SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chloe_mccarty

Need help with my indoor palm tree!

Chloe McCarty
7 years ago

In August, my Grammy gave me a beautiful palm tree to keep in my dorm. It's about waist high. It was still in it's plastic black container that she probably bought it in, so a few days after she gave it to me, I repotted it in a clay pot with Miracle-Gro soil. Pretty soon after I got it, I was somewhat aggressive with trimming off dying leaves until I found out that's bad for palms, so I stopped doing it, but the leaves continued to yellow and die. I purchased some palm tree spikes, broke one up, and put it in the pot. Since then, the leaves haven't been yellowing AS much, but they're still drying up and dying! Since August, about 6 fronds have dried up and died, and no new leaves have developed (each bunch has one new frond growing on it, but the growth is extremely slow), and an entire bunch of fronds actually died off. So before where the palm had 3 bunches of fronds growing out of it, it now only has two.
Additionally, I've noticed that when I water it, a bunch of little bugs come to the surface of the soil They're white, sometimes yellowish, and they crawl kind of quickly. I haven't found any on the fronds though, they seem to stay in the soil.

So here's what I think I may be doing wrong, and maybe some of you can help me!

I water it probably once a week, but I don't water it a lot each time, so maybe that's the issue. I also spray it twice a day, because my dorm room is pretty dry, although I run a humidifier every night.

Maybe the soil I'm using isn't good for the palm tree?

Maybe the bugs are causing it to die?

Maybe the fertilizer in the palm spike is burning the roots?

Please help! I want my palm tree to survive, but at this rate, it's withering away!

Comments (13)