SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nanny98

A word (or more) about Cooking. (sorry it is long)

nanny98
7 years ago

The man who founded Williams of Sonoma died last year and somewhere I read his obituary and discovered 'almost' how real cooking began. I was 10 years old when WWII ended, living in the farmlands of San Francisco. Yes, farms and dairies and crops as well as Pigs, Cattle and Chickens on that land, that 7 mile X 7 mile peninsula between the SF Bay and the Pacific Ocean. An amazing childhood where food was not abundant, or given much importance....sustenance, not nutrition...to survive. And Rationing was still a daily job, figuring how to make those numbers and products come together to feed families. Government offices did provide probably the first "recipes" that many women ever saw. Most fed their families by the memories of Grandmas' meals in former homes in far away places.

In 1954 I married and received my first Cook Book. I had learned to cook in Home Ec and had my little notebook of thoughts and recipes. Most young women my age were minimally prepared and there was no TV, few, if any magazines about Food. At least those of us living on the West Coast....our classmates, were in a war, even while we were attending school many of our classmates had been severely wounded and killed during that Korean event.

The thread about 'cooks in the family' made me think about what "MY world " was like before most of the posters began their married lives. It was so different, and reading Chuck Williams obituary was a revelation to me.....so I am sharing this little piece of history with you. I hope you enjoy it. He was a fine man.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!