm
    5 years ago

hard disagree with Jan on this one. may depend on where you live, but we usually have three people coming into the house at one time, and the door swings over the mat you might wipe your feet on, so you always have to step off it relatively quickly, and it's impossible not to make puddles everywhere. replacing our wood with tile during a recent renovation was a no-brainer -- and yes, that's despite having a covered doorway, a mat outside, and boot trays inside. if you live where there's a lot of rain and/or snow, you just end up spending time wiping up. tile is easy. (we went with a medium tone solid in our small entrance (4x6 maybe?) with no threshold between tile and wood.)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

I'm dense. I also spent an entire winter a couple decades ago helping a sister trapped in her tree house condo after a wipe out Maximus on a tile entry . Use a RUG!! Every surface needs one. Wood , tile, linoleum, mark oleum, marble , porcelain , slate, ceramic, brick! Name it. You need a walk off rug at entry points

• josielcpc
    5 years ago

m111675, for what it's worth, I think you will be happier with the look of wood in that small space. Changing to tile will likely make the space seem even smaller than it is. Many, if not most, people put some kind of rug in their foyer regardless of flooring material. If you are concerned about cleaning the rug, you might want to think about a polypropylene one. Safaviah makes nice ones that you can buy for reasonable prices. Here's an example:

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Safavieh-Courtyard-Quatrefoil-Grey-Beige-Indoor-Outdoor-Rug/7357010/product.html?refccid=N45IJSGDQCTY4MSOGM5HYP62FI&searchidx=6

I've even seen them at Costco on occasion. I've had one under my kitchen table and it has lasted for years, and it can be cleaned quite easily with soap and water.

• m111675
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks, yes I agree a rug is needed, regardless of the flooring. That is really nice rug for the entry, thanks! Just thinking could get that kind of rug but still have tile underneath, just because it is a bit easier to clean/maintain at an entry? So maybe the tile does not matter as much because most of it covered anyway. This is for a new house so not as difficult it seems to do tile in this space, if desired. And there are small walls around this space so a little more like a “vestibule.”. At the same time, could be easier/safer in terms of looks just to go with wood to be continuous with the rest of the first floor except the mudroom.
  • robin0919
    5 years ago

Tile....

• rrah
    5 years ago

Tile is slippery when wet since that seems to be a concern. Grout is much more difficult to keep clean compared to hardwood. In a space that size I would go for the continuity of wood.

• m111675
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Everyone has had great comments, thank you!! So I need to finally decide. Here is a photo of the space (wood was just laid; final stained color will be darker), and I've included a possibility for the tile (not definite) for the front entry if do tile there. What do you think? Tile or wood there in front entry? And like this possibility for tile there? It's a porcelain mosaic. Have to decide asap. If do tile, want to be sure smooth, seamless transition between tile and wood. Is that possible? Look forward to your feedback. Thank you!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

All WOOD:). This is simple. Give yourself a Xmas gift! Simplicity ! And an entry rug! Alllllllllll. Wood

• DLM2000-GW
    5 years ago

Agree, all wood. I've had hardtwood flooring in the front and back entries of 3 homes. It's classic, creates a visual flow and with the right rug it's as easy care as it gets.

• PRO
  • Laurie Tillett
    5 years ago
    I don’t know how many times Jan has to say it.....but “wood, wood, wood, wood, wood”! And as far as good oriental rugs go...they’ve been around for centuries....mostly laying on dirt in tents! So, they will hold up just fiiine.....trust me.
  • Janet Mmm
    5 years ago
    Wood
  • Suru
    5 years ago

We have a 6 x 6 entry with slate tiles and then wood floor in the rest of the house. We did it for two reasons: One, we have a lot of snow and visitors and didn't want people tracking it in on my wood floors, two, it defines the small entryway as an entry/foyer. I like it.

• m111675
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yes it would define the space as a small foyer/entry. But rug either way, and more limited if do this trellis/lattice porcelain in black/white tile in terms of rug can put on top. My tendency would be tile too to make it more interesting/special entry space. But I also hear the many people saying wood so may get an interesting indoor/outdoor graphic rug instead with the wood.
  • justlol
    5 years ago

We're in the process of remodeling. We have wood floors everywhere except the front and back entry ways. Why? Because we live in the north with lots of snow and slush from October-April. My sister has wood at her entry and it is a pain! Always wiping up puddles because large groups have to step off the rug to take off boots and shoes! I don't have to wipe up the puddles on the tile until I feel like it and by that time, the puddle is dry. Lol. I put a slate looking porcelain in my entries.

• ptreckel
    5 years ago
    White tiles = muddy footprints. If you go with tile, I would do a classic natural black slate tile. Sealed before installation. With a gorgeous oriental rug on top. And...a mat right inside the front door. NO white tile. NO marble tile (salt, chemicals, etc. will corrode it.). Go the classic route if you choose tile. Think stately English homes. NOT white tile.
  • m111675
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you for your comment about the type of tile. The one I picked and shown in the photo is a porcelain that looks like marble - it is matte finish, and the “white” in it is actually more light grey to look like marble and the black is supposed to look like black marble. Bad choice? Still show footprints? Wouldn’t porcelain be better than slate or natural stone? Photos of slate or other tile recommended? Thanks!
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

I like the tile. do a metal edging between it and the wood for the transition. it's hardly noticeable. or, if the tile/wood same thickness, just butt it right up to the wood with careful cutting.

(I'd still do a border of wood around the tile)

• m111675
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you for liking the tile! I like it too! If we do that tile, what kind of rug would you put on top? By the way, I think the tile is called Cassette porcelain tile (or something like that) - it is a porcelain mosaic, available at the Tile Shop, in black. Would a sisal rug on top of it work? What would be holding me back from the tile - as much as I like it - would be limited in what rug can put on top, and would put a rug on top, whether wood or tile. If wood, no limit regarding style/pattern of rug. Just thought of a compromise - maybe a tile but more neutral one, like a herringbone in grey, so then can put any rug on top? But of course with any rug on top, don’t see as much underneath, so maybe what is the point? By the way, what size rug would be appropriate in an approximate 6x6 entry space? Thank you!!
  • m111675
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    And I like the wood border, but again, if rug on top, how much would you see of it?
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

if you're going to use a rug, then just do your wood. doesn't make sense to do a patterned accent tile and then cover it with a rug! that is meant to take the place of an accent rug. if you want to do a mat or something, then put one outside or have a place for guest to remove their shoes (if you're worried about dirt and such)

and yes, the porcelain would be better than natural stone. much easier to clean. (although slate is pretty easy too once it's sealed)

• m111675
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    If go with tile, like that black/light grey porcelain trellis/lattice tile, or maybe 4x12 black porcelain that looks like nero marble in herringbone? That way not limited with rug on top. Seems many will just say do wood and be done with it already!
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

I happen to like the accent look. others don't. I really don't see what the diff is if you do wood and lay down a patterned rug, or just do the patterned tile! we rarely use our front door as an entrance, so keeping the area clean isn't an issue for me. if you get a ton of use, then maybe you want a rug. or just have a no shoes allowed policy like they do in hawaii. (or my house!)

and yes, I love the black herringbone look w/wood. (I think I posted that way up at the top)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

Back when home building ( 1920 ) made some sense in the four season climates, you had an air lock, a vestibule. with a second entry door, and it was many times glass. It's purpose wasn't to protect your flooring it was to protect the inefficient, less even heat and save you from a blast of icy cold air. The floor was brick.......tile, slate. It was a contained space.

We no longer have that nice little contained space. If we did? We'd not use it. Neighbors don't knock on front doors when out for a walk anymore. Folks like Beth above? Common for it not even to get opened! We go in and out of garages attached to the house.

In wide open spaces as today, where a "foyer" is in name only, that? ONE surface please? Wood and a rug solve the rain, snow dirt.........and ........ the tile just breaks the space, and makes the rug harder to find. So you can COVER it. Kinda dumb in my book : ) Like the loss of air lock vestibules.

• m111675
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks for your comments. My front entry space is not completely open. In that case, I would definitely say wood. Here there are little walls coming in, with an arch but no doors. Hopefully can see in the photo I posted above. Make a difference to make it a separate space or not really?
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

Honestly? : ) Wood. Don't chop up flooring in a home unless a serious need to do so. This is not one of those.

• ghatta
    5 years ago
    We put tile in the foyer and it will meet carpet in the hallway. I live in Minnesota and as much as a house full of wood floors is beautiful, I wouldn’t have it in mine. And yes, I grew up in a house built in 1916 and it had wood floors throughout. Our front door will not be used as much as the garage, but it will still be used. My kitchen and dining room are wood but there is a wall with an opening that separates it from the living room.
  • robin0919
    5 years ago

If you're going to use a rug, IMO....it really makes no difference in using tile or wood. Most is going to be covered up anyway. But then again, it might look better having wood on the edge.

• worthy
    5 years ago

More exciting than "over" or "under" toilet paper!

I almost always have tile or stone rather than wood at the entries.

A worthy entry. (Gauged quartzite.)
    (BTW, what is this "we almost always use the garage door rather than the front door" thing. Certainly not here in the sorta North country.)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County