SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Mineral Spirits is cloudy? Is this causing the problem?

I noticed this container of Mineral Spirits I had around (in the attached garage) was cloudy when I poured it out. I’d never seen that before, so I checked the label and saw it was “odorless”. I thought that maybe that is just the way it looks. I used it as normal for cleaning off brushes after staining. The can I poured for cleaning my brushes did clear after a while.

I waited 2 days after staining. Then last night I did what I normally do, and blended 2 kinds of polyurethane together, satin and semi-gloss (because I like a finish half way between the two). Then cut it with about half mineral spirits, to make it dry faster. I do this to reduce the dust that falls into the surface. This is no different from what I’ve done many times before. It looks like butterscotch in the jar. Both cans of finish were new and stirred thoroughly.

I checked about 12 hours later, to see if it was ready for sanding. To my surprise, it’s still tacky. So I turned the dehumidifier on, which has been off since the heat was turned on. Turned on a swing-arm incandescent lamp to provide a little mild warmth. I just checked again: no real difference, 7 hours later. I had even brushed a thinner coat then usual. I have never had half strength poly not dry to the touch really quickly, so to be able to recoat the next day if not earlier.

I don’t normally finish at this time of year. But I avoided rainy days. I misplaced my humidity meter, which I normally check before finishing.

What do you think? Humidity, or something wrong with the mineral spirits? Will I need to remove it?
Thanks.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County