SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
salicaceae

Araucaria centipede

salicaceae
7 years ago

Here is a cool centipede like specimen of Araucaria heterophylla 'Glauca' I grafted from a side branch several years ago. Plagiotropy is indefinite in this species.

Comments (9)

• bengz6westmd
    7 years ago

sal, do you expect it to survive there? Florida can get some pretty bad freezes at times....

• salicaceae
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Being prostrate i can cover it if vet it if we get too cold. Last 3 winters have not been a problem though. I have A. bidwillii, A. Cunninghamii and A. angustifolia nearby doing fine with no damage with lows of 23 F.

• Mike McGarvey
    7 years ago

Do you think it will develop a vertical sprout at the base at some time?

I'm not familiar with propagating Araucaria, but I have rooted a lot of the glauca form of Cunninghamia lanceolatas from branches and tops. The cuttings from leaders go straight up. The branches are reluctant to go vertical and eventually will sprout a new leader from the base that goes straight up. I call the branch starts 'dumb' cuttings because they take so long to learn to go up as opposed to 'smart' cuttings from a leader. Sequoia sempervirens has the same problem.

I had to look up plagiotropy. :-) Thanks!

• salicaceae
    Original Author
    7 years ago

No, there are no examples of Araucaria branches ever developing orthotropic shoots.

• salicaceae
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Some rooted branches are known to be over 50 yrs. old and still plagiotropic

• Mike McGarvey
    7 years ago

Thank you, salicaceae.

Mike

• User
    7 years ago

Very cool, I want one!

• eric242
    7 years ago

Very cool! Have you grafted any other species of Araucaria "centipedes"?

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

With all the crazy growth regulators and plant hormones available these days, can nothing act as a trigger to start them going upright again? I guess no one has exhaustively tested them, since it is of little commercial importance.