SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hkaimono

Need expert advice - subtly white washed floors

hkaimono
7 years ago

We recently moved to a new area and are building a new home. We'll have 4500-5000 sqft of hardwood flooring. I want a subtly whitewashed floor, similar to inspiration photos attached.

The area we've moved to is smaller and pretty traditional, such that our builder (fabulous by all accounts from aquantances and strangers alike) does not have a contractor he works with who has used a water based poly, much less a hardwax oil. I have found 1 or 2 two local contractors I could call but they look very small and my builder understandably won't warrant the work (I've seen images/blogs of distasters from poor application). Therefore I'm trying to come up with as close to a traditional finish (i.e. Stain followed by oil based poly) as possible.

this is where I need advice.

- I am requesting Pall-x 98 waterbourne poly (to prevent yellowing). I'm assuming someone very skilled at oil based should be able to apply water based as well. True?

- I want to do a diluted white stain on the floor prior to poly. From research I think I've landed at:

- using red oak to avoid the majority of the tannin pull that is found at higher levels in white oak

- not bleaching the red oak (the lighter of the 2 floors attached bleached the red oak...) to keep the complexity of the job down

- trying a diluted white paint with grey and green (to counteract the pink of red oak) undertones to stain the floor. I have seen this written up online and the results (if the photos can be trusted) look promising.

i still have questions /doubts about the diluted paint stain for the floor. Do I use oil-based paint & mineral spirits or latex & water? I know oil based stains from Bona are compatible with the Pall-x 98 (spoke w a Pallmann rep) but I wonder if it's riskier (compatibility-wise) than a water based stain. But I understand water is what leads to tannin pull and the stain will go on before the sealer. Any thoughts/experience?

Alternatively, the Pallman rep gave me the name of a contractor about 2 hrs away who uses their hardwax oil a lot. Don't know if he'll travel to me, my builder strongly prefers using contractors he has a standing relationship with, and I've never seen the finish in person but have heard great things.... (I've used Rubio Monocoat on furniture and teak walls over the past 5 years and love it, but have no experience with it on floors.)

any advice would be very welcome - I spent the entire day researching this and feel no more certain. Do I have any hope of achieving the look I want with the contractors I have available to me? (Btw, we are not really interested in prefinished floors for a variety of reasons.)

thanks!

Comments (14)