SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danielinthelionsden

Rethinking Driveway Shade Tree

So I've put a lot of planning into the landscaping around the house. And of course I'm second guessing some of the plans. So here's what I'm thinking on right now. I'm wanting a good spreading tree on the North side of the drive. I know wrong side for good shade, but there are factors preventing the planning in better locations. I was pretty set on one of the fast growing Maples primarily because of availability but I'm having second thoughts now due to the notorious damaging roots of the Maple family. I'm thinking now that there's probably a better option that will still make shade over the driveway with less damage potential to the asphalt.

So I really like the Tulip tree but I'm not really sure about the damage potential and I've been told Tulip isn't good for driveway because it slimes everything under it. It's certainly got the fastest growth and size potential of the options I've been considering. Just not sure.

Some others that I've considered are River Birch. I've been told it's very safe for driveways. Also, Thornless Honey Locust, Eastern Redbud, Red Oak, and Shumard Oak. Each has it's downsides for my goals. I'm not sure Honely Locust won't damage asphalt, and Redbud, and the Oaks aren't as fast growing as the others and the Redbud won't be as large as the others but could probably be planted a lot closer.

I'm sure there's probably a lot of opinion and preferences in this but I'll be interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

Comments (67)

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider