SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

How to overwinter a potted chrysanthemum with an unusual petal shape?

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago
A couple of months ago I bought some potted chrysanthemums at an out of state nursery. They had them grouped by early, middle and late as well as color names. The early were blooming then and were the usual common cushion flower shape. I bought a couple of “lates” in “coral” as I thought it would be nice to have something still blooming after the usual kind were done.

It turns out they are not cushion shaped. They are not really exotic, like spider, but the petals are close to spoon shaped. Closer to “quilled” looking, with a small spoon at the tip. The flowers are twice the size of the cushion type. They are blooming very heavily now. They started maybe a month or more ago, and are now completely covered with flowers.

Now that I know these are different, I would like to keep them over and be able to plant them in the garden next year. But it’s mid-November in the Chicago area, so planting them in the ground now won’t work. I have occasionally tried to save mums late in the season after enjoying them on the porch, and have never had any success. The only ones that have ever survived a winter in the ground were planted immediately after they first showed up in the garden centers in early fall/late summer.

What would you suggest? I have 2. Pots are ~ 8" in diameter.

Cuttings? All tips have flowers. I don’t have much luck with rooting cuttings in the fall.

Take the whole plant indoors like a houseplant?

Induce it to go dormant somehow?

Keep it in its pot in the attached garage?

Sink the pot into the vegetable garden and cover with a mesh cage and leaves?

Thanks!

Comments (7)