SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lam702

Disinterested Grandfather

lam702
7 years ago

My parents divorced when I was a child. My father, who lived nearby, rarely bothered to visit us, telling us he "had a new little family" when he remarried. When his "new little family" decided to bail out on him, he came to us for support. Now, apparently, he is fine and only contacts us when he wants something from us. With Thanksgiving approaching, I invited him as I always do. . This year, I told him we were also celebrating my son's recent engagement. My son lives across the country, so its not like he gets to see him often. You would think that his grandfather would want to see him and share in the celebration. But no. He made up some lame story about how his daughter from his 2nd marriage was in town and he was spending Thanksgiving with her. Unbeknownst to him, I called my half sister and told her that if she was in town, please come for Thanksgiving to my home. She told me she was not going to be in town. My father lied to me, he has a neighbor he prefers spending holidays with. I'm pretty sure he tells them his family doesn't invite him, and that is not true. He simply doesn't care about us and enjoys playing the role of neglected father to his neighbors. This is not the first time he's done this, although I've learned to expect it. It is so hard to understand a grandfather that just doesn't care to see his grandchildren. My mother, God rest her soul, adored her grandchildren and holidays with them meant the world to her.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH