SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
srb2398061

This and that...words of "wisdom" from various designers

Anglophilia
7 years ago

I subscribe to emails from 1stdibs.com,OneKingsLane, Habitually Chic and The Peak of Chic. They have really become online shelter magazines - makes me fear for the few paper ones that are left. But they're very useful.

Today, 1stdibs featured the work of a young fashion designer, Sander Lak. He talks about the things he learned about home decoration from his mother, when they moved often.

"“The house was always different, the culture was always different, the temperature was different, the people were different,” he says. “Everything was different except the couch and the table and the paintings. That really stuck with me, the idea of having this stuff to surround yourself with to make you feel home, wherever that is, whether the middle of the desert or the rainforest or the Scottish highlands.

“As an adult, I have the same mentality,” Lak continues. “My furniture is my home. All of my stuff comes from all of the places I have lived." He continues, "“It’s almost like a diary,” he says. “Everything has a real personal connection.” " This is what interior design is all about - making it YOUR home, not something that is interchangeable with every single house on HGTV!

Today, the Peak of Chic featured photos from a 1976 issue of Architectural Digest. It is the apartment of Iris Apfel - you know, the very chic, very elderly lady with the huge round glasses? She and her now late husband own Old World Weavers, a to-the-trade line of extraordinary fabrics. In 1976 she said, " "So very little has the solidity of experience and the tangible benefits of knowledge slowly learned...Quality is under siege today, and I doubt whether it can survive the onslaught. Our only hope is that those of us who do care about standards will fight to keep them."" We're even further down the road to its demise today!

And then today's OneKingsLane feature <https://www.onekingslane.com/live-love-home/designer-beige-color-rooms/?utm_source=Daily&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=107462&utm_content=11/14/2016.2748511.am&utm_term=New_Sales.Button.9.

I'm not a huge fan of beige, monochromatic rooms but they sometimes have their place, especially in a small house. There are some great inspirational photos here.

Online shelter magazines such as these are perfect for those who can't afford a lot of shelter magazine subscriptions, and need more than a Pinterest photo - descriptions and explanations as to WHY a room was done this way.

Comments (3)